Notices

UPDATE: New version is now in the Maemo Diablo extras-devel repository, please add it to your repository list and download AbiWord through the Application Center.

Hi all,

I've put together a usable beta package for AbiWord 2.8.1 for OS2008 (Diablo). For this release, I made several Maemo-specific fixes that solve several of the stability problems encountered in previous releases over the years, and I've added some enhancements.

To install, simply add the Maemo Diablo extras-devel repository to your repository list and install AbiWord from the Application Center.

After talking with the devs, it seems like the Maemo-specific code is no longer being maintained, so I am unofficially taking over that branch as a maintainer. I HIGHLY recommend that you submit any problems to the AbiWord Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.abisource.com/. Also, please post your experiences using the software here.

Enjoy!

Last edited by earksiinni; 2009-11-16 at 23:16. Reason: New version released (2.8.1-1ea3)

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to earksiinni For This Useful Post:
Great
Recently, I noticed that abiword 2.7 was available,I have used it since to take notes in lectures, and it works very good.

Thanks for the effort, such great applications would only make life easier.

Excellent news

Just a thanks for the app. I think I'll stay with the current one I have installed since it finally doesn't crash :-) and has been very useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks for working on this, although I got the impression that the Abisource team are planning on packaging this up themselves at some point. Maybe you could chat with them about this, offering your services for example.

Nice to see a gopher link - haven't seen one in 10 years!

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Thanks for working on this, although I got the impression that the Abisource team are planning on packaging this up themselves at some point. Maybe you could chat with them about this, offering your services for example.
I've been in touch with some of them via IRC, but not with Hubert, who seems to be spearheading the Maemo effort, so I'm not sure about their exact plans. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck contacting him yet. It's worth repeating that this is in no way an official release, but I've grown a bit impatient because I really want to start using my tablet as my full-time machine and the lack of a decent word processor is the only obstacle remaining (for me).

I'm also not a *real* programmer, so right now I can't contribute that much. That said, after a whole day spent hacking, I found the source of the bug that crashes AbiWord when you open up the Format Table dialog box and I submitted a patch to the devs. That's my very first code contribution to open source (albeit it was just a faulty XML file)! Hopefully it will get merged upstream soon, especially because I think it may be linked to a number of AbiWord bugs on the tablets. I will upload new binaries later today.

Nice to see a gopher link - haven't seen one in 10 years!
Proudly being hosted on a 770 ;-) Visit gopher://canterbury.doesntexist.com:70 for more information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earksiinni For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by earksiinni View Post
I've been in touch with some of them via IRC, but not with Hubert, who seems to be spearheading the Maemo effort, so I'm not sure about their exact plans. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck contacting him yet. It's worth repeating that this is in no way an official release, but I've grown a bit impatient because I really want to start using my tablet as my full-time machine and the lack of a decent word processor is the only obstacle remaining (for me).

I'm also not a *real* programmer, so right now I can't contribute that much. That said, after a whole day spent hacking, I found the source of the bug that crashes AbiWord when you open up the Format Table dialog box and I submitted a patch to the devs. That's my very first code contribution to open source (albeit it was just a faulty XML file)! Hopefully it will get merged upstream soon, especially because I think it may be linked to a number of AbiWord bugs on the tablets. I will upload new binaries later today.

Proudly being hosted on a 770 ;-) Visit gopher://canterbury.doesntexist.com:70 for more information.
thank you very much for your hard work. as for you, a working version of abiword would be big for me (n810 diablo).

Is it possible for an alternate download link? It isn't working for me...

Is it possible for an alternate download link? It isn't working for me...
I put up an alternate download link for all you people who can't use gopher .

Also, I've been in touch with the AbiWord devs and it turns out that the Hildon code is considered "unmaintained" at this point. I've been unable to get in touch with Hubert, whom I assumed was continuing his previous work in releasing AbiWord 2.7.6 for Maemo, but I don't think that's the case anymore. Thus, I don't think that there are any plans to come out with another "official" build for Maemo.

So I guess this makes me the AbiWord unofficial "maintainer" for the Maemo build. I don't have CVS access or anything like that (yet), but I will continue to try and fix bugs and generally bring AbiWord to a usable state for the internet tablets. I will continue to update the packages and post my results here on this thread. Actually, I just fixed another bug (selecting text with multiple fonts/styles and pressing the font button crashes the program) this morning and I will post the new package up here later today/this week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earksiinni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Is this available for the N900?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/