Active Topics

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Is '101' a generally understood number outside the tech community? I doubt it. It is not even used much in contexts outside English/tech AFAIK. Its very rare in my language... but how about other languages?

I also think Maemo5 should me Maemo 5. But if I'd change this now, many signatures would break.

On wiki page I added a Dutch version feel free to use it or improve it.
101 is a generally understood number at least in North American academic communities (it's the first course you take in a subject) and is spreading in its applicability. It's certainly not techie, but it is perhaps cultural. We can perhaps live with it given that, but you can call it whatever you like as long as the link stays the same in the url.

The Following User Says Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
A sort of bump that relates to the general topic of helping others

About the FAQ, could use help and thoughts. More changes to come to ideas page...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34056

thx

S

The Following User Says Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
My reservation with the idea of all greeters giving the identical greeting is that the new people who will be coming are not tidy-minded techies. They're ordinary people who will probably prefer to relate to a person rather than a page. Knowng that greeter X speaks your language (especially if you can pm him/her) is more welcoming than a flat page, IMHO.
While I agree with your essential sentiment, I still think the "tidy-minded" techie is a myth.

/me stares ruefully at cluttered desk that matches mind.

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Well, personally I haven't met 101 in Polish (or Danish) (academic) culture. I don't have problems with it, but it would say that it may not be understood by broader audience

I will try to find some time this week and work on Polish translations/sections, since we can, hopefully, expect a rather large community here
(of course unless N900 is released; then I'm over and out )

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
As a native English speaker, I've only come across '101' in a North American context. That's not to say I don't know what it means. I just wouldn't use it in Britain. It might be useful to replace it with something more cross-cultural.

(Refrains from suggesting "MIckey Mouse's guide to the n900'!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
No 101 in Italy either. I am going to change the signature.

EDIT: there's some limit in the alphanumeric chars in the signature. This should be relieved in order to accomodate the maemo greeters presentation and links in more verbose languages (like mine ).

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-11-08 at 09:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
101 is not used in Swedish either and I doubt the majority of Swedes would understand it. I roughly translated it to "Maemo 5 in brief" in my signature.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
No 101 in Italy either. I am going to change the signature.

EDIT: there's some limit in the alphanumeric chars in the signature. This should be relieved in order to accomodate the maemo greeters presentation and links in more verbose languages (like mine ).
I posted your signature in the wiki pages but I modified it a bit. Could you check it and provide your remarks?

All the best,
Matyas

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matyas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
101 is not used in Swedish either and I doubt the majority of Swedes would understand it. I roughly translated it to "Maemo 5 in brief" in my signature.
Hey! Hur mor du!

Jag er Mattia och jag talar lite (lite) svenska

Could you post your contribution in the wiki page?

Heydå
Matyas

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Alright, so '101' is not an international recognized English term. Lets modify it to suitable English. The item has to be renamed to Maemo_5* in any case.

Suggestions?

I'd propose to change title to Maemo 5 basic principles but such title does not cover the content either.

What it covers now is 2 aspects:
  • Offsite videos explaining basics like Tablet School used to to.
  • Quotes tips 'n tricks

I do not know about the specific contents, but I remember Tablet School were high quality, visual howtos embedded in web pages.

The Youtube videos are _not_ embedded. Those who go to this page will need to click back to see the next one. Not user-friendly, and no additional text is provided. Does wiki allow embedding videos?

The second part quotes an article which quotes the User Guide which is a copyrighted work. We can use this as basis for a good introduction article.

I suggest the following:
  1. We must deal with the fact wiki entries are not static. I suggest to link to a dynamic portal instead.
  2. Put the video links on a separate page: Maemo 5/Video tutorials.
  3. Put the tips 'n tricks, which is currently keyboard shortcuts, on a separate page: Maemo 5/Keyboard shortcuts

Format #1

== Name of video tutorial ==
This tutorial explains setting up [[Bluetooth PAN]]. [[1]]

Format #2

== CTRL+V ==
Paste current clipboard to current application.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: