Active Topics

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Slovenia
I don't know if it was possible on 770 to use Bluetooth headset, but on N800 with BT 2.0 it should be possible to use A2DP(stereo bluetooth transfer), that would be one of the main reason's why I would buy N800, is there any chance that this would be implanted?

Best regards, DK

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
As of November 2006, Nokia have NO plans for Bluetooth headset support.

Now the "next" release is presumably out of the way, this should be brought up again.

EDIT: I've brought it up in a new thread that you can monitor - will post a link shortly.

Link: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/14417

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-01-13 at 21:14.

That's disappointing. I just bought an N800 and the store display recommended getting a Nokia headset. I was frustrated to find here that the headet I bought wouldn't work. Nothing in the docs for the n800 or n the bluetooth control panel suggested that the headset wouldn't work.

I had to come here to figure out why.

Nowhere does Nokia suggest or imply that the Bluetooth A2DP profile is supported by the N800. Just because something isn't mentioned in the docs does not mean it is supported - quite the opposite.

The store display panel is at fault - you might want to consider obtaining a refund as the store is guilty of false advertising.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
I've owned a Palm Tungsten T3 for years, since they first came out. Over all those years we were told that the T3 although it had Bluetooth for connecting to the internet and for syncing with a PC it was not, no question, no way what-so-ever, able to handle audio! That was it, final, no way!

Well, for the last few weeks I have been listening to audio, A2DP, on my Plantronics 590A Headset being sent out from my Palm T3, yes, the very T3 that officially can not use Bluetooth to output audio! Able to switch between listening to stereo MP3s on the Palm T3 and answering 'phone calls on my cell 'phone! Use the 590s buttons to raise and lower volume, skip tracks, and pause on the T3 which officially does NOT support audio!

All done with a 3rd party software installed on the Palm.

So, if this is possible by someone writing software to access the Palm T3's Bluetooth to support A2DP audio stereo output, should it not also be possible to do the something similar with the N800?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
P.S. Hey, what's the chance of someone finding an FM chip on the T3

I was doing a search On EBAY for "Nokia N800" right now and this came up...

a10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset For Nokia N80ie N800 E62
http://cgi.ebay.ca/a10-Bluetooth-Ste...QQcmdZViewItem

PS: I almost bought them. Do they work or is the seller lying about it?

Milhouse, I think the store display is made by Nokia. It's the one used in CompUSA. The display has Nokia phones and the 770 and N800. There's a sign recommending bluetooth headsets that is part of this display.

It is definitely not intuitive to a consumer that a Nokia bluetooth-capable device would be incompatible with a Nokia bluetooth headset, esecially when the tablet is promoted as having voice chat.

I'm not saying that Nokia has to support headsets, but they should make it clear if they do not support these. This would result in less confusion (fewer returns and support queries).

That I had to turn to a developer forum to find out this info suggests that there will be a decent number of consumers who fail to find this and who will have a sub-par experience with their Nokia device as a result.

Last edited by zippy; 2007-02-19 at 07:12.

Zippy - I totally agree that the display sounds confusing, but you should still have grounds to claim a refund given that the display is so confusing/unclear.

However I don't agree that Nokia should make it clear when a device doesn't support a particular feature - can you imagine how long the list of "not supported" features would be?

There are exceptions to this rule however, and the display case which confused you would be one example - if the N800 is being sold alonside A2DP capable devices then the display should make it clear that A2DP is not supported by the N800.

There is a spec list available for the N800 which clearly lists the supported features, if something isn't listed then it's best to assume it isn't supported.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-19 at 17:20.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
However I don't agree that Nokia should make it clear when a device doesn't support a particular feature - can you imagine how long the list of "not supported" features would be?
The engineer in me wants to agree with you, but the consumer in me is confused. If Nokia didn't mention Bluetooth, it would be fine.

If Nokia clearly (on the box) said "Bluetooth for keyboards and networking only", then that would be fine too. They could even throw in a "check our website for compaitibility" disclaimer. As long as they're clear about it, then there's less chance of confusion on the part of the potential buyer.

I'm not accusing Nokia of pulling a fast one here, just asking that they get their message together. If I go to Apple, I expect Apple's peripherals to interoperate. Similarly, if I go to Nokia, I expect the same. The value of brand names like Nokia and Apple is that things "just work" unless explicitly marked otherwise.