Active Topics

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
This seems bloody obvious to me, but never underestimate the ability of a management team to think that fancy marketing will trump basic economics.
Agreed. Though we can certainly hope that isn't the case here, and they do actually go through with what we've been hearing.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
This is from the guy who runs Tmonews.com.
Doesn't mean he's telling the truth or even been informed correctly. If all TMO employees had to sign a couple NDAs we won't know till someone flips the switch if any of this is anything more then speculation.

All we can do is hope that our dreams of an inexpensive plan for the Geeks of the world is really in the works and soon to be in affect.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
50 bucks flat rate for everything is going to change the hell out of the US market if its actually the case. It undercuts the bejebus out of pretty much every other company
boost already does this and you can get your BB88xx'series unlocked and have email and everything else for $50/mo.

the US market is changing and pulling a couple of good units out with contracts before it gets even more muddy financially here in the US is a good thing.

a little data birdy said that ATT will be launching a series of netbooks before christmas and that tmo will be launching 1-2 netbooks after christmas.

also, i believe that this black sumtin sumtin is more data driven then some mobile phone. tmo has a really tiny sim device that data card developers can use which helps in the design of units. lets see if this comment stirs any pots or laughters?!

Last edited by ceroberts75; 2009-10-13 at 06:46.

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
boost already does this and you can get your BB88xx'series unlocked and have email and everything else for $50/mo.
1. The only blackberry model to work on Boost's iDEN network is the 8350i, there are no 88xx series that can work on it. Also when I say work, it's a very limited level of functionality. Due to a lack of service support on the Boost network, email and other data services were left out. Voice and (very) limited text only.

2. Yes Boost does have a $50 everything plan, but Boost Mobile only has the iDEN GSM/GPRS network with some very lacking dumb phones. There's no 3G, there isn't even a 2G, you get a max speed of about 19kb/s. If the unlimited everything includes a real internet plan with 3G and the possibility of 4G in the future AND the use of nice phones like Blackberrys and the N900, this *will* shake things up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes, cpufreq handles the speedstepping. For users, there's absolutely no need to worry about any of this.
So? Unless you're transcoding video 24/7 there's almost no need for it to be at 600MHz at all times.
I want to clarify things: in the talk I have preferred to warn people against the worst case scenario - which can well happen.

Damage to the silicon happens when the system is forced to run in overdrive mode (550&600) constantly, because of the extra voltage required by these operating points.

Tampering with these sort of settings puts the system out of its supported operating range.

Edit:
But normal usage is ok and only those who are planning to do 24/7 number crunching on their phone should be worried.

Last edited by igor; 2009-10-13 at 17:02. Reason: Adding some more clarifications.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by igor View Post
I want to clarify things: in the talk I have preferred to warn people against the worst case scenario - which can well happen.

Damage to the silicon happens when the system is forced to run in overdrive mode (550&600) constantly, because of the extra voltage required by these operating points.

Tampering with these sort of settings puts the system out of its supported operating range.

Edit:
But normal usage is ok and only those who are planning to do 24/7 number crunching on their phone should be worried.
Lets say I never put computer off. Including phone. I put it on AC.

Now I experience a bug, for example in Flash (as I experience such bug on Linux desktop) which uses 100% CPU. On desktop I not even notice since the thing has more than enough resources (quad core etc).

Now my phone is in 500/600 range whole time, correct? Is this dangerous?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Missouri
According to TI the OMAP3430 features the "TWL4030 is the optimized all-in-one audio and power manager" and "TI's SmartReflex™ power and performance management technology" which has "Sensors that adapt voltage dynamically in response to silicon processes and temperature variations." In any case, if this is built like regular CPU's it should have a temperature threshold, when this threshold is reached it should shut down to prevent any hardware damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to kopele For This Useful Post:
After doing a little research, I discovered some things you guys might be interested in. I was curious as to why you guys kept mentioning 500mhz as a max when Wikipedia mentions 600mhz, so I started looking for links from TI to back up that speed. I found something perfectly fitting.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg13152.html

In adition to mention the max clock speed of the TI OMAP3430 as being 600mhz, I specifically love this part:

Recently there was some change to also measure active time at max overdrive for same usage mix. This resulted in still meeting lifetime goals for typical usage.

This can translate to a smart phone maker of being able to use overdrive as they see fit and still have long life (assuming they can supply adequate power and still dissipate what ever additional heat there is). This is still not 100% of the time in active mode.
Looks like even if someone *was* doing full 24/7 number crunching at 600mhz that the CPU could hold up as long as it didn't overheat(which we can't guarantee)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Looks like even if someone *was* doing full 24/7 number crunching at 600mhz that the CPU could hold up as long as it didn't overheat(which we can't guarantee)
It's not only about heat. It's about the operating voltage. The value required damages the silicon. Of course the expected lifetime of the device is where the discussion should focus.

Which one of the components will fail first?

Ideally you don't want them to have too different lifetime and using the CPU locked in overdrive mode will definitely shorten its life.

Up to the point that, toward the end, it will not even function at lower voltages.

This doesn't apply to every unit, but we have to consider field failure rate and come up with margins that do not get it out of control.

Like in any other processor, some units support higher clocks at the same voltage, but we refer to nominal values.

The Following User Says Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago-far NW side
If Project Black is a low cost plan, Wal Mart beat them to the punch http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-64206872.html. This should pressure all carriers to be more competitive on price.

The Following User Says Thank You to thunderstruck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
If Project Black is a low cost plan, Wal Mart beat them to the punch http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-64206872.html. This should pressure all carriers to be more competitive on price.
interesting, but from what I see this does not include 3g.
Even so, does anyone know if it would work with the N900?

Tags
rumor