Originally Posted by att View Post
Probably something to do with this:

3 Mobile SIM card rejected
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5315

Nokia is targeting a fix for the end of December. Maybe N900 is delayed in Sweden due this?
didn't 3 UK's SIM cards also suffer from this bug?
if that's so, it shouldn't just be delayed in sweden...

anyone heard something from UK retailers?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I must be a bear of very little brain: I can only see 4 out of the 25 that have critical relevance to the n900. 9 are for linux desktop, 5 relate to this website, and the rest are related to certain apps, developer tools or app systems (like Qt).

The n900 ones are the known issue with 3 sim cards, and some instability about alarms, along with 2 email issues.

Or am I even more stupid than even I thought?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
"Actually looking at these Other significant bugs I don't see how they can release it. "

I'd say most of them will be fixed in release device and the others are all fixable through software upgrades...i hope. This is one the things that make me want to buy this phone - although new bugs WILL appear, I'm sure they'll all be fixable.

Right?!

Originally Posted by GunnerzMate View Post
"Actually looking at these Other significant bugs I don't see how they can release it. "

I'd say most of them will be fixed in release device and the others are all fixable through software upgrades...i hope. This is one the things that make me want to buy this phone - although new bugs WILL appear, I'm sure they'll all be fixable.

Right?!
Check out this article on how Nokia have been handling firmware updates. They've been doing a horrible job, how different will this be for n900?

http://www.nokiausers.net/General/No...e-Updates.html

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by zdux0012 View Post
Actually looking at these Other significant bugs I don't see how they can release it.
I think your query to search for defects was a little too robust. Some of the one's in your list were against the N810.

Here is a more accurate list, pretty small for the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Check out this article on how Nokia have been handling firmware updates. They've been doing a horrible job, how different will this be for n900?

http://www.nokiausers.net/General/No...e-Updates.html
The difference is this in Linux. Nokia doesn't have to work on the whole OS like Symbian. Upstream Debian and the other open source projects used can do a lot of the dirty work for Nokia as far as updates are concerned. Nokia just needs to push the updates.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by zdux0012 View Post
Actually looking at these Other significant bugs I don't see how they can release it.
As has been pointed out some of those are for other devices and other versions of Maemo. But that aside most of those bugs reported look pretty benign to me.

There are no bugs reporting brickdowm caused by sending text messages. Contacts disappearing, eternal buzz in the speakerphone of the phone or screen flickering/freezing.

The most serious I see is the unsynced audio and video in the video recording mode. And that's bound to be fixable by a software fix.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
The difference is this in Linux. Nokia doesn't have to work on the whole OS like Symbian. Upstream Debian and the other open source projects used can do a lot of the dirty work for Nokia as far as updates are concerned. Nokia just needs to push the updates.
Just curious, how many developers are committed to Maemo, not the apps but the O/S and essential services? Its hard to see who simply have accounts v.s those that are committed to coding.

On a PC, if I feel the open source community is not keeping up, I can simply buy Windows. However once I've purchased this 600 dollar phone, I'm stuck with the generosity of the community who could be busy with their day jobs during the "great recession"

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
On a PC, if I feel the open source community is not keeping up, I can simply buy Windows. However once I've purchased this 600 dollar phone, I'm stuck with the generosity of the community who could be busy with their day jobs during the "great recession"
The vast majority of Linux kernel developers are paid. Most of the larger OSS projects are dominated by developers working for someone, not hobbyists.

The Following User Says Thank You to sharper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
On the phone with Nokia USA right now. They canceled my pre-order, supposedly due to implementing a new ordering system. They seem to not want to honor the offer for free bluetooth headset and reduced extended warranty cost. They are offering a 10% discount, though.

Update: They are escalating the issue to "upper management" to see about extending the promo offer that has since ended. They also confirmed an estimated release date of mid-November.

Update 2: Thread started here to discuss cancellations, etc.

Last edited by rewt; 2009-10-26 at 21:06.

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange