I definitely prefer the N900 format.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
The same screen can have different resolutions, depending on what the software allows to. However, it's the height/width ratio that differs here (16:9 for 640x360 vs 15:9 for 800x480). Both have the same diagonal length (3.5 inches), but the size (area) of the N900's screen is slightly bigger than the N97's counterpart, due a different ratio (the wider, the smaller).
a low resolution lcd display never can have a higher resolution than it's hardware^^

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
isn't the resolution a measure of the pixels in the display?

The screen size is small to translate to the largest amount of people. Size matters with sales. The OQO (I hate anyone that has one. I'm jealous) and N8x weren't pocketable for most of the skinny jeans set without a jacket pocket or baggy pants. This is better for the masses. Nokia hasn't announced another device, but more are in development. I'm sure from hearing the tablet faithful's opinion, a larger screened keypadless model will follow sooner or later.

I just hope they don't ditch the hardware keyboard...

The Following User Says Thank You to GunnerzMate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I'm sure from hearing the tablet faithful's opinion, a larger screened keypadless model will follow sooner or later.
Oh, now you've gone and summoned johnkzin.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
isn't the resolution a measure of the pixels in the display?

The screen size is small to translate to the largest amount of people. Size matters with sales. The OQO (I hate anyone that has one. I'm jealous) and N8x weren't pocketable for most of the skinny jeans set without a jacket pocket or baggy pants. This is better for the masses. Nokia hasn't announced another device, but more are in development. I'm sure from hearing the tablet faithful's opinion, a larger screened keypadless model will follow sooner or later.
The native resolution equals the number of pixels. For various reasons you could have the CPU/GPU send less than the native resolution to the display but this is usually the case with larger displays and older eyes.

And speaking of older, I am way past skinny jeans (having lost my skinny when I hit 30). Still, my normal fit jeans can hold my OQO (snugly and, given your comment, smugly) or my N810 easily.

Rather than the way it fits into jeans, I suspect it is the way it looks in the hand. One handed in portrait mode, the N810 does look huge compared to an iPhone.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I definitely prefer the N900 format.
Same here. I want a hand-size phone that can also run my software (which rules out every other device on the market) and occasionally browse the web, not a small laptop than can be used to make calls.

And I don't have shirt pockets.

Hopefully Nokia will do as Google is, and develop a family of devices so we can all have what we want/need.

I think it would be smart of Nokia to encourage adoption of Maemo by other manufacturers at some point in the not too distant future, when the transition to Qt is a bit more settled.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I also really wish someone would step up and put a proper DS style D-Pad on the left of the keyboard. That would make running the emulators much better as those D-Pads they usually use with a button in the middle are rubbish for gaming, you need to be able to easily rock in the direction you want.
Try using the arrow keys, it can't be so different to the inverted T-bar arrow keys on a PC keyboard? I'm still unbeaten on Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo using the arrow keys, around 15 years or so now

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Try using the arrow keys, it can't be so different to the inverted T-bar arrow keys on a PC keyboard? I'm still unbeaten on Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo using the arrow keys, around 15 years or so now
I never found the arrow keys good for any game that needed buttons pressing with the other hand too. I can't be alone, that is why WASD was invented so you control movement with the left and fire/aim with the right. Its been used so long now it will never be as comfortable trying to do it differently.

Besides, arrow keys still have the same problem. The problem is for the fastest reaction for most people you need to be able to rest your thumb in the middle and just gently drift in the direction you want. Doing diagonal with your thumb is easy, doing it with arrows generally uses two fingers and on the N900, you are likely to be pressing all arrows at the same time as they are so small.

I am not saying the DS direction pad is perfect, but I think something more along those lines would work a hell of a lot better than anything I have seen on a phone so far. Even ones that do not have a button in the middle of the D pad (my Samsung C100 for example) has odd dimensions (its wider than it is tall) and/or stiff buttons that make it still useless for gaming.

Perhaps its just me having trouble, but I have never been able to comfortably play any games on a phone to date. I fail to see the usefulness of having a button in the middle of the D pad anyway, more often than not you hit it by accident not when you want to confirm something. Overall it seems they are all designed to look good rather than for optimal functionality.

The Xperia X1 for example had a combined touch/scroll pad and confirm button in the middle of its D pad. It was frustrating as hell as half the time I tried to press it to enter a menu it would register a scroll so enter the wrong menu. When I turned it off due to a bug in the software it would always re-activate because Opera turned it back on and failed to restore it to the off state when you quit. Just too many features added to be a bullet point on the specification sheet rather than actually add a useful feature for the end user.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I never found the arrow keys good for any game that needed buttons pressing with the other hand too. I can't be alone, that is why WASD was invented so you control movement with the left and fire/aim with the right. Its been used so long now it will never be as comfortable trying to do it differently.
I guess I've never thought about it that way, I'm comfortable using the keyboard with either hand, as I am with a mouse. It's always funny seeing people try to use my computer at work where I have the mouse on the left as the machine/monitor is on the right of the desk.

I'm used to using the arrow keys and ASD, ZXC for playing games like Street Fighter (sometimes adding F and V for all punches/kicks). I think I've seen people use WASD and the insert, home section for the 6 attack buttons.

Hopefully the Zeemote will work with the N900, that may help you.