Notices

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
That doesn't appear to be true, based on actually looking at the data. The iPlayer flash streams are h264 for everything except the lowest quality (in get_iplayer terminology flashlow).

The resolutions of the streams are:

flashlow : 384x216 VP6 1012 Kbits/s
flashstd : 640x360 h264 485 Kbits/s
flashhigh : 640x360 h264 830 Kbits/s
flashvhigh : 832x486 h264 1533 Kbits/s
flashhd : 1280x720 h264 3200 Kbits/s

The bitrate figures are all taken from an episode of the 'The Think Of It', but they should be representative. I think the flashvhigh looks like a good fit for the N900's screen, but it remains to be seen whether (even with the DSP offload) it can handle the bitrate.
Yep, i think the flashhigh one is the most likely one. I think the flashvhigh will be too much at least for the current N900 firmwares. Thing is iplayer's website defaults to flashlow which is unplayable due to it being vp6 so we need an app.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
I thought the iplayer streams had stopped using VP6 by default since the 2.0 update? I remember the new bloke in charge making a big deal about moving to H.264

EDIT: Going by this table from beeb hack it looks like flashlow is only used by the wii, which is what I'd expect. But there is another option for broadband streaming using VP6... Maybe that is the issue after all. I thought youtube used the VP6 codec though? I was assuming the issue was the non optimised flash H.264 codec.

Last edited by dtrouton; 2009-11-20 at 11:33.

Just tried playing a stream on my desktop browser and it reports as H.264 640x360 480kbps

So I'm back to thinking it's the H.264 codec which is the problem

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Could be flash 9.4 isn't using the dsp effectively for h.264. either way that stream should be fine when using gstreamer. I hope to have a quick hacked up app done by end of weekend that browses and plays iplayer stuff on n900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
I'm pretty sure the flash H.264 is either not optimised or not using hardware acceleration. The open bug on this was actually closed with a comment that it would only be resolved when an optimised codec was available (I'm sure I read somewhere flash 10 would support hardware acceleration of codecs, but I can't swear to it).

I think you're right, the stream though gstreamer should pick up the hardware accelerated H.264 codec and it should be grand.

If there is anything I can do to help let me know (I'm a software engineer with a background in video telephony, so this interests me!). Good luck getting something going.

I hope that zaheerm manages to make progress on his integration of BBC's iPlayer into Zoutube or a similar application, but - in the meantime - the 'bigscreen' version of BBC iPlayer works very nicely for BBC radio on the N900. (Video does work, but only at a frame or two per second, just like the main iPlayer web page, as it is limited by the same codecs, of course).

Anyway, you can find the 'bigscreen' version of iPlayer at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/

This was originally developed for the WII version of iPlayer, but is generally available at the URL above. There's more about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...w_bigscre.html.

Simon

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Hmmm you mean I could hear the last match of the ODIs at work on Friday by this method? What do I hits for 5 live extra... or isn't it there?

Originally Posted by dtrouton View Post
I thought the iplayer streams had stopped using VP6 by default since the 2.0 update? I remember the new bloke in charge making a big deal about moving to H.264

EDIT: Going by this table from beeb hack it looks like flashlow is only used by the wii, which is what I'd expect. But there is another option for broadband streaming using VP6... Maybe that is the issue after all. I thought youtube used the VP6 codec though? I was assuming the issue was the non optimised flash H.264 codec.
can someone try by changing ua to n96 or iphone or samsung omnia hd

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Hmmm you mean I could hear the last match of the ODIs at work on Friday by this method? What do I hits for 5 live extra...
Well, BBC Radio 5 live sports extra is certainly available (in the UK, at any rate). Visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/radio and click on the green '5' logo to get 5 live sports extra listings.

Assuming ODI = One Day International, you'll probably then see the Cricket listed under most popular...

(I hope this img embedding works - I took the opportunity for my first experiment with Ovi image sharing!)

Simon,

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Perfect! Thank you. Though I shan't be in the UK on Friday. Hav to make do with the dynamic page, I fear.