Active Topics

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
vim 7.2.0-maemo5 is entirely optified, you have a bug in your calculation method or are including out-of-date packages.
deb usr opt other
vim_7.2-0maemo5_armel.deb 2598 17940035 0

from nathan's .txt
it seems like he just looked at the wrong column when listing the worst offenders, the data is correct.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Just out of curiosity, if I compile a package I want to have for the most part in /opt/ is it suggested that I move the /bin/myprogram to /opt/bin/myprogram and symlink it back to /bin/myprogram ? even if its a few hundred K ? mainly to save the precious space for other programs that might not be able to be moved?

Would the same go for the /libs/mylibs ?

Cheers
Rip

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
just build your package as you normally would, then use this: http://maemo.org/packages/view/maemo-optify/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Nagoya, Japan
Hi Nathan,

I have released a new version of tomotko in extras-testing that should be optified. I have not verified yet if it really worked. The new version contains the recommended "maemo-optify tomotko" statement in the rules file. I hope it worked as expected.

Regards.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Sorry, I remember reading in the BOF notes that the autobuilder would be modified to autooptify packages?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Sorry, I remember reading in the BOF notes that the autobuilder would be modified to autooptify packages?
Eventually. Not quickly as it'll need to be done carefully (and I've not seen any confirmation that Marius/Ed are working on it). Steps:
  1. Make the auto-builder do it if XS-Maemo-Optify is set to auto. This will insert a call to maemo-optify at the right point in the build process, if the package doesn't already use /opt and some other tests (perhaps runtime Python dependency, depending on what the outcome of Python optification is).
  2. Ask some developers to set this and test. Notify that if testing goes well, developers not wanting auto-optification should start using XS-Maemo-Optify: none.
  3. If all goes well, change the default for XS-Maemo-Optify from none to auto.

Possible values for XS-Maemo-Optify could be:
  • none: no optification should be done, or considered, by the autobuilder.
  • manual: the application author will do optification manually. If the package contains no entries under /opt it would be considered a build failure.
  • auto: maemo-optify would be run if certain heuristics were met (e.g. no entries in /opt, no Python dependency)
  • force: maemo-optify would always be run.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
vim 7.2.0-maemo5 is entirely optified, you have a bug in your calculation method or are including out-of-date packages.
Actually it was my "mistake" -- I had to manually delete all duplicate (older versions of programs) lines. If you look at the attached .txt file; you would see that I had missed removing the maemo4 so I had both Vim 7.2.0-maemo4 and vim 7.2.0-maemo5, of course 4 is not optified so when I sorted it by size it showed up at the top of the list. ;-)

---

Looking at the data it looks like I missed a couple packages towards the bottom in the exact same area . I see a second dup for each of the following packages xkblayouts, vpnc-gui, vim, and usb-network-modules.

My eyes must have glazed over after looking through almost 3000 packages lines... ;-)

(I'll remove vim from the above list)
Nathan.

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-10-28 at 17:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Which is why the conclusion at the BOF was that the buildbot would run maemo-optify on everything at some point in the future, unless the developer specifically told it not to, or the package already installed into /opt.
Meh, every package over x kilobytes, maybe... If the package has only 20kb in 10 shell scripts, it seems to me the introduction of 10 fragile symlinks is more risky than leaving 20kb of text files in /usr ...

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
A concern though is does this mean significant rewrites of current apps, rather than the great and "quick" ports of current apps we were expecting?

A lot of great apps already on Maemo and Linux. Shame if this becomes an obstacle to proliferation of apps to Maemo 5.
Too late for "great and quick" ports of current apps. The Fremantle UI is radically different from desktop Linux, and quite a bit different from Diablo, too, so "quick" ports of desktop apps are almost certainly going to look and behave terribly on the N900 without significant UI rewrites. Diablo apps are also going to be a bit ugly in many cases.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hi,

Here is a little script i ve made in python to help me localize which package eat most of the space. It s not optimized and a bit long to analyse packages, but seems to work.

Did you think doing a real app for user will be usefull to analyse where space are lost ?

moptinagi.py

import commands
import os
import hildon
import gtk

details = ''
less = ''

r = commands.getoutput("/usr/bin/dpkg --get-selections")
packages = r.rsplit('\n')
for index,package in enumerate(packages):
print 'Processing packages ',index,' on ',len(packages)
#print package.split('\t')
s = package.split('\t')
if s[(len(s)-1)] == 'install':
pkg_files = commands.getoutput("/usr/bin/dpkg -L "+s[0]).split('\n')
pkg_size = 0
for pkg_file in pkg_files:
#pkg_size = 0
if ('/opt' not in pkg_file) or ('/home' not in pkg_file):
try:
st = os.stat(pkg_file)
if st.st_blocks > 0:
details = details + '\n'+ s[0]+':'+pkg_file+':'+str(st.st_size/1024)+'Kb'
pkg_size = pkg_size + st.st_size
except:
pass
less = less + '\n' + s[0] + ' : '+str(pkg_size/1024)+'Kb'

print less
w = hildon.Window()
p = hildon.PannableArea()
t = hildon.TextView()

p.add(t)
w.add(p)
total = less+'\n\n\n'+details
t.get_buffer().set_text(total)
w.show_all()

gtk.main()
(http://khertan.net/2009/10/not-enought-space-on-device/)

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
just build your package as you normally would, then use this: http://maemo.org/packages/view/maemo-optify/
I would be careful with this statement.
Use it if you cannot move the package to /opt correctly, but if you can, you should consider it doing properly.
While optify works for this, it can cause problems with package updates from non-optified to optified version, and it scatters symlinks across the rootfs (and symlinks take up precious disk space, too).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: