Active Topics

Notices

Excellent!
Thanks Dan. That was really useful. I don't like 'typing' much on the nokia & I'd much rather do it on the PC, so that was great.
The only thing that stumped me was the nokia doesn't have wget - at least on mine. (I use ssh to get root access - maybe dropbear etc gives you wget).

Anyway, I got around that by wgetting it on the PC then scp'ing it over
(scp panucci_0.3~pre0.4-2_all.deb root@192.168.y.x:/media/mmc2/apps for anyone else).
Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to vjones777 For This Useful Post:
Don't know if this has been pointed out yet but..

When you add directories you can only add one level. For example, if my folders are setup as

/gpodder/podcasta
/gpodder/podcastb
/gpodder/podcastc

If using add directory I can only add a directory like

/gpodder/podcasta

If I try

/gpodder/

It won't detect the sub folders with those podcasts.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Thanks Nikosapi. This is nice. Heres some feedback - btw, would you rather have feedback here or in the bug reports section?

These are against 0.3-pre0.4-2
Bugs:

* Mute no longer works.

* In the Playlist Item details screen the filename is truncated for long paths. Could this put on 2 lines?

* The Custom title in the playlist can be changed, but the custom title & title on the info tab always seem to be the same! Seems a bit pointless. Perhaps one of thes could be removed - that would give space for the filename to cover 2 lines.

* The info Image field shows a hex character if there is an image. Is this just for debugging? It's not very informative.

Suggestions

* The playlist add directory shouldn't show empty directories. Better still, put the number of audio fies at the left of directory name (at the left since the filename may be long)

* Save current playlist should be renamed to 'Save current playlist As'. My rationale is that there's no reason to use it unless you want to Save a specific list since the current playlist will be autosaved on close or change anyway, which is really nice.

* I like the player/playlist organisation but I personally think the extra space taken up by the new tabs wastes space. After all, I can get to the playlist/bookmarks with a long press of the bookmark button - great functionality btw. Also, since the current playing item is highlighted, another press in the same physical location (=Jump to button) will restart the player. ie. repeated (long) pressing on the bookmarks location should toggle between playlist and player anyway. So my suggestion is to remove the tabs if dual action buttons is enabled.

Thanks again for the update. Hope this helps improve things even further.

PS - Does (should?) hardware decoding save battery life?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So far.. I've been sticking to this new 0.3-pre0.4-2 version and it's been GREAT! The new features are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated. I'm not sure I see a reason why it can't be pushed out even as-is, despite the things I'd pointed out.
It's been a LOOOOOONG time since anything new came out in the 0.4 pre releases. I honestly don't really want to go back and use 0.3 anymore. (The new features that recently went into the 0.3 don't make up for the playlist tab in 0.4 and the functioning dpad play/pause button, to me. Sorry.).

I've been increasingly annoyed when I keep getting told to upgrade panucci whenever other updates comes along and wondered if there was any any idea when 0.04 will be released. It's great as-is, even with the bugs its currently has, and there's really no good reason for going back to the 0.3 line.

Anyway.. any idea of when to expect a 0.4 package would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's been a LOOOOOONG time since anything new came out in the 0.4 pre releases. I honestly don't really want to go back and use 0.3 anymore. (The new features that recently went into the 0.3 don't make up for the playlist tab in 0.4 and the functioning dpad play/pause button, to me. Sorry.).

I've been increasingly annoyed when I keep getting told to upgrade panucci whenever other updates comes along and wondered if there was any any idea when 0.04 will be released. It's great as-is, even with the bugs its currently has, and there's really no good reason for going back to the 0.3 line.

Anyway.. any idea of when to expect a 0.4 package would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sorry 'bout ignoring Panucci, my ADD got the best of me this summer :P

Anyway, I made up a package for the 0.4 release which can be found at our garage downloads page. There isn't anything new in there except for a small scrolling labels bugfix; but at least you won't be pestered to downgrade from now on. I won't push this to Maemo Extras because I don't think it's polished enough, and the version in extras has a feature or two that haven't been implemented in the current version.

I'm going to get started working on 0.5 now and will try to address all the issues reported by everyone in this thread.

Thanks for sticking around,

nick

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikosapi For This Useful Post:
Excellent. Thanks for that. I was finding the update reminder a bit annoying (especially the first couple of times I accepted the 'upgrade') and had to reinstall it again.

One minor thing to consider for 0.5, I find the buttons in the playlist window a tad thin - it always takes me several attempts to select any of them with my (fat?) fingers when I'm using it on the go. If you could increase the height of the Add File etc buttons by about 50% that would be nice.

I know you and Thomas are working on gpodder integration so we can delete listened podcasts from within panucci. I must say I'm really looking forward to that as I currently have to navigate to each episode twice - once to listen then again in file manager to delete it.
Best regards.

Originally Posted by vjones777 View Post
I must say I'm really looking forward to that as I currently have to navigate to each episode twice - once to listen then again in file manager to delete it.
Best regards.
But you can delete them directly in gpodder. That's what I always use.

Apparently it doesn't auto-remember the playing position on exit in the new version. Is there a way to re-enable that?

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
I'm currently running v 0.3.9 on Maemo 5 (n900), but it looks like this testing version has some features which I would like to test out (am aware of all the caveats re installing test software ... ) - is it possible to install it on fremantle??

Also, f I install the .deb from the garage that will give me an updated (but "testing" version)... If I then unistall I assume I'll be able to go back to the 0.3.9 version from the repos?

Last edited by zail; 2010-03-13 at 13:22.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zail View Post
Also, f I install the .deb from the garage that will give me an updated (but "testing" version)... If I then unistall I assume I'll be able to go back to the 0.3.9 version from the repos?
If you can't checkout the 0.4 release from Git and run it from source, please don't use 0.4 until it's officially released as packages. The .debs from Garage are built for Diablo (Maemo 4/N8x0) and are not in any way tested with or built for Fremantle (Maemo 5/N900). Even if you get it to work, the UI will at best look horrible and at worst not work at all. Use the 0.3.9 series in Extras for the best experience.

You can find the source at http://nikosapi.org/git/panucci/.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:

Tags
panucci, testing