Notices

I think this was answered somewhere but i cant find it... Do things like MSN/ICQ integrate with the built in IM?

Yes if you have the add-on from the extras-testing repository.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Ah cool Thank you for that information!

Most people use Yahoo Messenger and AIM...why not support these IMs and just MSN??

Because they are closed protocals that can only be accessed by reverse hacking or permission from those companies (e.g. a form of their own client). But AIM and Yahoo will also work with an add-on from the extras-testing repository. (It's pretty much taken from Pidgin I think).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Because they are closed protocals that can only be accessed by reverse hacking or permission from those companies (e.g. a form of their own client). But AIM and Yahoo will also work with an add-on from the extras-testing repository. (It's pretty much taken from Pidgin I think).
What are you on about? Afaik AIM and Yahoo are just as open as msn and ICQ. Either way the haze plugin supports all of them, and its integrated just as the other protocols. Haze is not stable yet though. In time.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2009-11-15 at 22:35. Reason: typo

AIM, Yahoo, and MSN (not sure about ICQ) are all closed protocals. E.g. the companies behind them (AIM, Yahoo, and Microsoft) don't support any client besides their own. Any client you use that uses their protocals (Pidgin for example) isn't officially supported or recognized by them. Thus when AIM, Yahoo, or MSN changes something you sometimes get breaks in Pidgin and have to wait till the developers of Pidgin find a workaround or whatever

Hence why Nokia is not bothering to offer this by default (answer to romanianusa) and hence why we have to go through something like Haze instead of having out of the box support.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
By just as open I meant just as closed, duh

AIM and ICQ is the same protocol these days I believe.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Is it possible to run a multiple MSN Messenger accounts at the same time on N900 ?

Originally Posted by rusti View Post
I use account-plugin-butterly from extras-testing. http://maemo.org/packages/view/accou...gin-butterfly/
hey how did you install that on your n900?

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo