Notices

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Claws doesn't support IMAP IDLE (unlike Thunderbird), as far as I can tell.
Even the message storing format with claws is different I believe. It's not the standard MBOX format.

Modest OTOH uses MBOX format.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Even the message storing format with claws is different I believe. It's not the standard MBOX format
Claws uses MH format which is nearly as standard as mbox (it's the same thing but with each mail in a different file, it's good for performance with large mailboxes). There are a lot of plugins for claws, and one of them enables to use mbox format and is available for Maemo (i didn't try it!)

Claws-mail is really a full featured & customizable mail client (as much as Thunderbird IMO), but it's really not suited to small screen and finger usage.

It's my main mail client, but it has required some training and it may not be for everybody - YMMV

The Following User Says Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Claws doesn't support IMAP IDLE (unlike Thunderbird), as far as I can tell.
Nope :-(

But then again neither does modest.

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Modest OTOH uses MBOX format.
Not really, it uses Maildir for local folders and its own one-file-per-message structure for the IMAP cache.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Evolution, or its netbook port called Anjal? Anjal is developed for Moblin, and is optimized for 1024x600 which is almost the same proportions and 800x480. I just tried it, and it looked OK. It is optimized for stylus/mouse though, and uses GTK/GNOME and Webkit. Here are some reviews and screenshots.

http://blogs.gnome.org/sragavan/2009...oblin-updates/
http://blogs.gnome.org/sragavan/2009...-for-netbooks/
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...nd-for-Netbook

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Anjal would be wonderful.
That is only if the calendar gets included.
Looks like things are gradually happening:
http://blogs.gnome.org/sragavan/

A port of Evolution in Anjal form (or any other form) would justify switching from WinMo to Maemo.

A port of Korganizer/Kmail would also justify ditching WinMo but i'd much rather Evolution(far better calendar sorting/filtering).

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I once spent a little effort - but not enough - trying to get offlineimap running on my N800 - it works well with GMail, is effectively just a set of python scripts, and stores mail in a format that Modest can understand. It does two-way sync, so changes you do locally will get sent back to the server. I use it on a Ubuntu box to keep a local copy of my GMail messages.

I seem to recall there was a dependancy issue, and my Maemo guts skills are not really up to par to begin with, but it may be worth looking at.

The usage would be that Modest just interacts with a local sorage, and offlineimap synchronizes with the server on a demand and availability (of WiFi link) basis.

Joe.

The Following User Says Thank You to jthiemann For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Evolution, or its netbook port called Anjal?
They use Camel for their IMAP support, which is (how shall I put it politely?) less than brilliant. Tinymail (used by modest) forked that a few years ago and improved it immensely, but it still falls short IMHO (otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion).

I find it absolutely incredible that so far there's no alternative to outlook equal in functionality. I would love to ditch MS Windows and Windows Mobile and move away any day but i just cant.

One of the major set backs is "custom view" functionality, which is absolutely crucial to operation (see attached image).
Not one so called "outlook alternative" has this. Evolution comes closer than anything else but provides about only %50 functionality in comparison.
There's no word to describe how much i don't understand developers on this. A little "sort, group and filter" provides so much more bang as opposed to a basic category filter(Korganizer).

.......But we'd rather talk about widgets, sports trackers and other useless bits of crap. And it doesn't matter that it's just about 2010 outside. We'll wait another 10 years and wonder why......

Maemo forum is probably not the best place for this but i just couldn't resist. Thank you for your understanding.
Attached Images

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ppppppppppp View Post
I find it absolutely incredible that so far there's no alternative to outlook equal in functionality.
What is missing in GNOME Evolution?

Andre,

For example:
1. How do i only display tasks with category names starting with "Home:" in Evolution???

2. How do i group tasks or journal(memo) entires as shown on the picture below in Evolution???

There are many others(text formatting/field presentation) and they are all things that matter to me more than the OS choice.

Don't forget that view customization in Outlook is the same across Mail/Tasks/Appointments/Notes/Journal.
Also, i'm not just putting down linux alternatives - every other alternative linux or not(MS Entourage doesn't count) claims that it can do stuff but doesn't even come close!!!
But it's so simple to get equal....
Attached Images

Tags
evolution