Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Spain
I just read an article about Motorola's Android 2 Smartphone, which will be released in just a few days...

I believe Android 2 will probably be much better than 1.x... It feels like the market will already be very mature by the time we get our favorite gadget out there.

Can we be clear on one thing in your argument, which is that Nokia has only delayed this phone once. I refuse to acknowledge release dates from any other place than the originator of the device. Other than that I think that Maemo will find its place amongst the beauts when it comes to application development, etc. Android does have a strong consumer and development base right now (especially being that it is run by google) but I feel that with the ease of porting applications with direct access to the linux system and not only being restricted to java, the N900 will find it's way.

Originally Posted by GodLikeCreature View Post
I just read an article about Motorola's Android 2 Smartphone, which will be released in just a few days...

I believe Android 2 will probably be much better than 1.x... It feels like the market will already be very mature by the time we get our favorite gadget out there.

Last edited by toratoko; 2009-10-30 at 08:36.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toratoko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Personally I would imagine that Nokia is taking a small (or larger?) hit in USA with the DROID being lauched now and N900 being delayed. DROID will be available earlier and is already getting praises all around the web.

Also I think for larger masses there are few things in DROID that make it interesting, like:
- It's thinner (I would love that one too)
- Better know OS with Google integration
- Capacitative screen
- New navigation software

Though I don't know how the operators and subsidies affect the situation.

I'll end up with N900 though since there's even no idea when DROID might become available in Europe and as far as I understand N900 is far better with multi-tasking which is important for me.

releasing a buggy device would do even more harm. loosing some customers to en early android release is bad, but having the platform reviewd as "short of expectations" or as "immature" would be even worse. blizzard never met release dates but always released higgh quality which is the way to go imho.

maemo in my oppinion definitly is not a smartphone platform but rather a platform for a new type of devices. it'll take time to exploit this potential anyways

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toffer For This Useful Post:
I believe that NOKIA as the world biggest mobile phone company, will be able to push the N900 via Marketing and TV-Ads which other companies probably cant pay.

Well, apologies if my post was incorrect about the amount of delays.

I actually meant that in my opinion, the whole project is heavily delayed when compared to its competitors, and I think that it will be a lot harder to get people's attention once they read about the N900 from their iPhones, HTCs or Motorolas.

I don't agree that Nokia is any stronger than Google, and don't see how it can compete in terms of marketing. In addition, how many people will actually wait just to get the few things missing in their devices?...

I hope I am wrong, but I think Nokia could be jumping into the battle way too late.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

Hi, I certainly hope for Android users that Android 2 is better than 1.x. I don't know about Motorola Android. We have a subforum on the Talk forums called Competitors. You can discuss competing products there. If there is no thread about this Motorola device yet you can start one. If you do, please do include information and links to information. Thanks!

Nokia are timing this to perfection. Hit the market as the Christmas shopping season really starts about mid November.

Mike C

I think I read a post the other day from someone saying that the network vendor in Finland estimated the N900 to be available mid december?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I think I read a post the other day from someone saying that the network vendor in Finland estimated the N900 to be available mid december?
Yes, I read that too. Maybe it applies only on bundled sale. Maybe they were being conservative. Maybe the representative just said something. Maybe the poster just said something.