Active Topics

Notices

my 770 says there's an update available for canola but fails to download the file when i tell it to update the program, saying the file does not exist. should i presume i need to uninstall the 'old'version and download the new version and install it?

john

I'm with schmots..what the heck is canola?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
I have been early beta testing beta 2 of Canola, which was released to a few people for early testing. I have not seen the Canola team confirm it's general availability yet? (any moment perhaps ?)

So I believe we all need to wait patiently for announcement of the official new release?

Canola provides for local, network and internet media playback in a great interface. The latest release is more stable and works well on Nokia 770 and/or N800. It now supports many native language's such as French, Spanish. (when the device is set to a local lang and the required lang files have been installed for Canola)

Canola will only play formats that Nokia Audio/Video supports, but it does not support the closed source formats i.e. RealMedia (I think I am correct here?)

Once Nokia improve the video playback on the Nokia N800, Canola will take advantage.

I use TVersity as my network UPnP media server and for photos and audio it's working very well. With local playback, I think the videos playback better in Canola than the new media player on N800?

As I said until the Canola team announce beta 2's release and general availability? (the page unofficially posted in this thread for downloading beta 2 of Canola was for the testers only and required a username and password? I do not think it was ever intended for everyone.)

To have an idea of what's coming in Canola beta 2, read this post in Gustavo's blog if you have not already done so http://blog.gustavobarbieri.com.br/2...-almost-there/

Last edited by MikeL; 2007-02-17 at 19:55.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
MikeL - I picked up the announcment from Gustavo's blog, and got the download link from Lasse Korpela's blog entry which also turned up on Planet Maemo - I now see Lasse's blog has been edited to remove the download link.

The original blog from Gustavo didn't make it clear this was a closed beta - want me to remove the download link from my post or add a warning? The update from Lasse is that all bugs should be reported on #maemo, so I think the message is don't install this unless you intend to help by discussing bugs on #maemo and if not, just uninstall Canola beta-2. If it works for you, great.

EDIT: I've removed the link anyway as I suspect it was the wrong thing to publicise.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-17 at 20:40.

argh, I downloaded the file before it was removed
Now, the big question: Where exactly I can report bugs?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Now, the big question: Where exactly I can report bugs?
At https://garage.maemo.org/projects/canola/ :-)

I believe Canola Team are almost ready for the general release of Canola beta 2

Last edited by MikeL; 2007-02-19 at 11:41.

Ahhh ok, sorry... I am blind again

Doh, just moments early, I really want to try this.

Problem #1 is that Canola (public beta 2) leeches off wi-fi networks promiscuously. In so doing, it even knocks my home PCs off their connections.
I'd like it to stop trying to connect.