Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
We are reaching the point where a Brainstorm proposal with potential solutions would be useful http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

To start with, it would be good to know whether the prospects of publishing in the Ovi store are interesting to a small or big portion of Maemo community developers and contributors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
How to deal with the VAT requirement when most community software is developed without anything resembling remotely a Ltd company? Is a company acting as proxy something to be considered?
Maybe this is one area where professional groups can function? Or would we need to create a "maemo.org Ltd"?

Nowadays only companies with a VAT number can publish in Ovi. If
How to deal with the VAT requirement when most community software is developed without anything resembling remotely a Ltd company? Is a company acting as proxy something to be considered?
For my own apps, that's one thing. For a repackaged community app (e.g. gnumeric in my case) or just those who want to enable donations to a worthy cause, how about providing an easy way to hook the project donations into an established foundation, e.g. FSF, GNOME, Mozilla?

The Following User Says Thank You to solarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
What if I want the development community to have my hypothetical app for free, though?

Would I be allowed to offer it up to them on the side, or would that go against some rule set out by the powers that be?

I feel that if I took my app and put it on the Ovi store for say, a euro or two, but not available for free here, most people here would frown upon that, and call me a sell out.
We wouldn't call you a sellout. I'm sure it's fine if you pay Nokia for the privilege of offering your product for sale and give it away for free; why would they care?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
What is the difference between paying 1€ and donating 1€? In many (most? all?) countries 1M received through donations is just as taxable as 1M received through sales.
The (non-monetary) difference is that while I don't mind Nokia getting 30% of that 1€ if it's a payment, taking 30% off of a donation for somebody's volunteer work would leave a sour taste IMHO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The (non-monetary) difference is that while I don't mind Nokia getting 30% of that 1€ if it's a payment, taking 30% off of a donation for somebody's volunteer work would leave a sour taste IMHO.
I work for Nokia (Maemo) and I would have to agree with you. I think handling charitable donations via Ovi Store would not be the right way to go. If someone paid via Operator Billing, that would also take more money.

The goal (in my mind, at least) is to allow people that do creative work and are trying to make a buck a chance to sell things via Ovi Store. I think that makes a Maemo (and the N900) interesting, if we get some professional content, and developers that might be developing things on other platforms a chance to create some cool stuff for the N900. On the other hand, we have the community work (some people doing cool, original things and others porting great stuff from the Linux community). This gives a rather unique, best of both worlds opportunity.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolo For This Useful Post:
Why not stop depending on OVI store?
Let's create new one then?

Now the real questions what we need?
1- Server?
2- Programing an automated way to process apps
3- Labors (We could use a new approach with Open/Free/Volunteered people and consider a donation or smiler way to keep it going?)
4- Payment method? (Paypal + Depending on 3rd party which provides premium SMS payment)
5- Making some rules
6- ????
7- ????

This way it will be totally controlled by the community & the real question is How this will be going and will be able to catch some big names?
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Good, so after few posts we can see that supporting donations in Ovi would imply changes in their UI (optional payments, different amounts, all this localized to supported languages), changes in their business model (70-30 seen as unfair for donations) and changes in their legal framework (need to check the implications of handling donations in each supported country).

Add to all this the problem of allowing the registration of individuals operating below the VAT registration, since they are the main target group for uch donations.

And also add the possibility of having to consider even more complex scenarios, like local non-profits or having to split revenue among more than one developer (the real situation of most community projects likely to get donations).

So you see, a hard nut to crack. Again, even beforre considering a proposal for the Ovi team it would be good to get a consensus in the Maemo community about what makes sense, what has top priority and so on.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
The bear brain says that I shall probably look at the Ovi store first, since there's a desktop link. Joe Public may not even find the maemo repository. Which means that if the bulk of apps are not streamed through to Ovi (which I can see is for very good reason), Joe may not find them. And in three months time he'll be complaining that he was sold this device on the promise of lots of apps being developed and they're not there.

Could/would the Ovi store carry a link through to the maemo store? (Assuming there is a 'maemo store'? Can it be made to look kewl and glossy, rather than plain and Open Source? - sorry I'm trying to think like Joe here!)

Could/would the deveoper community set up a small company to register at Ovi, for those who want to charge?

Is paypal the best method for donations?

Edit: I just found this which is really handy for Joe Public. (And do I see Groupwise on there? Trying not to Happy Dance at that possibility)

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-10-27 at 08:20.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Paris, France
50€ will be nothing compare to the tax you would have to pay to your living country... (as for me about 30% of what I would earn) of course it apply only with a commercial apps with a big enought audience

Tags
bizarro ovi store, development, nokia, ovi store