Active Topics

Nokia has invested a lot in Ovi Maps. While it has lot of potential, it's not perfect. However, instead of trying to find an alternative product, why not give some suggestions on how it could be improved?

Please put only one idea per solution, this way each idea can be voted separately.

Brainstorm Link

Based on the amount of votes, I created a new brainstorm just for Turn by Turn Navigation.

Last edited by Sasler; 2009-12-15 at 22:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
This is really a very important issue.
The all future of Nokia is in is ability to take the right decision know. This time they needs to act fast. We all know that’s not the usual company practice.
Everybody that cares with the future of Maemo should participate in this brainstorm:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...igation_on_ovi
Nokia should implement free turn by turn navigation on OVI. Although it’s a difficult decision for Navteq, it’s better to make it now, while in the position of world best map supplier. The model should be; the users add corrections and traffic information to the available maps.
The revenue should come from advertisement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Add CHEAP Turn by Turn Navigation. In former years there was a 3 year license Modell. But it was also very expensive.

Actually there are in the maximum a one year abonnoment possible for OVI Maps (only S60) and it is mostly as expensive as the 3 year license Modell.

And I know myself. I'm to stingy to order a one day license when I need it. Even I'm driving with continious looking on the navi. And I guess this is not a secure solution.
I BOUGHT Route 66 Mobile for S60 for my N95. It was about 70€ but a great software. And not a Abonnement. It's now MINE and I can continue using it on my N95. I would love something like this on the N900.

Well, I think it could be improved by having greater integration with the calendar and address book apps, as the link in my sig suggests... why not have a look at that? 8-)

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

I added suggestions for Location Sharing and Off-line maps.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saudi Arabia
Maps need the ability to create and upload landmarks...
this is not a luxury feature anymore, it is a qualifier

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rami For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rami View Post
Maps need the ability to create and upload landmarks...
this is not a luxury feature anymore, it is a qualifier
I agree. Creating any custom content, not just landmarks, is a must for modern navigation applications.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Looking at http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...t_suggestions/ I don't know whether it is good to have brainstorms with such a wide scope.

For instance, only having turn by turn navigation is a deep topic. You could have one brainstorm about this topic and list there all the possible solutions, being an fOvi Maps implementation one of them.

Now there are 16 solutions listed and the whole brainstorm about Ovi Maps is difficult to manage.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
quim,

i actually think this is one of the better brainstorming entries.
lots of choices and available options - just what you expect from a brainstorming session!
what we now need is the capability to boil down the most viable and desired options and decisions into a formulated plan of action.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Well, now put yourself in the position of Ovi Maps. Imagine that one of the 15 proposals is due next week and the other 14 are not even roadmapped. Should we resolve "Implemented" selecting only the one solution or should we leave the item open until, say 7 of the 15 eally different proposals are implemented?

In the meantime, imagine that Feature X proposed in Solution N is not implemented by Ovi Maps yet but there are several alternatives that implement it very well. Do we need to keep that part open because the solutions need to be around Ovi Maps or would users be happy just by getting the features from anybody now?

I believe some of the most voted "solutions" would deserve a brainstorm in its own. Turn by turn navigation is a good example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: