Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
PAYG means prepaid. You pay in advance and then use till you get to 0 credit. This way, you never get surprised by fluctuating bills. And, sometimes its the only option. Like when you are visiting a country. Yes, A-GPS uses network data, but very little.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
PAYG means prepaid. You pay in advance and then use till you get to 0 credit. This way, you never get surprised by fluctuating bills. And, sometimes its the only option. Like when you are visiting a country. Yes, A-GPS uses network data, but very little.
I know what PAYG is, but I cannot see how it works with 3G data. I have used it in the past, and do not plan on using it with the N900, but I am confused about how data is charged for. On my network in the UK, Orange, data usage use seems to be a separate thing on the contracts, and no mention of it is made on the PAYG talk plans. Bear in my mind that I have never owned a smartphone, as they have never interested me before I saw the N900, which is more like a tiny computer. I would no longer have to take my ThinkPad ultracompact everywhere I go with this new Nokia.

Originally Posted by equim View Post
3 also seem to offer an add-on to their pay as you go service where you pay £5 for a month of internet access.
You also get a 150MB allowance valid for 90 days when you buy £10 or more credit. So with reasonable usage patterns you can get 5 months of data out of a tenner :-)

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
I tested that offer last year, with a 3 PAYG SIM in an unlocked phone, but it seems to only work if you bought the phone from 3. They sniff the browser string.
Has been working fine for me (microb & tear) for the past 14 months or so.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Thanks lma. I'm not quite sure how you got 5 months from 90 days though - or are you saying that after 3 months you'd use the £10 credit for 2 months? Isn't that charged at 30p / MB? That would give you less than 17 megs a month for those last 2 months - that sounds a bit low!

You also get the 150 MB with a £5 top-up (again, according to the price guide).

Have you tried the £5 for 2GB / 30 days add-on? I don't think 150 MB will last me a month but I'll try it out to start with.

Also, have you tried any non-web services like SSH? I'm a bit worried that they'd block other ports.

The Following User Says Thank You to equim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by equim View Post
I'm not quite sure how you got 5 months from 90 days though - or are you saying that after 3 months you'd use the £10 credit for 2 months?
Yes (more correctly it would last 150 days rather than 5 months), as 2 x this :

Have you tried the £5 for 2GB / 30 days add-on?
For my usage patterns (primarily email, jabber & ssh, with a bit of browsing on the side) the allowance is more than enough - I'm now on day 87 with more than 100MB remaining. YMMV, but even though you could for example download Fedora DVD ISOs with bittorrent I don't see the point ;-)

Also, have you tried any non-web services like SSH? I'm a bit worried that they'd block other ports.
Yes, SSH, IMAP, SMTP, XMPP, SIP (signalling, audio quality depends on the connection quality and is usually not that great) all work fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
I know what PAYG is, but ... I am confused about how data is charged for. On my network in the UK, Orange, data usage use seems to be a separate thing on the contracts, and no mention of it is made on the PAYG talk plans.
If your PAYG phone has a web browser, you just browse away and Orange will deduct £2 per day (more if you exceed 25 megabytes, less if you only download a trivial amount).

To reduce this cost, you can buy an "extra" which deducts an amount from your PAYG balance in advance. For £1 you get all-day access (25 megabytes maximum), or for £5 you get access for a week (25 MB per day maximum).

The details are here:
http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_pla..._internet.html

You can buy the bundle from the phone by voice (I seem to recall the number is 453 and you need to go through many levels of nested voice menus), or by the phone's browser from the Orange start-up page, or from the Orange website if you've registered your device and set up an account with their website.

The words to search for are "Orange World". Not an intuitive name for "Mobile Web Access" is it? I guess the name is a remnant of their attempt to set up a "walled garden" for their users.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Has been working fine for me (microb & tear) for the past 14 months or so.
On a non-3 phone? How did you bypass the proxy? On my LG KU990 the network settings received from 3 somehow disable the "Edit" button, whereas those from T-mobile and Orange didn't.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
On a non-3 phone?
Both on a 3-supplied S2 and an unlocked/unbranded E61.

How did you bypass the proxy? On my LG KU990 the network settings received from 3 somehow disable the "Edit" button, whereas those from T-mobile and Orange didn't.
I didn't do anything special, but I didn't receive settings from 3 either - just used the operator wizard on the tablet.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
New UK MVNO starting this year, runs on O2 network, could be interesting.

http://www.giffgaff.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Munich, Germany
well well well..

Mobile Phones Direct have just cancelled their Vodafone PAYG subsidy on the N900.

The price is now equal to 'SIM Free' at £449.99
http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/...spx#tabsAnchor

I guess this is as close as we'll get to a confirmation that the PAYG pre-orders will be shipping without network lock to Vodafone UK

They've also changed availablility date to Saturday the 1st of November - Presumably they mean Saturday 31st of October!?
..unless they're talking about shipping in 2015

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Withnail For This Useful Post:

Tags
£306!!