Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
If a person has no need to talk/do data sessions when in transit, and the destination and home points have suitable WiFi access, then yes, just living on VoIP is not only possible, but would be cost-advanteageous to the user (not the carrier).

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I long for the day when mobile data is just that, data, and is packet switched and we can run whatever we want over it. A dumb mobile pipe.
Supposedly, LTE will be just that...

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Here in Austria there's A1 which afaik is the first mobile operator in the world to provide such a service (called "A1 over IP").

At a first glance, it is very interesting: same phone number tied to both cellular and ip networks, reception of normal mobile calls on the laptop, proxy servers at the same locations of those providing 3G access, good tarifs.

Practically, I still wasn't able to make it work on my E71's SIP client. I'll write back when I'll have a chance to test it.

The Following User Says Thank You to umberto_soprano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
Here in Austria there's A1 which afaik is the first mobile operator in the world to provide such a service (called "A1 over IP").
Most mobile telcos do not allow SIP over packet data except for the more expensive subscriptions (for netbooks/laptops). Measures for disallowing this include EULA, QoS, and/or filtering.

At a first glance, it is very interesting: same phone number tied to both cellular and ip networks
PSTN for SIP exists but how would they use the same number? If the SIP client is not connected they'd route to the cellular instead? Here, ranges of numbers are normally assigned to a certain service. And if it starts with '06' then you can tell it is a GSM/mobile number. (The irony here, is that SIP might just as well be 'mobile'.)

Practically, I still wasn't able to make it work on my E71's SIP client. I'll write back when I'll have a chance to test it.
Try an other SIP client. Where E71 SIP client did not work for me, Nimbuzz worked. I just looked and it has official A1 support so that'd make the configuration easier.

You might also want to check the SIP documentation from your ISP.

Else, try to create a VPN and run SIP over that. See if it at least works, and then judge the performance. You can conclude based on this whether your ISP is blocking certain protocols or ports.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria

At a first glance, it is very interesting: same phone number tied to both cellular and ip networks, reception of normal mobile calls on the laptop, proxy servers at the same locations of those providing 3G access, good tarifs.
Thank, Umberto, for telling me about A1 over IP. As an A1 customer I had no idea.... It's really, really cool: You configure the SIP-account on your N8x0 and
  • you receive calls if somebody dials your cell phone number (both the tablet and your cell phone get the call, you can answer it on whatever device you want)
  • you can make calls and the other person will see your normal cell phone number as caller-ID, which is very nice because I found a lot of people don't answer calls from my existing SIP-numbers. They're just too unusual.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it for the tablet. (If by any chance another A1-customer runs across this thread ...)
There are pre-configured clients for Windows and Mac, too, and detailed instructions how to set it up on a number of Nokia E/N-devices.

The only drawback: I couldn't get it running on any GNU/Linux desktop clients so far. Ekiga, Empathy, SJphone... all had problems. The only one that kind of worked was KPhone, but the sound quality was absolutely terrible. (That's strange because I have 2 other SIP-accounts that I have no problem using with these clients.)

It seems there's something unusual in the A1 setup that's of course handled by the pre-configured softphones and that, for some reason, the telepathy framework on the tablet gets right, but none of the other clients can handle.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@benny1967

Hmmm.. Just a guess, but... The bad sound could be due to the lack of the G.729a codec that's commonly used in commercial implementations, but because of licensing, is generally omitted from OSS. Since most SIP implementations have a list of supported codecs, the GNU/Linux softs may be falling back on a less than ideal codec for VoIP given your general network environment.

Eg. I have never had good call quality with speex.

G.711 is also very commonly used due to its extreme simplicity. I personally use 'G.711 u-law' almost exclusively with the Twinkle softphone in linux. In your Linux SIP setup, you may want to try pushing the G.711 codecs to the top of the codec list!

YARR!
}:^)~
G.729c (for cap)

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
How long ago have they started doing that? There's an MVNO operator in Russia called CNT and their BazaMobile+BazaIP offer allows you to take calls at either cell phone or SIP client (same phone number of course). Cell/SIP routing is a bit cumbersome but it works and now I have a very cheap russian phone number which is super-convenient for my relatives to call.

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post

G.711 is also very commonly used due to its extreme simplicity. I personally use 'G.711 u-law' almost exclusively with the Twinkle softphone in linux. In your Linux SIP setup, you may want to try pushing the G.711 codecs to the top of the codec list!
I just installed twinkle in my debian chroot, and it needs so UI patching ...

to be continued

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/sip

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta, GA United States
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
@benny1967

Hmmm.. Just a guess, but... The bad sound could be due to the lack of the G.729a codec that's commonly used in commercial implementations, but because of licensing, is generally omitted from OSS. Since most SIP implementations have a list of supported codecs, the GNU/Linux softs may be falling back on a less than ideal codec for VoIP given your general network environment.
Which raises the question about which VoIP codecs will be supported in the N900. Nokia keeps a list of codecs and features available in their devices, but nothing is yet listed for the n900. It would be sweet if either AMR-WB or G.722 were available, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I plan to make VOIP calling a significant portion of my n900 use, and I hope freemantle's support doesn't lag too much behind what is available in S60, which is regarded as one of the better bundled VoIP stacks available.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
You cannot compare skype to any decent sip provider. I use them for my international calls and they're pretty good (and cheaper than skype, which rhymes with....).
Huh?

(message too short...)

Tags
sip