Active Topics

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
My touch screen has a serious malfunction which has rendered my n810 un-usable. It's calibration WAAAY off. Every time I tap the screen, it's as if I tapped it 12 - 15 mm to the right of where I really did tap it. It is so far off that I can't tap on any of the navigation buttons on the left hand side of the screen, so I can't start ANY programs. I can open the home menu by using the menu button on the keyboard, and I did try to recalibrate the screen, but it will only say to tap closer to the target. It will not recalibrate. I tried to fix it by flashing the firmware, but that didn't work. In fact, now it's worse, because I don't even have a desktop launcher. I did backup my settings before I flashed the firmware, but I can't even open a file manager to restore them. Am I just screwed? Please tell me there is a way to fix this. My wife will kill me if this thing is a brick. We saved for months so I could have this.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
There is a possibility that your screen is going bad, the other possibility which happened to me is that my touch screen wire came loose in that case you can open it up and plug it back in. A little trick that worked for me is open calibration program using keys and then if you think all your clicks are 12mm to the right then click 12 mm to the right of the center of the dot and it will register it. That kept me going until I plugged my wire back in. Also if this is your problem every time the wire makes contact and then loses contact you will use your calibration. Right before I fixed mine I would have to recalibrate every 15 minutes.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
I tried to trick the calibration program, but I'd have to click way off the screen.

Can you tell me how to get to the screen plug, or point me to instructions?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Can you tell me how to get to the screen plug, or point me to instructions?
You'll need N810 Service Manual Level 1 & 2.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Thank you.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
If you have a screen protector on the screen, trying removing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
I contacted Nokia, and they said to send it in for warranty repair. Apparently the N810 has a 1 year warranty. I assumed it was only 90 days.

NOKIA WIN!

EDIT:
NOKIA FAIL!!!

Last edited by pokey; 2009-12-10 at 18:13. Reason: Nokia fails

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
I actually had the same thing happen to me. I'm sending mine in for repair today.
Nokia service doesn't deserve the rap it gets.

I think American phone companies are in a conspiracy against us...
But that's just my opinion.

After making me jump through many hoops, Nokia has decided not to repair my N810. This at a cost to me of $10.35 for shipping and shipping insurance. The reason: No repair parts are available. Let me re-state that: Nokia has denied my warrantee because they have no spare parts available.

hitchhikertogalaxy, I will be shocked if they honor your warrantee, though I sincerely wish you the very best of luck.

No n900 for me thanks. One screw job is enough.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
If Nokia do not have the part for the phone then you should get a replacement instead?
Otherwise they are breaking the terms of the sale?