Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think for python, IMEI might be in sysinfo. I'm at work so I can't check.

Could someone confirm this?
import sysinfo
print sysinfo.imei()

thanks

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
This thread should get some outside attention, lol.

It would be useful for developers as a means of locking an app to a specific device to protect distribution of their apps.

I'm sure there is a way to read the IMEI. Editing it might require something completely different though.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-07 at 00:56.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
This thread should get some outside attention, lol.

It would be useful for developers as a means of locking an app to a specific device to protect distribution of their apps.
It should be more-or-less impossible to try to pull that sort of thing on a platform that's as open as Maemo 5; however you try to query a unique identifier the user would simply be able to have the OS lie to your app. This is one of the nice things about free software OSes - as the device owner you can be reasonably assured that your device works in your interest, not anyone else's.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I'm sure there is a way to read the IMEI. Editing it might require something completely different though.
In the UK at least 'editing' the IMEI (which requires reprogramming the device at a low level) is a specific legal offence. If memory serves me correctly I believe it is a custodial sentence too.

I seem to remember software on other platforms used to use this for the type of purpose you were talking about. This is maybe why it requires a DBUS request to obtain the information. As stated earlier though, the OS library could be wrapped potentially though to obviscate this value though. Would have to be a low level call.

Originally Posted by ewan View Post
It should be more-or-less impossible to try to pull that sort of thing on a platform that's as open as Maemo 5; however you try to query a unique identifier the user would simply be able to have the OS lie to your app. This is one of the nice things about free software OSes - as the device owner you can be reasonably assured that your device works in your interest, not anyone else's.
Um...
Nevermind.

In any event the Forum Nokia WiKi provides some additional information using other methods code117. Maybe that can help in your quest...

Originally Posted by Forum Nokia WiKi
There is a frequent use of reading IMEI in mobile phone development. People generally use IMEI for license/full version support of an application.
Usage of CTelephony
Read IMEI in S60 2nd edition - PlpVariant API
Reading IMEI in 3rd edition -Synchronously
Reading IMEI in 3rd Edition
Star-hash_codes

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-07 at 03:56.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
In the UK at least 'editing' the IMEI (which requires reprogramming the device at a low level) is a specific legal offence. If memory serves me correctly I believe it is a custodial sentence too.

I seem to remember software on other platforms used to use this for the type of purpose you were talking about. This is maybe why it requires a DBUS request to obtain the information. As stated earlier though, the OS library could be wrapped potentially though to obviscate this value though. Would have to be a low level call.
I'm sure it is...

However it is loaded and potentially edited may require a completely different means of connection to the device as well...
I didn't think that editing this identifier was the what the OP was after. I could be wrong though.

Schemes to reasonably identify who is accessing a server or service for what ever reason is not a bad thing and has nothing to do with FOSS.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-07 at 04:19. Reason: spellling :)

I seem to remember software on other platforms used to use this for the type of purpose you were talking about. This is maybe why it requires a DBUS request to obtain the information.
Yes, by issuing AT commands on the device using whatever modem software the N900 has or porting over libgsmd-tool

As stated earlier though, the OS library could be wrapped potentially though to obviscate this value though. Would have to be a low level call.
Definetly should be obfuscated, You should NEVER give away your imei or imsi.

For getting a unique identifier for mobile programming the 2 best things are IMEI and IMSI.
The IMEI is the unique phone \ device identifier.
The IMSI is the unique subscriber (SIM) identifier

So if you want to lock to a device use the IMEI and if you want to lock to a user use the IMSI

I'm not sure how to get these in Maemo but would say it's possible

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Schemes to reasonably identify who is accessing a server or service for what ever reason is not a bad thing and has nothing to do with FOSS.
That's a whole other thing though. You were originally talking about:
locking an app to a specific device to protect distribution
which is pretty clearly an action entirely at odds with the users software freedom in principle, and wouldn't work in practice due to the user having the freedom to have dbus, the kernel, or whatever part of the stack they like, feed your app whatever value is going to make it happy.

Nice idea but MAC can be easily spoofed.[...]
True enough, but on the N8x0 at least it's turned out to be a bit tricky to do. Sure you can change the MAC address, but because of the way the network stack is set up it it'll prevent you from going online with the changed MAC address (we had some threads about that last year). So, you can change the MAC but then you have also crippled your device.

How this works on the N900 I don't know.

Tags
maemo 5, n900, python, unique id