Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by liveslow View Post
The N900 effects look to be subtle and sophisticated. However, i may end up turning them off or speeding them up to the point you can hardly tell. Sometimes, especially with a phone, the quicker i can get through the screens the better.
The transitions in Fremantle are generally set so as to take about as much time as it takes to perform those transitions, so turning off animations wont save you much time.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Will it be possible to disable the "pixie dust" when closing an app from the dashboard? From videos, most of the transitions look ok, but those little sparkles look a bit cheap to me!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
There's a problem with the app where it conflicts with wiicontrol.

one question is,

does disabling the transition effects makes the system runs better/faster?

thinking from PC desktop aspect that system will run smoother without eye candy so wonder if this scenario applies to N900 as well.

I have used transition control and put almost everything on 10. Definetely snappier.

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Will it be possible to disable the "pixie dust" when closing an app from the dashboard? From videos, most of the transitions look ok, but those little sparkles look a bit cheap to me!
Try deleting or replacing the sparkles image on the images folder with a transparent png one?
Maybe that works.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Last edited by Lacedaemon; 2010-01-23 at 17:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lacedaemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I've changed nearly all of it to zero. Definitely makes it look and feel much faster/snappier. Highly recommended.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
i want more bling!
and i want more sparkles!

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Although, I altered my setting so much that I had to reflash because everything was crazy/weird by the time I was finished. A useful function might be "Restore Defaults."
Until a Restore to Defaults functionalities makes its way into transitioncontrol (would definitely be useful), here are the defaults:

Name:  Screenshot-20100124-153349.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  23.5 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20100124-153356.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  24.2 KB

(sorry for the weird colors. Using the Marina theme, which is being debugged at the moment - hence the strange fonts).

Last edited by mehdiE; 2010-01-24 at 15:44.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
I've now played a bit with transitioncontrol. I have to say that I generally find the visual effects in Maemo 5 to be excellent. They really enhance the look and feel of the OS without usually getting in your way, slowing you down or being tacky.

There are a few exception of course and that's where transitioncontrol comes in handy:

- Rotate In and Rotate Out: set both to 0 to disable the flip animation that plays when the screen orientation switches from landscape to portrait. This makes the orientation switch not pretty but significantly faster than the sluggish default.

- App Open: set to 0 to disable the zoom in effect that plays when an application launches. Then launch any application from a desktop shortcut (Phone, Contact, Conversation or Calculator would be good examples) and see how it now appears instantly. There is no magic here though - the vast majority of applications, even if they appear instantly, will still need a few seconds to initialize themselves. The benefit of this tweak in real life is therefore probably close to null.

These are the only tweaks I saw that could potentially makes the N900 faster. There are other tweaks that you can make but, in fairness, it's likely that in most cases the performance bottleneck lies in either the applications or in your brain more than in the animations. Here are a few tweaks you might want to try though:

- Subview In and Subview Out: set to 10 to make screen transitions within an application much faster (test with Email or Media Player). Set to 0 to disable the sliding animation altogether.

- Task Zoom: set to 15 to make the task manager's zoom in / zoom out animations play faster. Any value less than that will make the animations too jerky. Set to 0 to disable the animations altogether.

- Launcher In, Launcher Out, Launcher Sub In, Launcher Sub Out: set to 15 to make the fade in / fade out animations in the main menu play faster. Lower values work too but might cause some animations to be skipped altogether.

Last edited by mehdiE; 2010-01-25 at 10:12.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post: