Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Alright, i'm new to Nokia tablets. I've been trying to figure out what all the keys & key combinations do.

I assume that bottom-left key is the shift for upper case. The key above it is the symbol/number shift (let's call it <Alt>). The key above that is the <Ctrl> key and... what is in blue? It looks like it says "symbol". Is it symbol/number lock when combined with the <Alt> key?

What happens when the shift key and the <Alt> key are pressed together? Is that a <Tab>? What about the Shift and Enter, or Shift and Backspace? Does Shift+Arrows default to word-skip like <Ctrl>-arrow on desktop?

So many questions.

The <alt> key is called <FN> key and it is the key which give you the blue access

I don't know if there is any function of what you said but what I know will that ctrl + c = copy , ctrl + v = paste and maybe ctrl + x = cut

Last edited by abu9al7; 2009-10-09 at 10:48.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post

So many questions.

There is a Nokia N900 manual on the Nokia website. I remember it having a page showing all the keyboard shortcuts.

goodluck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
It begins on page 22 of the manual. Thanks.

There really is NO tab key or key combination. I thought this was a linux computer. Pfft. :P

Otherwise the setup seems pretty good.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
My kingdom for a pipe! Seriously, that's the #1 annoyance on my n810. So much so that I went and bought a bluetooth keyboard. (Second up is lack of { and }; you're not properly lazy until you do that to save retyping a bunch of junk).

The tab isn't too bad; I just got used to hitting the on-screen button with my thumb or finger.

But having to close the keyboard, tap the xterm to get the on-screen keyboard, select other keyset, select symbols, peck out the | is beyond annoying.

Hmm. Perhaps I should have spoken up sooner.

thanks a lot for the manual I didn't know about it before

Originally Posted by solarion View Post
My kingdom for a pipe! Seriously, that's the #1 annoyance on my n810. So much so that I went and bought a bluetooth keyboard. (Second up is lack of { and }; you're not properly lazy until you do that to save retyping a bunch of junk).

The tab isn't too bad; I just got used to hitting the on-screen button with my thumb or finger.

But having to close the keyboard, tap the xterm to get the on-screen keyboard, select other keyset, select symbols, peck out the | is beyond annoying.

Hmm. Perhaps I should have spoken up sooner.
You can add a pipe to the xterm toolbar, just goto the menu -> Tools -> Settings... , click the 'Toolbar shortcut' button, click 'New', for title enter | (or whatever character you want on your toolbar to represent the pipe), and value is
Code:
bar
I hope that minimizes some of your frustrations.

Other shortcuts I find useful (I have n800) for the dash ( - ), the value is:
Code:
minus
and for the underscore ( _ ), the value is:
Code:
underscore

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
There really is NO tab key or key combination. I thought this was a linux computer. Pfft. :P
I agree...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I agree...
Try Ctrl + I for Tab. It's a Linux computer after all and Ctrl is simply a modifier key subtracting 64 from the ASCII code of the pressed key.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by solarion View Post
My kingdom for a pipe! Seriously, that's the #1 annoyance on my n810. So much so that I went and bought a bluetooth keyboard.
There's xmodmap for remapping or adding keyboard shortcuts to the N810 hardware keyboard. It will probably be available for the N900 as well shortly. I use Fn Space for Tab and Fn - for | on my N810 FI/SE/NO (Scandinavian) keyboard (see below). Also Fn , for [ and Fn . for ].

Details:

These files are under /home/user. The new keyboard map is activated when X Terminal is first started after boot.

.profile

Code:
export ENV=~/.ashrc

.ashrc

Code:
... Unrelated code for PATH, aliases, etc. ...

if ! xmodmap -pke | grep -q "keycode \+21.*bar"; then
  xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
  echo "Additional keys mapped"
fi

... More code for ssh-agent, extra kernel modules...
The code above prevents running xmodmap more than once after boot.

.xmodmap

Code:
keycode  21 = minus underscore underscore underscore bar underscore 
keycode  65 = space space space space Tab space
keycode  59 = comma semicolon comma semicolon bracketleft semicolon
keycode  60 = period colon period colon bracketright colon
Attached Images

Last edited by jethro.itt; 2009-10-09 at 06:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: