Poll: Are you going to get the new N900?
Poll Options
Are you going to get the new N900?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Soulfarmer View Post
That'd be like stealing the attention? I agree with above posts, it is not just you, but some other people have made even less "on point" topics, like "Two questions?" and nothing else in the topic...
+1
And you would only get curious people's attention or people who have a lot of time to waste (I'm in the 2nd category, I generally ignore vaguely named threads, but I'm bored).

I voted maybe, I'll wait until we know if USB host is supported or not. If not supported, I won't buy it (USB flash drives / USB HDD transfers are a big part of my use of the N810, more than web browsing for example).

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I'm struggling with this decision. The software is exactly what I want, but the hardware is exactly what I don't want (too-small screen for my eyes, too-fat brick shape for my jeans pocket).

The HTC HD2 is my ideal hardware: smaller than an N810 in all dimensions, yet a larger screen at 4.3 inches (and capacitive too!). But I would be extremely reluctant to buy a Windows Mobile device.

I have mocked up the N900 in cardboard, and it's less comfortable in my jeans pocket than my bigger-but-slimmer N810. Sigh!

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Haha sorry... I thought of trying to grab people's attention to this thread by using the curiousity
It's not a big transgression, but it's anti-social to use meaningless subject lines on a busy forum so please don't make a habit of it.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Still debating. I will be pre-ordering something for release at the end of September. At the moment it's running about 60/40 in favour of the n900 over the satio. I will make up my mind after the Summit when there's a better idea about apps and people with the 'sale' models can answer one or two questions I still have.

voted no, screen size is too small, its not a tablet its a smartphone

Originally Posted by RichS View Post
agreed. if they had kept the hardware and form factor of the n810 and just improved the interior i might be tempted (after a 50% price drop). i have about 1300 books on my n810 now and can't see myself going back to paper or dragging a kindle around. i'd love to stay loyal to nokia in the future if they come up with an n810 update, but only then.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston, MA
me either. i am not sure i need a keyboard. i have a N810 now, and i actually prefer to use the touch screen keyboard. i will take a look at the N910 or N920 or whatever is next and see if that device suits me.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
This distinction is going to become increasingly nonsensical as soft & hard technologies evolve. I already think it's a pretty daft debate.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by choubbi View Post

I voted maybe, I'll wait until we know if USB host is supported or not. If not supported, I won't buy it (USB flash drives / USB HDD transfers are a big part of my use of the N810, more than web browsing for example).
What software do you use to get USB host on the N810?

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
If Apple have proved one thing, it's that their iPhone/iPod form factor is a winner. It's a perfect compromise of dimensions. I am hardly surprised to see Nokia take heed of this.

Personally, I liked the N810 dimensions. The screen really did seem 'big enough' to be a convincing UMPC (or whatever nomenclature-du-jour you prefer). But with the same resolution and better acceleration, I can see how the 3.5" N900 can still look great - it certainly seems very readable in the demo videos.

If the device has a POSIX-compliant OS that you can SSH into, you're way beyond mere 'smartphone' technology.

Nope, not at those prices. Specs seem great and I'd love to be able to put some apple fanboys in their respective places.

I damn near bought a used smartphone instead of the "used" N810 I bought for $125 this past January. Soo, I got a great deal, and if I could get an N900 in a year for a couple hundred with no contract, I'd be in like Flynn.

Camera upgrade is good, screen size is a downer (although traded for overall size = null), phone option is great, but I'll never add 50+ bucks a month for some service. I don't know what the cost would be for the phone service, but I do know that many people are paying more than a grand a year to keep ugrading phones and keep 3G service. That, my friends, is too much bucks. I can wait to get home, or work, or a hotspot and check messages, or surf or whatever.

I'd say $300 bucks of the cost of this fancy new beast is for hype alone.