Active Topics

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
I guess I misread your post. It seemed like you were suggesting that they waited for critical mass to accrue (whenever that happens). I'm suggesting that they set a date, and pump out as many devices as they can to retailers before and up to that date. See the logical difference that I read? Either way, we're on a similar page
Ah well - all semantic right?

Main thing is we're hopefully on the last leg of the wait

Originally Posted by buan View Post
What immediately springs to mind regarding a successful launch is Apple, and the launch of the iPhone 3G here in Sweden. No pre-orders were possible, but it was available the exact minute Telia and Apple said it would be. Telia's servers went on their knees as expected due to the demand, but I got one from the first batch.
I suspect that in the case you describe they had already been shipping devices from the factory to the shops over a period of maybe weeks already. And they didn't then announce the date when the shipping to shops started. The latter is what Nokia has done. (And then there are the pre-orders, directly with Nokia and with e.g. Amazon.)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Apple. (no, not a fanboi)
Ummm. No. Their phones already have shipped when they start selling. Which would have meant another week of "Why doesn't Nokia tell us what it is with the N900!".

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
What apple does really well is releases. They give a date, and (for the most part) hit it.
Yes, for some reason people commonly overlook the times when Apple stumbles. For instance, Final Cut Server was announced in April of 2007 at NAB. At that time, Apple promised the software would ship "Summer 2007". It shipped at the start of April 2008.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ DUBAI , UAE
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Have you seen what happens when you hit the buy online though?

Don't worry, it's not serious, but it looks like the product you've requested isn't available.

Try using our search to find what you were looking for.

Or you can click the link below to go to our home page

Nokia UK Online Shop Homepage
it gose to http://europe.nokia.com/buy-online

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I really have hard time seeing why this has been the "most screwed up" product launch. When the product was announced, it was expected to be available in October. Then Peter informed that it had been delayed to November so that they can further refine the software according to the feedback by the 300 Maemo Summit participants. He said there would be an announcement when it ships.

And that's exactly what has happened. All that information above has been public and available here in talk.maemo.org, it has just been buried under these 6000 friggin' posts about the delay.
Gadget lust does strange, strange things to people. It really isn't healthy, but I've gotten absolutely nothing done since I made my preorder, and I don't expect I will until I recieve it.

I've been too busy refreshing t.m.o, and watching my RSS feed reader for any news on anything anywhere else.

(And I really mean anywhere. I have about 6-10 feeds just concerning maemo stuff, not including further feeds from twitter stuff... )

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ DUBAI , UAE
Originally Posted by mak View Post
what country?
UAE but i think it just about mailing list sort

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I suspect that in the case you describe they had already been shipping devices from the factory to the shops over a period of maybe weeks already.
Yes, hence my "regarding a successful launch". Apple definitely prepared by stocking up in advance leading up to the date (and time) they had set. It's the only way to make a thing like that work.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Gadget lust does strange, strange things to people. It really isn't healthy, but I've gotten absolutely nothing done since I made my preorder, and I don't expect I will until I recieve it.

I've been too busy refreshing t.m.o, and watching my RSS feed reader for any news on anything anywhere else.

(And I really mean anywhere. I have about 6-10 feeds just concerning maemo stuff, not including further feeds from twitter stuff... )
Im so with you on that - even went and created a twitter acct which I swore I would never do...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I really have hard time seeing why this has been the "most screwed up" product launch. When the product was announced, it was expected to be available in October. Then Peter informed that it had been delayed to November so that they can further refine the software according to the feedback by the 300 Maemo Summit participants. He said there would be an announcement when it ships.

And that's exactly what has happened. All that information above has been public and available here in talk.maemo.org, it has just been buried under these 6000 friggin' posts about the delay.
Full Ack!

I've preordered in August. It was clear that it will be October and
a delay of 1 Month is *nothing* for such a complex HW/SW-Project.
I know some Settopboxes which had a year delay when they arrived.
Anyone who developed software does know how hard/impossible
it is to make exact project plans.

wire-less

The Following User Says Thank You to wire-less For This Useful Post: