Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
So essentially despite wanting to hate the device he was forced to admit it has some good if not great points. Tell me again how that's a balanced review?

As far as the "genius" of leaving things out. I will take an OS that gives ME the choice to leave something out or include it thanks.
I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't recognize something on its own merits, then I probably can't (and don't intend to) persuade you. Everyone approaches things with their own perspective. Ce la vie, ce la guerre.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
* How does it function as a phone? It is unbelievably great and I experienced no dropped calls on the T-Mobile network. Not a single one.
Dropped calls? What dropped calls? Does he mean calling people does not work on the iPhone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Apple makes its things great by leaving features out, Nokia somehow believes that adding more makes its products great. Maemo suffers from that, but it isn’t something Nokia can’t fix – quickly.
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I think we have to add the AppleFanBoyReviewBalancer to his review.

It's a simple equation that properly evaluates reviews by FanBoys.

AppleFanBoyReviewScore + DefaultScoreRemovedByAppleMindControl = Actual Review Score

therefore the review is actually

6 + 3 = 9/10

Not bad at all for the N900!

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2009-10-20 at 05:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Whatever the case is, this phone is worth more than 6/10 imho.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Different mobilists do things differently, which is why we have so many models. If you follow GigaOm, you'd know he's an iPhoner, and people that prefer it have their way of working and playing, and different expectations.
Agreed, that background explains why he didn't consider what are the three key points about N900 for me in any way important:
  • Fully integrated internet-based communications, IM just as well as SMS, VoIP just as well as cellular calls
  • Multiple processes, I can have several chats, a browser, my calendar and other things running and switch smoothly between them
  • Open process for developers to publish their software to the device

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
I agree with Texrat that the approach of Apple works for a certain audience type. I believe that is also what makes a bunch of us angry. When that majority of user type uses it as a status symbol or boastfully parade around with the device thinking that it does everything that they will ever need, we get furious. We know that it isn't designed with multi-tasking, is locked down in its Bluetooth capabilities (no tethering, no external GPS pairing, etc.), locked down app store (you wont find Kismet or aircrack-ng there), can't load flash in web pages, can't categorize apps into menus (Work, Communications, Utilities, etc), can't pick anything smaller than your finger without first zooming IN. It pisses us off.

The reviewer also didn't mention any of these items and is why a lot of us believe that he is a "iPhone lover". They're oblivious to features or I should say "feature oblivious".

I like that saying "feature oblivious". The stamp of a standard Apple user.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
As an avid reader of gigaom for a few years, you would know that Om is well known in recent years as a Nokia hater, he actually used to be a big S60 fan back in the E70 days I believe that was his primary device.

He lives in the Silicon Valley bubble which revolves around Apple and monetization of technology. There can be no argument that Apple has hit the jackpot with the App store when it comes to mobile apps and money and until a service comes along that can generate at least 50% of the revenue for developers as the App Store, it will continue to rule the Valley hive mind.

That said 6/10 is ridiculous with all of the praise he gives the device. If he had said 7 I would have bought it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
I think we have to add the AppleFanBoyReviewBalancer to his review.

It's a simple equation that properly evaluates reviews by FanBoys.

AppleFanBoyReviewScore + DefaultScoreRemovedByAppleMindControl = Actual Review Score

therefore the review is actually

6 + 3 = 8/10

Not bad at all for the N900!
lol, you need the MathControl module
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
6/10 for a product that's the fourth step out of five isn't bad. Fanaticism in both directions is rather tiresome.

He didn't think the N900 was the best thing since sliced bread. Some of you think so... and are upset it didn't get a 7/10 score. 1 point doesn't deflate your overall enthusiasm; that's the room it has to improve.

Sure, the N900 does SMS, VoIP, telephony and chatting. Doesn't do MMS yet. Same was the issue with the iPhone which finally got it. N900 does do true multi-tasking... sorry, I can't get behind the serial tasking that the iPhone does... add more RAM, gimme that ability Apple.

There's flaws, lack of 3rd party support, the 4 out of 5, some minor omissions that start to whittle it down from a 10.

And for the record, I'd say the iPhone is a 5 out of 10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: