Notices

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Zuhälter View Post
Usually when someone says "fact" they produce that fact with a quote from a reputable source with a link. You speaking about your 13 friends doesn't impress me. You and your friends are who? Jesus and the 12 apostles? In addition, that doesn't constitute "abandoning Myspace like the plague". As mentioned by previous users, Facebook does have a larger online community, almost double to be exact. However, the audience that still uses Myspace uses that site on average 100 minutes more a month than Facebook users. Myspace is a site for artists pure and simple. If you are a band, musician, producer or even a visual artist, Myspace is the place to get your work out to the masses. Even if you aren't an artist, Myspace allows those who want more than a bland white background with a touch of blue to personalize their pages.

Oh, I also have both accounts (Myspace and Facebook) however do use Facebook much more often. Like mentioned earlier, when I feel like finding a new band no one knows about, I log into my Myspace account to check out what is new, fresh and hot. When I want to check on my friends to see who has went from "In a relationship" to "Single" or is "really excited they didn't miss the season finale of House" I go on Facebook.

http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2...tats-for-2009/
Thanks, you pretty much made my point for me. When Facebook starts allowing artists to upload and play songs directly from their fan pages, why would you then bother with Myspace? You wouldn't.

I don't need to give you a link... just look at Myspace these days. And I don't care if I impress you.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-11-19 at 14:19.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
When Facebook starts allowing artists to upload and play songs directly from their fan pages, why would you then bother with Myspace? You wouldn't.
http://www.facebook.com/escapehatch

(look middle left)

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-11-19 at 21:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Berlin
Thanks, you pretty much made my point for me. When Facebook starts allowing artists to upload and play songs directly from their fan pages, why would you then bother with Myspace? You wouldn't.

I don't need to give you a link... just look at Myspace these days. And I don't care if I impress you.
I am looking at Myspace these days and I read and don't go on my own self inflated opinion (hint hint) Myspace has it's core users. I would even venture Zerojay you are white and above the age of 28? I say that because Myspace is still very popular among minorities and people under the age of 25. So you and your friends may have left it behind and think it's dead, however it still has it's loyal fan base that won't be leaving anytime soon. THAT link I'm still looking for, read the article in the online NY Times section.

And why this visceral reaction to Myspace anyway? One social networking site isn't all that different than the next. They all allow us to re-connect with people we didn't like in the first place and read really mundane info about their boring lives.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuhälter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Myspace is garbage... it's a "who-can-have-the-most-glitter-art-and-nickelback-songs" contest. Any *real* information somebody might want to share is tucked away neatly in an obscure blogs box. It's all filler. Facebook is almost entirely pure content.

Content > filler (but I didn't need to tell you that).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
No, sorry... Facebook exploded because people were abandoning Myspace They were tired of ******ed profile pages and autoplaying music players. iPhone might account for a few hundred thousand, if that. We're talking about a flood of millions upon millions here... far more than the iPhone's sold in its lifetime. Saying the iphone is the reason for it is completely delusional.
Exactly why I never liked it. I only joined because a girl wanted me to as she had a page.

Anyway, if this is something missing from other phones, why not bring it to the N900 ? Won't it be great to have the media/artistic types jumping on the N900 and ditching their iPhones?

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
please dont integrate any more of these "social" sites. this is no toy. its serious business.
Ideally it would be a downloadable widget/app that can integrate into the device. Entirely optional. While I may not bother getting it, christexaport and others will, so what's the problem ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Zuhälter View Post
And why this visceral reaction to Myspace anyway? One social networking site isn't all that different than the next. They all allow us to re-connect with people we didn't like in the first place and read really mundane info about their boring lives.
The big point here is that most of the people here developing are probably going to be over the age of 28... the ones that have long since abandoned Myspace, so just don't hold your breath for integration because most of the people won't bother wasting their time with it at this point.

The N900 is being marketed towards the people who are at the cutting edge of social networking. If Myspace was still relevant in this space, which they aren't, you would bet that Nokia would have widgets preinstalled just like they do for Facebook. (No, I wouldn't exactly call Facebook "cutting edge" social networking either, but...)

The closest thing that we'll see is integration of MySpaceIM which Haze already supports. (I believe it's not integrated into the packages on the N900 yet because it's not quite stable.)

Again, I'm not against having it integrated or any other social site for that matter. I'm just telling you why it's very unlikely to end up happening. Call it a self-inflated opinion if it makes you feel any better.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-11-19 at 21:25.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Without meaning to blow smoke on the app idea - what about integrating these into the relevant points on the OS?
Adding friends - contacts with their entries as for any other IM point so onlienn shown in same way etc and start chat in same way.
Latest posts - widget on screen for that.
post images/music - use the Share functionality, maybe from the widget.

If this makes sense then does the OP fancy putting it out in a brainstorm then post a link for people to vote and get things started?
Nope, not a smoky response at all.

A MySpace widget would need to do some, but not all of the following:
- view/search+add friends
- view/post latest status updates
- search friends
- post images/music
- stream music from friend's pages
- integrate with Contacts app on device
Some of this is already doable, much of the rest would seem more like a mix of plug-in functionality to contacts, and then the preferences within the contact's widget to make it happen.

If the API is nice, then it wouldn't be a far-fetched idea to see this across other social networks. I think that Mark Hendrickberg(sp?)'s microfeed backend supports some of this too, so it would be something that's not too far from something that could be done.

Whether or not there's enough of a market for it *here* with current developers is one thing; there are enough users that it could be a nice feather in the cap for Maemo and Nokia's music-oriented operations. For that alone, it might be worth persuing for those developers so inclined.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Even if Myspace is visually speaking nowadays to many people what private webpages were in the 90es, it does have its users (me too, though maybe every 2 weeks only while I use facebook daily).
So complaining about how the Myspace webpages look there is not really... constructive, but we all know that. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
People don't realize that MySpace isn't Facebook. Its a place for performance artists and musicians and their fans. Some people use it like Facebook too, but that isn't its focus. Media streaming and sharing are the focus. And while they are big globally, in the US, Facebook is only marginally bigger than MySpace, and as someone else pointed out, MySpace is popular with minorities and the counterculture. You guys act like Facebook is the only game in town, but the numbers are surprisingly closer than you think. Look for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rking_websites

I only asked for myself. I and my business associates use MySpace as part of our independent music promotion strategy, and with resounding success. I've used it since the beginning, as have many of my friends, and we prefer the more customizable interface and media streaming options. And MySpace is so irrelevant, Tweetdeck decided to add MySpace support, covering the three most popular social networks.

If you have no interest in MySpace or a MySpace widget, you're in luck! It will hopefully be an optional install. And if you don't want it, don't use it. But there's no need to crowd this thread with your disdain for the app or the service. It makes it hard for the developers to read through the thread and find the ideas that users will want.

It seems like everytime a user makes a request for a feature or an application, a smear campaign and opposition party ensue. This is counterproductive, and borderline hostile. Is that the type of community we're building? The world isn't just about Facebook. There's Orkut, Beebo, MySpace, Twitter, Adult Friend Finders, and many others. They all serve an audience, and all of them may or not include you. But the N900 is an international device. Don't always think from the perspective of you and your friends. There are billions more out there with different tastes and choices, and they all deserve attention.

I use MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Ovi, and Twitter. Along with other social networks, too. There's not just one platform, one party, one social network. Sad that the nonconformist Linux community wouldn't espouse the idea of access, choice, and options.

And no one mentions MySpace's media licensing deals, that ensure it will be the top spot for media.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-11-21 at 04:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: