a bit of a sidetrack, but what's the difference between the ARM11 600mhz and Arm Cortex A8 600mhz. I'm a total processor IDIOT, but just wondering how big of a difference there is between the two in terms of processing. thanks!

Originally Posted by archzai View Post
a bit of a sidetrack, but what's the difference between the ARM11 600mhz and Arm Cortex A8 600mhz. I'm a total processor IDIOT, but just wondering how big of a difference there is between the two in terms of processing. thanks!
http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...spx?i=3579&p=2

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Not what I meant, but I suspect you know that.
No, I do not. Maybe you can clarify what you mean?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
what about real multitasking, having a tv-out gives a huge screen to have many windows at once...
So the "real multitasking" simply means "more windows visible at once" for you? Why not just say so?

I prefer the current way of having one window and quick switching functionality. And I am calling it real multitasking too ;-)

As for TV-out - it has even less pixels than the display so huge screen does not buy you much except blurriness (NTSC is 720 x 480, PAL is 720 x 576, both are interlaced).

BTW is the TV-out only composite (no s-video)?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I prefer the current way of having one window and quick switching functionality. And I am calling it real multitasking too ;-)
My thoughts exactly. Having multiple windows open side by side isn't really feasible until you start hitting resolutions like SXGA and higher... even XGA screens make it really difficult. A web browser/word processor or whatever else is relatively difficult to use with less than, say, 800px width - that gives you 224px of width left on a 1024x768 screen, which is pretty much useless for anything other than an instant messenger or a (tiny) file manager window...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
BTW is the TV-out only composite (no s-video)?
Yes, composite only.

Btw, I was really worried about the ram on the n900 before I got it. Multitasking was a big problem on the n810, especially because when you turned it on its RAM was almost already full.

But multitasking really does work fine on the N900. I do just naturally close stuff more aggressively then I do on a computer. But you can easily browse the web, listen to music, have your email client and contact list open etc. So I have to say Nokia made the right call with the 256 of RAM. We should remember that the swap is much faster on the N900 then on your computer since its SSD (though truthfully not sure how much I make the N900 swap).

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
as there is only virtual multitasking atm (for me the switching and leave it open in background does not count), I guess it doesnt matter how many windows are open... it depends on how draining is the application in background, or are the applications going nice-ing when in background
what about real multitasking, having a tv-out gives a huge screen to have many windows at once...

My Q8200 desktop with 6 gigs of DDR3 and Nividia 9800 lags with mulitple video and Flash running in the background.

We need practical perspective applied here IMO.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
Arm 11 has less transisters so less power to execute operations efficiently and takes more power to execute the same operations.

Kind of like comparing a Pentium 3 to a Pentium 4 at same speeds.

Actually a greater difference than that, especially considering the Arm 8 supports discrete DSP and GPUs.

Heck, the integrated functions kick Arm 11's butt even without external DSP or GPU.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-11 at 16:18.

I hope 256 MB RAM will be enough to run a few KDE programs (no KDE desktop). e.g. I really like ktimetracker.
After taking a sizable hit in the form of loading several shared objects, and running a few harmless daemons, I hope to still be able to switch back and forth efficiently between several apps.
On my n810 I always end up swapping.