Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
Thread discussions are a bit less scary to throw ideas into even if they are not reasonable...
I agree forums are great for throwing ideas around, but things can get lost after a while. I don't think stickies are that great an idea (maybe just one sticky per forum for FAQs) as I've seen some sites with dozens of stickies, which is too much! Instead, I think once things have been discussed enough to keep for posterity, they should be put on a wiki or on brainstorm or similar.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Well, my idea is actually try to implement the 'good ideas' in the competition, I think in the end we all win.

- The programmer delivers a piece of software and can won something, and also receives recognition and gratitude from the community,
- The community receives a bunch of new developers and widgets.
- The users and innovators can have his ideas implemented.

This is just a idea, if others don't see potential here, I'll shut up
I for one think it is a great idea (starting to sound like a parrot). With some twitter action it could bring lots of ideas, lots of attention and lots of PR. Widget ideas is something a lot of people, developers and users alike, can have. All good. Nothing is stopping non-winning ideas from getting implemented either.

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-10-03 at 21:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South east, UK
Well, my idea is actually try to implement the 'good ideas' in the competition, I think in the end we all win.

- The programmer delivers a piece of software and can won something, and also receives recognition and gratitude from the community,
- The community receives a bunch of new developers and widgets.
- The users and innovators can have his ideas implemented.

This is just a idea, if others don't see potential here, I'll shut up
Please dont get me wrong i realy like the idea and i would like to see it implamented just wasent so keen on the one run by nokia for the n97.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I agree forums are great for throwing ideas around, but things can get lost after a while. I don't think stickies are that great an idea (maybe just one sticky per forum for FAQs) as I've seen some sites with dozens of stickies, which is too much! Instead, I think once things have been discussed enough to keep for posterity, they should be put on a wiki or on brainstorm or similar.
Good point and I agree stickies can be a nuisance. What about a temporary moderated/maintained/whateveritscalledthatzerojaydoes sticky for widget proposals and one for apps (and absolutely one for newbie FAQs) now that maemo and n900 is hot-hot, just so the threads aren't lost and ideas are strewn all around again? When the thread traffic eventually decreases we non-stick the threads and do the above.

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-10-03 at 21:51.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sk299 View Post
Please dont get me wrong i realy like the idea and i would like to see it implamented just wasent so keen on the one run by nokia for the n97.
Np, my idea is a bit different from the n97 widget contest, if I recall correctly they choose mockups/ideas and only the winning mockups/ideas were implemented.
My main proposal is a competition for widget creation, I.e we'll evaluate 'ready to ship' widgets, not mockups.
A good widget for Maemo5 isn't that difficult to make, Zerojay and fiferboy already proved it.

Last edited by VDVsx; 2009-10-03 at 21:51. Reason: typo

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South east, UK
A good widget for Maemo5 isn't that difficult to make, Zerojay and fiferboy already proved it.
Im an engineer i wouldent know where to start with programing, i do like the idea and i would love to be able to contribute more.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Wonder if there is any sport widget ... my boss really likes to have NCAA one, while I am sure people love to subscribe their favorite sport channels as well. However, a RSS feed widget would not do much good job it seems.

Hm. Some people are big on horoscopes. Would a stand-alone (I am sure there are RSS feeds for such things but someone who are into it might want it separated from the RSS widget) daily horoscope widget be of interest to anyone?

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-10-04 at 00:57. Reason: clarity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
<pupnik> i want a n810 doorbell
* matt_c (n=mcroydon@95.118.124.24.cm.sunflower.com) has joined #maemo
<lcuk> pupnik, make one
* shdb has quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
<lcuk> grab a picture, grab a sample of a doorbell, make it ding dong
<lcuk> 20 minutes?
<pupnik> Push webcam to any phone otg also
* shdb (n=shdb@217-162-129-64.dclient.hispeed.ch) has joined #maemo
<lcuk> feature creep!
<pupnik> )'<
<lcuk>
<lcuk> keep it simple
<pupnik> lol
<lcuk> theres a thread on tmo at the mo for widgets
<pupnik> coughing
<lcuk> ask for a doorbell

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I like that "wife notifier" one!

Image of contact + last called X hours ago, last emailed x minutes ago, last sms x whatever ago + some alarm type functionality?

Tags
fremantle, requests, widgets