I don't mean to rain on the parade but it's just a mechanical switch in the camera's swivel. They've been doing the same trick for years on any flip and turn LCD like on video cameras and digital cameras with flip-out LCDs.

When the camera rotates to 0 degrees it clicks the switch and flips the video upside down. I think there was mention on here about someone who's N800 DIDN'T flip and that was most likely because it was broken.

Why the camera test app doesn't acknowledge the orientation switch is strange but it's just a proof of concept. I would assume the Maemolomo (Malomo?) project in the Garage will flip when expected to though.

Besides, the camera is crap the (up until this point) lousy camera in my MDA Wizard is better.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Ahhh...but that's the interesting part. Karel's trick does not involve spinning the camera -- but rotating the N800 itself. The barrel of the "camera stick" does not rotate.

This is pretty cool... Finding out more about this thing everyday...

-F

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
Ahhh...but that's the interesting part. Karel's trick does not involve spinning the camera -- but rotating the N800 itself. The barrel of the "camera stick" does not rotate.
Yeah, but if there is indeed an orientation "switch" in the barrel, it would still tock over when the device was rotated. its still nice to see how fluid it is though

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Yeah, but if there is indeed an orientation "switch" in the barrel, it would still tock over when the device was rotated. its still nice to see how fluid it is though
If someone could find out how sensitive this switch really is, perhaps lots of Wii-like mischiefs could be made to happen.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Ok...I get it. Now if there IS such a switch, it'd have to be in the camera barrel, right? And it'd have to be a little more than a simple switch.

I'm guessing this because the image switches when the camera barrel rotates on its X axis -- illustrated in the Google Talk app. So this switch must sense X axis movement and Z axis movement.

-F

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
C'mon guys, there are no inclinometers involved... Just hold the N800 with your left hand so that the camera sees your fingers. Then rotate the N800 around the Z axis. The image does not change, it always shows your fingers in the same orientation.

The catch is that both the camera and the display are rotating together. Nice party trick though but not better than my (unrelated) favourite one.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by 9a6or View Post
C'mon guys, there are no inclinometers involved... Just hold the N800 with your left hand so that the camera sees your fingers. Then rotate the N800 around the Z axis. The image does not change, it always shows your fingers in the same orientation.

The catch is that both the camera and the display are rotating together. Nice party trick though but not better than my (unrelated) favourite one.
Dang! I was just about to introduce a secret radio connection to Nokia headquarters, where special staff monitor all the N800 cameras 24/24 and adjust the displays remotely to keep them upright.

Ah well. It was fun while it lasted...

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
It looks like the camera-image rotates 90 degrees for every 45 degrees the N800 rotates.
Exactly, and the interesting thing is that the image rotation is absolutely smooth, so there is not a simple orientation switch involved... the sensor works smoothly through the full 360 degrees (and more... I rotated it through several turns). I hope that this effect is controllable via software, because you can't take portrait-orientation photos unless it is. When the N800 is held with the long side vertical, the image is always upside down. Of course, after a picture is taken it can be flipped with software.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
This is simply the weird and wonderful world of 3D rotations... there are no orientation switches involved, read above.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
If you want a real challenge try shaving or combing your hair while looking at the image.

So why does a mirror swap left and right but not up and down? Perhaps Nokia have now solved this mystery.