Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Having faithfully paid the 50 euros to register with Ovi Publishers several days ago, I have been happily working on my upcoming application, preparing for the release of the new N900 store which I was assured is in the last stages of finalization.

I have spent many years in Canada operating doing very legitimate and legal development as a sole proprietor, as long as one pays taxes, there is no necessity to incorporate as a company, as this is recognized as an important element of trade (not everyone who does business can or will incorporate).

Today my Nokia Store / Ovi Publisher account was disabled and locked out, because I am not a corporation.

Nokia does not recognize individuals or sole proprietorship as valid business entities, and as such only corporations may publish through the Ovi store. Needless to say, as a legitimate businessman, I feel incredibly let down by Nokia, and the Ovi policies. These policies are going to prevent 95% of application developers from publishing through nokia, leaving only the choice of giving our work away for free (which is fine if you're into that), or trying to establish an independent distribution channel which is going to be incredibly difficult.

Nokia should ensure that they either recognise sole proprietorships as legitimate business entities, or make it very clear - and i mean 72px font clear, that they do not allow individuals to publish through the store.

I moved over from Apple because of their policies and increasingly corporation-centric publishing rules. I'm really sad to say that it looks like I made a mistake, and without a distribution channel, Nokia has left me, and many other future application developers high and dry.

I know I'm feeling emotional, but right now I just feel like forgetting I ever heard about the N900. This sucks

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Uh. I think this really needs sorting out. It doesn't sound right at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, that was discussed recently, and some of us have been wracking our brains for an easy solution...

My idea is to form a loose consortium if that will work. In fact I started the LinkedIn group maemo daemons with that as part of the rationale. I have not yet dug any deeper, but if anyone has I hope they chime in!

EDIUT: code177, it might help if you could forward me the email you received, if you like.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-17 at 20:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
You can't even register in the UK if you don't have a VAT reg number, and to get one you need to have a yearly turn over of £67,000.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Make sure to also add your complaint to the maemo.developers list.
This is ridicilous from Nokia. I hope it's a misunderstanding.
Quim? :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My idea is to form a loose consortium if that will work. In fact I started the LinkedIn group maemo daemons with that as part of the rationale. I have not yet dug any deeper, but if anyone has I hope they chime in!
Surely the bar to entry needs to be lower than any formal business, or consortium? The world is absolutely full of sole traders and partnerships and the like. Can Maemo really afford to turn any of them away at this stage of the game?

While only generally applicable in the U.S (AFAIK)....forming an S-Corp or LLC as an individual is pretty easy and cheap. If you are doing a lot of independent contracting and such, it's a good idea anyway to protect yourself (and your personal assets) from liability should a business relationship turn sour and litigious.

Yeah, I'm afraid the revenue issue is going to be the big sticking point. But I feel this is a battle worth fighting and will do what little is in my power to try to change policy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
From my reading here http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=185445 it seems they might be accepting smaller businesses next year. There's also an email address you can contact about getting a refund.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sharper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Surely the bar to entry needs to be lower than any formal business, or consortium? The world is absolutely full of sole traders and partnerships and the like. Can Maemo really afford to turn any of them away at this stage of the game?
I agree to an extent, and don't take "consortium" to mean corporation-- at least, not the way I'm envisioning it. In my opinion even not-for-profit organizations or perhaps even developer clubs should be able to join the Ovi store.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: