Today's xkcd comic has one glaring omission, the Maemo platform. In the ensuing discussion though, it seems to be getting plenty of love. Fess up, who has posted in there already?

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
hard to talk about something that is not widely available...

specially since the north americans are getting bombarded by droid and iphonie ads...

if nokia doesnt step up the marketing game with n900 this phone will be remembered as "10 of the worst marketed best devices in history".

A fair point. I have yet to see the N900 mentioned anywhere offline.

The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
This is getting ridiculous - xkcd is not a handset advertiser. Nobody knows what an N900 is and it's not even out yet!

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
xkcd does generally play up its geeky in-the-know sort of image, so not even mentioning the N900 is a bit odd.

Originally Posted by sharper View Post
This is getting ridiculous - xkcd is not a handset advertiser. Nobody knows what an N900 is and it's not even out yet!
While you are, of course, correct, I would have expected at least some mention, especially considering the demographic and the image of xkcd.

Mind you, I'm biased.

Originally Posted by Red View Post
While you are, of course, correct, I would have expected at least some mention, especially considering the demographic and the image of xkcd.

Mind you, I'm biased.
The only way it could be mentioned in the context of the comic would be "Is there an N900 app for that? Oh wait there are no N900 apps". Application support is the N900s greatest weakness (as a new platform) so the last thing Nokia or an advocate of the device would want would be for it to be mentioned in that context.

Well actually in my head, I was hoping for something a little more like this: Name:  jailbreak.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  23.9 KB

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
On xkcd it could easily have been in the title text as
"With an N900 you could be restlessly producing your own app. And your own kernel."
Or something. There's a reason I don't write a massively popular comic

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have yet to see the N900 mentioned anywhere offline.
It's almost as though Nokia is targeting their always-connected Internet device at users of the Internet. Wacky.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: