Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
The reason I'm seriously considering this is because the powered USB host is starting to look questionable, and making a powered external digital compass with separate battery could end up being too large to be useful.
I do not get this idea at all. How are you going to use a compass, which has to be parallel to the camera AND parallel to the earth to work? Users would want to be able to hold the camera up and pan it, at which point the compass stops working due to gravity. If you get past this though, you could just use a lens over the compass to distort it into something legible to the assumed long focal length of the facing camera.

Personally, I do not need any ARG software to make comments about the ground or my shoes and pants.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TedMilker View Post
How are you going to use a compass, which has to be parallel to the camera AND parallel to the earth to work? Users would want to be able to hold the camera up and pan it, at which point the compass stops working due to gravity.
Let's think a bit out of the box... First, the compass does not need to be parallel to the Earth. If it's a ball compass, it can rotate freely and you 'just' have to recognize the orientation of the ball. But, even if you decide to go with a classic pin compass, say, because of size considerations, it still doesn't mean you have to be parallel to the camera - just that you need a small mirror or prism on the camera. Massive effort for questionable results ? Absolutely, but not impossible

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The N900 not only has additional 768 Megabytes of swap, but it is stored in a dedicated, fast NAND memory.
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
The best explanation yet, imho...
The swap is NOT on its own dedicated NAND. It is a partition on the internal 32GB. Sorry.

It is still unclear whether the N900 has an FM radio or not. Official specs do not mention it and there's currently no trace of it on the device, but remembering how it looked the same (and that even several months after the device started shipping) in case of the N800 Tablet until software enabling it was suddenly and unexpectedly released by Nokia, it doesn't have to mean anything. So we'll have to wait and see.
Yes, it's there. There will be community-developed support for it very soon.

Originally Posted by My-Symbian.com View Post
Regarding the small storage capacity for software installation, I am well aware of the /opt (actually, home/opt) directory providing some 2 GB worth additional space. But the problem is that it is NOT being used by installable software packages. The only software that installed there was Dataviz' Documents-To-Go whereas (if I recall correctly) the "guideline" is that all apps larger than 500 kB (including all dependencies) should go there. Apparently, this is being ignored. Even the "official" Bounce Evolution (17.5 MB) installed under root ("/") and ate a lot of that precious space.
Seriously. As Quim and others have been telling us over and over, don't worry about it. It probably shouldn't be in your review, because your discussion of the topic makes readers worry about something that they shouldn't be worried about.

If you look at the wiki, mailing lists, talk threads etc, you'll see that the /opt thing is very new, and it will take some time to get that all sorted out. I know that most community developers are planning to put their stuff there, and I'm sure all of the apps in the repositories will get the maemo-optify treatment, too.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Seriously. As Quim and others have been telling us over and over, don't worry about it. It probably shouldn't be in your review, because your discussion of the topic makes readers worry about something that they shouldn't be worried about.

If you look at the wiki, mailing lists, talk threads etc, you'll see that the /opt thing is very new, and it will take some time to get that all sorted out. I know that most community developers are planning to put their stuff there, and I'm sure all of the apps in the repositories will get the maemo-optify treatment, too.
But it is a limitation, and however adroitly it is dealt with, it is still there. It shouldn't be brushed under the rug just because "we shouldn't worry about it". As you said "most" developers are planning and dealing with, not all. Someone will create/port an app that isn't properly optified, and someone will find the right combination of apps that eat up.that 65MB and causes all sorts of bad things to happen. At least if people are aware of it they can keep an eye on their free space after installing apps and possibly avoid unexpected problems and/or notify the developer of a potential issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
The MySymbian review is far too lenient ! Nokia may well have written it. I will take this review with a pinch of salt however thorough it seems. It appears Nokia has dropped the ball here - lousy keyboard with no Dpad, fragile screen which appears a fingerprint magnet, lack of basic features eg MMS, limited potrait mode etc.

I think I'll stick to my brilliant N810 and trusted Symbian phone for now.

Last edited by franklinn; 2009-09-30 at 02:48. Reason: typo

do you have a device to even make these judgements on ?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to boinger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, VFAT, Ext3 and swap.
How did they tweak the 5 seconds interval write for the journaling part of ext3 ?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
As you said "most" developers are planning and dealing with, not all.
As I mentioned over in the My-Symbian forums, this is going to be dealt with at the infrastructure level with the Extras QA process. Really, seriously, it's not something users need to worry about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
How did they tweak the 5 seconds interval write for the journaling part of ext3 ?
Can you provide some background on this issue?

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
The screen part was a little discouraging, but I had planned on buying a screen guard as soon as possible. I'd opt for Zagg, but they haven't made it yet. Until I get something, I'm going to have to take SUPER CARE of my N900 .
I highly recommend boxwave's anti-glare screen protector. I've had the same one on my n800 for around 2 years now and never had to replace it; the screen is much more visible, and to me it also enhances the texture of the screen.