Active Topics

Thought I would ask here before I file a bug, since I'm probably Doing It Wrong.

Basically trying to follow these directions:
http://www.divms.uiowa.edu/help/wireless/ubuntu910.html
which worked for the n810.

I have to specify a specific cert. (Who designed WPA this way? how have web browsers figured out which cert to use for ages, but wpa can't?)

In the n900 cert manager its listed. But the wireless dialog simply says "none" and it doesn't list any available certificates.

Last edited by eean; 2009-11-05 at 17:30.

Hmmm, back on Windows Mobile you had to install certain certificates by hand in form of a Cab file - this is probably something similar, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to do that (or where to get the certificates needed) on Linux/Maemo5... So the best I can do is give your thread a bump

-edit- Found something: In another thread someone posted a link to this page, where you can download some certificates for importing into the certificate manager (.der format).

Maybe the certificate you need is on there somewhere?

Last edited by bemymonkey; 2009-11-05 at 06:59.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Maybe you need to set your certificate to be trusted for use with wlan first, like it is described here in the first five steps: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/wir...oam/nokia_810/.
Perhaps after that it will show up in the wlan wpa settings.

bemymonkey, the cert is already installed on the device. It shows up in the cert manager.

@Marshall: that sounds more likely. The Certificate Manager on the n900 is complete misnomer though, its just lists certs, no management going on. So there's no trust button or option.

So I did a bit of digging and found out that you can select the 'purpose' of a certificate when you add it. So I scp'ed the cert from my computer (couldn't find where it was on the device) and selected it from the file manager, and said it was for WiFi. Its now listed in the cert manager with a "WiFi" tag randomly on the right side (none of the pre-installed certs have any purpose annotation). It doesn't seem to mind that the same cert is installed twice.

So hopefully it works now. I'm not at university so I can't test, next time I go there I'll see. And then probably add a feature request to be able to modify the purpose of existing certs.

I hope this post is useful for future googlers. I'm guessing this 'purpose' feature has some sort of reason for existing, but search me...

The Following User Says Thank You to eean For This Useful Post:
ok fail. I'm at uiowa's main library using my cellular connection as it *still* doesn't show any available certificates.

I'!l file a bug shortly, I've done my best to rule out PEBKAC.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Remove the first cert. It is probably matching before the second is reached. May constitute a bug.

Also, what protocols are you using?
WPA (TKIP) or WPA2 (AES/CCMP)?
Which method of EAP?
You can find such out by looking at an existing working configuration. Chances are also such is described on website of your university, complete with howto for certain clients.

If you have it currently working on e.g. Ubuntu you can use your current wpa_supplicant.conf as template. I suggest you look at your current /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf on N900, and see if it is set up correct. There are some useful wpa_supplicant howtos to be found with aid from Google, but you need to be sure you know which protocols you're gonna use.

EDIT: Answer to question is: WPA2 Enterprise, EAP-PEAPv0/MS-CHAP-v2. This is supported by wpa_supplicant. I also saw an autoconfig site for your university.

Your wpa_supplicant config should look like this:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={

ssid="example"

scan_ssid=1

key_mgmt=WPA-EAP

eap=PEAP

identity="user@example.com"

password="foobar"

ca_cert="/etc/cert/ca.pem"

phase1="peaplabel=0"

phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}

(Taken from manual page)[/EDIT]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-11-08 at 23:32.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ca-certificates
Should install them in /usr/share/ca-certificates/*
Or manually. You did this?

The authentication server used by The University of Iowa wireless networks uses Thawte as its root certificate authority (CA). Therefore, your laptop must have a valid Thawte root certificate in Privacy-Enhanced Mail (PEM) format. In Ubuntu 9.10, the package ca-certificates is part of the default install. If it is not installed on your system, run "sudo apt-get install ca-certificates" in a terminal window.

If you do not want to install the ca-certificates package and you only want the necessary certficate, you can download all Thawte certificates on your laptop from Thawte. After you download the zip file, thawte-roots.zip, you need to extract "Thawte Server Roots/ThawtePremiumServerCA_b64.txt" Once that file is extracted, rename it to ThawtePremiumServerCA.pem.
And then import that key using the GUI. But without it being imported you can use the GUI to select the file instead or not? I'd also still delete the first entry!

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ca-certificates
Should install them in /usr/share/ca-certificates/*
Or manually. You did this?
I installed the certificate manually by just downloading it from my computer and selecting it in my file manager.

I suggest you look at your current /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf on N900, and see if it is set up correct.
My guess is that I don't have a wpa_supplicant since I never confirm the connection, given that I can't select the certificate. But I didn't realize the N900 used wpa_supplicant, if I can set it manually and get it to work that would be good info for the bug report.

...which I've just created here:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6101

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kingston-Upon-Hul, UK / Le Mans, FR
Any progress ?