Hi,

I agree on the fact that some polishing has to be done. But in general I think the wiki is not the first page you go to as a new user without any information about maemo and that it should just provide deeper information about certain topics regarding community, users and developer. Perhaps a category like newbie might be useful as with the new device, new types of user come into place. I guess the normal average user might think more about development, by reading information about "how to become root".

In general I am afraid, that we just duplicate content with those pages. IMHO that is one of the problems of the wiki we have to solve. The Maemo Basic page is on the one hand quite ok, but I see there information which can be found in so many places (Forum Nokia, maemo.nokia.com, about page in the wiki, main page of maemo.org, etc.). I think that it would be better to choose one of this links (like maemo.nokia.com) and put it on the main page as it provides the information about maemo itself and the device in a pretty good way. The information in the wiki is really important and a good source, but IMHO just when you go one step further, than the information, which is for example mentioned in maemo.nokia.com. And I don't think that this is a bad thing.

So my suggestion would be to be aware of not duplicating too much information, which makes updates harder, and which might lead at the end into wrong information. IMHO it would be nicer to bundle that in the places, which already exist, link them and try to concentrate in the wiki on concrete information, which might be interesting for different target groups like it is now and perhaps add a newbie category. This should then for example not explain that there is an application, but more about specific problems/solutions.

Cheers Daniel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Is it possible to put banners at the top of pages (e.g. by putting pages in "special" categories) to say whether the content of the page is aimed at developers, or advanced users, with a gentle warning? Similarly, is it possible to put in a banner to say which device or OS the content is written for?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
pelago that is an OUTSTANDING idea! Some pages would be multipurpose so they could be flagged with a small, hyperlinked banner for each relevant target. The links would go to a home page for the target.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
The information available on the Maemo Basics page isn't really available in distilled format anywhere that i've seen, which is why i put it there.

There will be people buying a N900 (or N910 etc) that will not be developing but will want to participate in maemo. That have no idea what linux really is, or what maemo is about, or understand the way it's put together, but will want to know more. If we want that demographic here (do we?) then we need to streamilne a maemo walk-through for them that gives them the informational tools they need to understand how their device works and how they can profitably participate on maemo.org.

I think the best way to deal with new arrivals to maemo.org is to present an attractive welcome page that identifies itself (home of the maemo community) and provides links to follow to alternative maemo walk-throughs depending on one's purpose and interest. That's more or less what i tried to describe above.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I would just like to add that I would like this site redesigned for better viewing on microb. It doesn't load correctly for me - one would think designing for 800x480 would be a priority given the resolution of the tablets.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I find it humorous that you are all talking about editing the wiki, instead of just doing it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I find it humorous that you are all talking about editing the wiki, instead of just doing it.
It's what always seems to happen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't.

You're making the common but serious error of seeing no value in discussion... but it's precisely talk that CAN prevent mistakes.

People are quick to criticize meetings and discussions as wastes of time, but the real waste is time spent fixing major screwups that result when there has been no meaningful discussion... been there, dealt with that.

I find that spending more time planning, interviewing and assessing means less time on the overall project. Lot of value there.

That said, talk is surely wasteful if there is no facilitator to translate it into action. But don't fall into the trap of thinking all talk is cheap.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-15 at 00:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
This isn't DO.maemo.org !!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The biggest easy change is to fix the prominent Wiki link on the front page of InternetTabletTalk.com, remember that? It links to an older Wiki that is never updated; I think that the last update was made by ME when I put a link to the new Wiki in it. Having that obsolete Wiki so prominently available is dumb, if it should be kept, it should be moved elsewhere.

And why am I not making the edit? InternetTabletTalk was trashed against my wishes, so you Brave New Worlders can take responsibility for cleaning up the mess.