Active Topics

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
! !

does anybody know if there is a similar application around for maemo? or for linux in general that can be ported?
I allready see myself embraced with my girlfriend teaching her which star/constellation is which one in the summer evenings...
hah, these romanting young fellas...

ps. sorry for the OT
Not yet, but Im keeping an eye out.
Sine it is already running on android, I dont think it will be long before something similar happens for maemo...

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
As far as I understand it, a stargazing application would require a digital compass (not present on the N900).

Apart from that, it would be quite a bit more impressive if there was an actual good view at the stars, which is pretty rare for most of us city-dwellers.

Originally Posted by mdl View Post
I just want a pocket computer that can run all the beautiful *nix software I rely on (vim, emacs, w3m, etc.)

So two questions:

1) When people say that maemo 5 doesn't have a lot of apps, are they specifically referring to apps tweaked for the mobile device/touchscreen?

2) Am I completely naive in thinking that one can install .deb packages on this thing?

The best way to run Debian apps is Easy Debian, but AFAIK it hasn't been ported to Maemo 5 yet.

I don't think the average user is going to install a full Debian environment under Maemo, though, so that's probably why you've heard there aren't a lot of apps. But porting them to be directly in the Maemo repos should be fairly easy for devs, so I wouldn't worry.

Vim is installed by default, at least in the SDK.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
pupu
how about taking the 10-20 brightest objects visible in the sky (take a picture) and work out based on a starmap?
or is this wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too big a problem?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
pupu
how about taking the 10-20 brightest objects visible in the sky (take a picture) and work out based on a starmap?
yes... You're not going to try and do image recognition of faint light points your camera can't even see...
Not including a compass is to me the biggest (and only?) mistake that Nokia made for the N900...
(nonetheless it's gonna rock for all the other "classical" usage )

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
pupu
With all the light pollution, the bright objects in the sky are probably airplanes and any app would show you what's supposed to be there more than what you actually could see.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
You don't really need an internal compass on the device to enjoy a star gazing application. OK, it would look nice to rotate with your movement. However Stellarium is fantastic on a laptop and just knowing your approximate cardinal is fine.

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
The best way to run Debian apps is Easy Debian, but AFAIK it hasn't been ported to Maemo 5 yet.

I don't think the average user is going to install a full Debian environment under Maemo, though, so that's probably why you've heard there aren't a lot of apps. But porting them to be directly in the Maemo repos should be fairly easy for devs, so I wouldn't worry.

Vim is installed by default, at least in the SDK.
Thanks for the very helpful info. Checking out Easy Debian now --- and one step closer to sending in my preorder.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
does anybody know if there is a similar application around for maemo? or for linux in general that can be ported?
Hmm, someone is porting Stellarium to Maemo. This has at least manual location support. Not sure about GPS, and for function with autorotate you'd need digital compass I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I have just thought of something
I have two seperate numbers assigned to my sim card, one for business and one for personal - does maemo or nokia support this?

Damn - never occurred to me to think of this...