Active Topics

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
So I have an n800, and I have loved messing with it by installing debian, etc. but I was wondering, will the n900 be as open as the n800 is/was? I would LOVE to hear that it was still open to the point where one could possibly install debian and integrate it's features as seamlessly as you can on the n800. I think the possible introduction of payed apps could add pressure to lock up the root from the average user, for fear of illegal distribution. I would hate to see maemo stray from it's open roots though (pardon the pun). Does anyone have any info or insights regarding this matter? Thanks =)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by freekyfrogy View Post
So I have an n800, and I have loved messing with it by installing debian, etc. but I was wondering, will the n900 be as open as the n800 is/was?
Significantly more open, actually.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OpenOffice runs fairly well, although Gimp crashes when you touch the picture with a tool for some reason...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by freekyfrogy View Post
I think the possible introduction of payed apps could add pressure to lock up the root from the average user...
Please see qgil's blog post, "Software freedom lovers: here comes Maemo 5".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
[Insert an "as open as your momma" joke here.]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Of course the announced switch to Qt will mean saying good bye to lots of well known tools. But hey, it’s all Free software in the end.

What does this mean, ? Does this mean maemo 6 is gonna be whole different platform ?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Bytales View Post
Of course the announced switch to Qt will mean saying good bye to lots of well known tools. But hey, it’s all Free software in the end.

What does this mean, ? Does this mean maemo 6 is gonna be whole different platform ?
No, it doesn't. GTK will still be supported by the community.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bytales View Post

Somewhat. The argument is that "only" the toolkit changes, while the rest of the platform stays more or less unchanged. But of course Qt alone is a very big chunk of the platform a developer gets into contact with. You will still be able to use Gtk/Hildon though, as long as it gets properly maintained and updated by the community. How well such applications will integrate will depend primarily on the extend of the community effort, just as it is the case with Qt on Maemo 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
Following a discussion on Michael Lauer's blog, I've been having a look at the list of closed packages in the nokia-binaries repository and the N900 kernel source code.

The conclusion I've come to is that you need closed source binaries for at least the radio transmitter (fmtx-middleware), OpenGLES acceleration (libgles2), Nokia’s proprietary GUI/calendar/location/... components, GPS (location-daemon) and battery charging (libbmeipc0). All the rest of the hardware seems to have open source drivers in the kernel (although I'm not 100% sure of this).
If I am wrong on any of this, please correct me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joenix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Please see qgil's blog post, "Software freedom lovers: here comes Maemo 5".
I had a total nerdgasm when I saw the picture on that site... After the hassle of rooting two G1's, to have that out of the box would be incredible! I am DEFINITELY upgrading to this when the end of my contract comes around... When's the expected release date?