Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
I sure did. But I'm really looking forward to you telling us how the battery kept going. Or not.
You're going to need to wait for final for that since there's still so much work being done on exactly that right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
You're going to need to wait for final for that since there's still so much work being done on exactly that right now.
Am I the only here feeling a little uneasy that battery life is only getting "so much work being done" on it at this late stage?

Michal! Great to see you here! It's been a while since Mobius Boston, and I see you're now using a 50D.

Anyway, excellent N900 preview (blogged about it)! Thanks for providing some screenshots of some that I have not seen before like the rich-text email editor, calendar views, phone portrait mode screens, PDF reader app, and Documents To Go (Word, Sheet, and Slideshow).

Last edited by Reggie; 2009-09-29 at 14:43.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
+1 for the article, with on minor correction: I believe its 1200 DMIPS. The 2000 DMIPS is a theoretical maximum for the 1GHz Cortex A8 (you get the 1200 following the 2DMIPS/Mhz pattern).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Am I the only here feeling a little uneasy that battery life is only getting "so much work being done" on it at this late stage?
You're putting words into my mouth. It isn't ONLY getting work on it at this late stage. It's been getting work on it this entire development period. It's a long-term on-going process, so no... it's not something that was just started last week or something.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
You are.

Battery life is always one of the last things to be tweaked as other features need to be nailed down and tested throughly before the battery life targets can be set and met.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by My-Symbian.com View Post
Regarding the "few tech details I got wrong", I'll be grateful for pointing them out so that I can correct them.
Thanks again for your very informative and enjoyable preview!

here are the few things i noticed:

"(the first superscalar CPU in a Symbian phone)"
this is not a symbian phone

"memory available for installation of 3rd party software (i.e. actually the whole rootfs file system) seems to be limited to a relatively small capacity of about 256 MB "
i remember reading somewhere here in this forum that this actually won't be a problem, because the rootfs is supposed to be around 1 GB in the final version. i can't find the source for that any more, so i guess it still remains a rumour
what i did find was this thread. the mailing list linked in the last post is a good hint that many applications have already been modified to use /opt, so the small rootfs (if it stays small) shouldn't be that bad an issue as you make it out to be.

"enabling USB host mode"
information on that is somewhat limited, currently it's all speculation.
it might be only a software issue, maybe a small adapter is needed, but it could also be that it won't work at all. the only thing that is certain is that there's no official support.

@My-Symbian.com

Haha we don't mind you talking about unoptimized things, because as you clearly pointed out. It's unoptimized yet! But true given that they have the ability to change drastically it may not make sense to bother with anyway.

And bah on the fragile state of the n900 screen. I guess you gotta sacrifice something to have the sensitivity?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Battery life is always one of the last things to be tweaked as other features need to be nailed down and tested throughly before the battery life targets can be set and met.
Yeah, you guys are probably right. The same sort of stuff was being said about the iPhone when it was launched.

For those people with the n900 unit and an NDA. Do we assume the NDA has now expired since the My-Symbian.com is out and Nokia gave him the unit to review?