Active Topics

The swap is NOT on its own dedicated NAND. It is a partition on the internal 32GB. Sorry.
Sorry, I got misleaded by Forum Nokia device specs mentioning 768 MB of NAND.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900

Yes, it's there. There will be community-developed support for it very soon.
That's fantastic!

Seriously. As Quim and others have been telling us over and over, don't worry about it. It probably shouldn't be in your review, because your discussion of the topic makes readers worry about something that they shouldn't be worried about.

If you look at the wiki, mailing lists, talk threads etc, you'll see that the /opt thing is very new, and it will take some time to get that all sorted out. I know that most community developers are planning to put their stuff there, and I'm sure all of the apps in the repositories will get the maemo-optify treatment, too.
GeneralAttiles explained it to me yesterday. It is a truly great news.

Thank you guys for all the comments and corrections. I will update the preview today with all the new information I got.

As I wrote, the preview was supposed to be just an introduction, and it will be replaced with a final, full review shortly, so I'm really thankful for all the information which will help make it really extensive and 100% correct!

But it is a limitation, and however adroitly it is dealt with, it is still there. It shouldn't be brushed under the rug just because "we shouldn't worry about it". As you said "most" developers are planning and dealing with, not all. Someone will create/port an app that isn't properly optified, and someone will find the right combination of apps that eat up.that 65MB and causes all sorts of bad things to happen. At least if people are aware of it they can keep an eye on their free space after installing apps and possibly avoid unexpected problems and/or notify the developer of a potential issue.
That's what I am seriously worried about, too, and I'm discussing it with GeneralAttiles on the My-Symbian Forums. Life is more complicated than we usually think and there always will be some developers stubbornly making their software to install to "/", there will always be other repositories than Maemo Extras not really taking care about only hosting "proper" packages, and there will always be users who will do completely unpredictable things. For instance, if the "guideline" is that apps bigger than 500 kB should install in /opt, I can imagine someone filling up his rootfs with lots of packages of 300-450 kB each (which will require installing several hundred of them, but who can be sure that the N900 won't be that popular in a year or so to have that many small applications? and I know people who have that much software installed on Symbian phones). That's why I suggested to GeneralAttiles that besides what's being done on the Extras repository level, there should be some additional "protection" on the device/system level.

- Is there "smart dial" when dialing a number in portrait mode? You use the "T9" keypad to tap the first letters of the name (the 3 letters under each number, but you tap only once), and the phone proposes you the corresponding contacts. I found this really useful on my HTC, because you don't need to open "contacts" anymore. it misses a lot on the iphone too. It seems to be present in landscape mode, but in portrait?
On my SW version, it seemed that "smart dial" worked with the hardware keyboard only, i.e. in the landscape orientation only. Actually, when I used the hardware keyboard to start typing (which opened the Phone app with the "smart dial" input bar) and then closed the keyboard, which caused the Phone app to switch to portrait, I could continue typing using the virtual keyboard, but it wasn't possible to open the virtual keyboard directly in portrait mode, as there is no text field to tap on, and the virtual keyboard opens only when you tap on an input field...

- About the week view of the calendar, can you adjust the "scale" of the hours, so that for example you can see from 8am to 6pm without scrolling?
No.

one correction: N900 and iphone 3gs don't have same gpu.
N900 has SGX530
Iphone 3gs has SGX535
Thanks! I learn something new everyday!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to My-Symbian.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, VFAT, Ext3 and swap.
Just checked. You're right. I though it was on his own chip as the Specs were stating "768Mb NAND chip"

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Sure, how ext3 work for it's journaling is by writing a log of its filesystem transaction to disk every 5 seconds so to be able to recover if the power is cut, there is a crash or whatever...
You make it sound like if it was introducing a write every 5 seconds, no matter what (and then conclude it'll wear flash).

It is not. If there are no writes there's no log to write. In fact, it'll try to combine writes done between the 5 second period, which may actually help reduce wear.

My worry is the unneeded performance hit.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by manda View Post
]Iphone 3gs has SGX535
Can you confirm this? That page is non encyclopedic at all (for a start, it does not have sources), and there have been thousands of reports about it using different models.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Apparently the SDK and dumps refer to a certain IMGSGX535GLDriver (I can only offer googling as references, though ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
it sounds reasonable provided the 3Gs uses a samsung cpu/gpu package rather than the TI Omap cpu/gpu package as used by the n900.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Please confirm the release date and will this device coming to ASIA before X-mas?

Originally Posted by grenadejumper View Post
Awesome review from My-Symbian.com. Big up! I am eagerly awaiting the full review, as I am a bit worried about the battery-life.

I have a question somewhat related to a paragraph in the preview:

I was wondering if someone knew if there were any ways (perhaps from third parties) to create images of your phone? Similar to Norton Ghost for computers? The thing is I am kind of a linux n00b, and have on occasion been known to break my linux-box, and forced to reinstall. Incremental backups would therefore be a good solution in case I suddenly do something stupid (which, let's face it, is inevitable).
in the case you use Windows, do you know if Norton Ghost itself makes backups of flash drives? because in this case, you could attach the N900 to the PC and make the image/restore...

making a little research I found this (look at half page):
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00101617144125

dunno anything native for Maemo or other OSes.. hope it's of some use anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
the first one is really well done, i can tell you that...detailed and clear..and with many photos..good work my-symbian!

Last edited by Jack6428; 2009-09-30 at 13:13.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As I mentioned over in the My-Symbian forums, this is going to be dealt with at the infrastructure level with the Extras QA process. Really, seriously, it's not something users need to worry about.
Really seriously, that's when I start worrying. Usually, when I hear phrases like that, it's from a salesman, and I walk away. In my experience, "don't worry" means start looking around, it won't work like you're being led to believe.

As my-symbian pointed out there are many ways this might become a problem for a typical user.

Tell me that any app that gets through Extras QA has a hard limit on the total size of files it can install or (at some later point) write in /. Tell me that a user will have to jump through multiple warnings and hoops to install a 3rd party repository. Even given all that, some users will blindly click and install anything from anywhere.

I'm sure that a new user will be quite happy to hear that their new device crashed because / is full, even though they checked and saw 500+MB free where the programs as supposed to go. When they post a thread complaining the response will be that "you only had 65MB free on / to start with, you didn't know to check that because we don't mention it, because you don't need to worry about it".

I'm just saying that it's there so we shouldn't ignore it, otherwise there'll be a new thread every week where someone did something stupid and filled up / because they weren't worried about checking it.