Notices

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
joppu, i find your hate of VLC and overall negativity on these boards in every topic funny to say, at least, sad as well. Why? Why so serious? Why the negativity? VLC is the best "out of the box" player out there (media player classic is ok too though). I really dont understand your problems. Pixelation/artifacts can happen even on a quad-core if the file is badly encoded or is not encoded in the "common" way. And mind I say it happens only with MKV files, because they are simply more advanced with more features with a wider range of algorhytm possibilities. It happens, its normal, nothing is perfect, ever, face it, open your eyes, stick your head out of the sand, brother. If you dont like VLC, then dont use it, dont reply to these topics. Easy as that. Your attitude "i know best" is getting old.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
@ dmj726, I'm using Linux Mint 7, which I believe is based on Jaunty Jackelope, aka Ubuntu 9.04, I believe. Glad to know I'm not crazy...

@ Jack6428, let me sort of stick up for joppu on this one, because I see where he's coming from. I'll explain his stance in a nutshell, so let me know, joppu, if I'm offbase.

One of the tenets of open source is to not do the same work twice. VLC reinvented the wheel instead of improving the proven and working gstreamer.They provided a great app experience, but at the expense of the OS's growth. They could've upgraded or added to gstreamer, but they kept the codecs closed only for VLC's usage.

Joppu wants all apps to work WITH the development previous devs have worked hard on to make it better. He is totally against splintering apps and doing work twice. I see his point, and look at VLC totally differently now. He's made a valid point, and we need to really look at how we choose and use code with the betterment of the OS in mind.

Had VLC done things right, most apps would work well, and it'd be all about the best interface. As they've done it, its the workability of the app that is its calling card, when they could've easily added them to gstreamer instead to improve the video experience on Linux across the board. It is a selfish move by VideoLan, but not a cardinal sin.

I'll continue to favor VLC because it is the best performing player for me. But I'll be looking for the same improvements to gstreamer to create the same experience in all players down the road, all for the betterment of the OS experience overall.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
@ Jack6428, let me sort of stick up for joppu on this one, because I see where he's coming from. I'll explain his stance in a nutshell, so let me know, joppu, if I'm offbase.

One of the tenets of open source is to not do the same work twice. VLC reinvented the wheel instead of improving the proven and working gstreamer.They provided a great app experience, but at the expense of the OS's growth. They could've upgraded or added to gstreamer, but they kept the codecs closed only for VLC's usage.
Ummm. That is so wrong in so many ways.

a) VLC is older than gstreamer. So no adding there.
b) mplayer (which joppu favors) is even less modular than vlc (if modularity is the issue at hand).

Still both use video libraries which can be reused by other applications if they want to.

VLC didn't reinvent the wheel, either (gstreamer is "just" a set of libraries, VLC is both: set of libs and GUI(s)).

Joppu wants all apps to work WITH the development previous devs have worked hard on to make it better. He is totally against splintering apps and doing work twice. I see his point, and look at VLC totally differently now. He's made a valid point, and we need to really look at how we choose and use code with the betterment of the OS in mind.

Had VLC done things right, most apps would work well, and it'd be all about the best interface. As they've done it, its the workability of the app that is its calling card, when they could've easily added them to gstreamer instead to improve the video experience on Linux across the board. It is a selfish move by VideoLan, but not a cardinal sin.
Again. That is completely wrong in many ways. gstreamer and VLC use the same de-/encoders and playback libraries, libavcodec and ffmpeg for example. Same goes for mplayer.

So I don't see where VLC should or could have added to the much younger gstreamer project and can understand why gstreamer was developed even though other solutions were already there. Licensing is one of the issues.

Last edited by range; 2009-11-04 at 01:42. Reason: Oops.

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
All I know is that in Windows, VLC plays files other players can not and I do not have to search for codecs for it to work.

Thanks for clearing that up, range. I officially learned alot in that post. Now I have to say this:

Why ARE you tripping, then, joppu?! I don't see why.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
@christexaport: you looks like you are rushing with your judgments

Back to your vlc issue, it seems what the other guys said is right.
Here is the solution: http://openthoughts.me/blog/2009/07/...n-ubuntu-9-04/

Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

The Following User Says Thank You to f(x) For This Useful Post:
@ f(x),
I'm not judging. I like VLC, and its my preferred player. I just tried to see from joppu's perspective, but after getting the info from range, joppu's stance has little merit. I wonder why he feels the way he does?

So I'm running an older version on my Linux setup. NOW I know why the video window wouldn't bind...

@ f(x),
I'm not judging. I like VLC, and its my preferred player. I just tried to see from joppu's perspective, but after getting the info from range, joppu's stance has little merit. I wonder why he feels the way he does?
I think VLC killed his dog :P
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Thanks for clearing that up, range. I officially learned alot in that post. Now I have to say this:

Why ARE you tripping, then, joppu?! I don't see why.
Because he doesn't like VLC - which is totally fine. I don't like xine (another multimedia solution with its own set of libs) either. But yeah, he's a tad too vocal with it, IMHO

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard