Notices

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Can anyone confirm if the browser support xmarks?
http://www.xmarks.com/

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
Can anyone confirm if the browser support xmarks?
Well, it installs, and the "Preference" button for it opens a new window, but that window is blank. It's not an add-on I've used before, so I couldn't tell if it was doing any of what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Well, it installs, and the "Preference" button for it opens a new window, but that window is blank. It's not an add-on I've used before, so I couldn't tell if it was doing any of what it's supposed to do.
It's a plugin that lets you sync your bookmarks with a (their or your own) server so that you always have the same bookmarks on multiple machines.

And you need to enter account details. So it won't work.

Maybe Weave will..

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
I've read reports of weave working. If thats the case you could have weave and xmarks installed on one browser and sync using that (unless you don't use a firefox browser anywhere else)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
It's a plugin that lets you sync your bookmarks with a (their or your own) server so that you always have the same bookmarks on multiple machines.
Thanks! The web site seemed to indicate that, but like most product websites these days, the feel good fluff outweighed the actual details to such a large degree it was difficult to be sure what all I should expect.

And you need to enter account details.
zerojay and qole have had some success installing Firefox plug-ins in the Maemo 5 browser and avoiding the configuration problem by copying working configurations from other machines. That might work in this case also.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Xmarks is a "must have" plugin for me on my desktop and laptop machines. I will try it out when my N900 arrives. (That may be end of December according to Dell.) I hope Xmarks works. If it doesn't, there is a good chance we can encourage the developer to fix any issues.

Maybe someone with an N900 now can report the exact problem to the Xmarks forums/support.

Weave is also an option, of course. But I will try Xmarks on the N900 first, as soon as I get mine.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
zerojay and qole have had some success installing Firefox plug-ins in the Maemo 5 browser and avoiding the configuration problem by copying working configurations from other machines. That might work in this case also.
That might work indeed.

The question is if you really want your desktop bookmarks on your N900 or that you want special ones for mobile use..

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
That might work indeed.

The question is if you really want your desktop bookmarks on your N900 or that you want special ones for mobile use..
On my N810, I use mostly the same bookmarks except for Gmail...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Xmarks is sh*tty anyway, since they collect your bookmarks data for data mining. And manipulates your Google results by default. Just use Mozilla's own Weave, it does the same thing, better.

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-20 at 16:54.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Xmarks is sh*tty anyway, since they collect your bookmarks data for data mining. Just use Mozilla's own Weave.
Does Weave have all the features of Xmarks? Last time I tried Weave, it didn't even work properly (but that was a while back).

Xmarks works pretty well for me. No complaints.