Given the great new graphics processor in the n900, there's really a great opportunity to create a lot of nice-looking games for it. Bounce Evolution is a great example of this potential. Right now, we don't have any really excellent OpenGL 2.0 engines ported to Maemo 5. This makes it much more difficult to write a 3D game, since you would need to use openGL to implement your own graphics engine.

I would suggest we port an existing 3D engine to Maemo with support for openGL ES 2.0. There are a number of existing engines for linux that may or may not have support for ES 2.0.

Candidates include:
OGRE
Irrilicht
Horde3D

Let's get started figuring out how this community can get a 3D engine on the n900 by exploring our options for 3D engines!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dmj726 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Ogre is nice, good bindings for other languages too. Though it's quite a big project.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Well I'm game for helping out though I am just going to start on ES. Should there be a brainstorm on this one to gather like minds or possibly a garage page for the project?

Purely from past exposure I've seen more mention of OGRE than the others.

I've been following ogre for years, makes sense to me.

From what I can tell OGRE has a *massive* community. It can get quite complex though and may (or may not) take significantly more effort to port.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
IIRC OGRE already has an OpenGL ES backend, but was fairly incomplete and only 1.1 when I last checked (~6 months ago). It's not pretty (whatd'ya expect from an ogre ? ) but quite usable.

Unfortunately, the ES 1.1 backend will not be of much use on the n900.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Why not? It supports Ogl Es 1.1 .

be a bit of a hsame not to use the shadery goodness of OpenGL 2.0 ES........................

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
i've used irrlicht in the past and it seemed quite nice (I've tried to get into ogre, but gave it up because of the complexity (for my use-case) - could be even bigger problem for usage on mobile devices)..

A year ago, there already was some opengl es 2.0 support (and 1.1 even sooner) - they are probably working on polishing it right now...