Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I am an audiophile and have been listening to N900 on and off since Summit.

I am not a phone buyer, so i cant com.are there, but compared to N810'S (UNATTENUATED) monster output, this feels 2-3 db quieter.

Headphone jack hasnt gotten real critical listenng but so far it really hasnt offended. (and i do own hybrid electrostatics and ulitmate ears 5.1 earbuds)

Note if you listen to music VERY LOUD, you are destroying your hearing slowly.

EDIT if you want to compare this phone to serious dedicated DACs i will beg Reggie for a "shush please" button.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2009-11-21 at 06:30.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
I am an audiophile and have been listening to N900 on and off since Summit.

I am not a phone buyer, so i cant com.are there, but compared to N810'S (UNATTENUATED) monster output, this feels 2-3 db quieter.

Headphone jack hasnt gotten real critical listenng but so far it really hasnt offended. (and i do own hybrid electrostatics and ulitmate ears 5.1 earbuds)

Note if you listen to music VERY LOUD, you are destroying your hearing slowly.

EDIT if you want to compare this phone to serious dedicated DACs i will beg Reggie for a "shush please" button.
Good to hear! err good to know! Thanx!

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Thanks for the response.

Actually, with line-controls, I meant play/pause/next song/prev song. I am not that knowledgeable in this area. I use a Creative EP-630 that I got them in a deal. Do you think that is good earphones for N900. EP-630 also doesn't have line-controls.
EP-630 is very decent for its price. Though if you can up your budget a little, I would recommend Crossroads Mylar Hippos. Really great value for its money.

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisLoh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisLoh View Post
EP-630 is very decent for its price. Though if you can up your budget a little, I would recommend Crossroads Mylar Hippos. Really great value for its money.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...und-up-441400/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...-v-3-a-450407/

Well, for most non-audiophiles, the ep630 and cx300 are good enough (i have both). They are both MUCH better than the stock earbuds that are included with phones/mp3 players

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Having used my phone for a couple of hours, I can confirm that the sound is excellent. I was listening to music on the subway all the way home from the store (luckily I had a micro SD with a bunch of music in my DSi). The sound from the speakers can fill a room.

The first time I used the phone was to call my wife in Finland and the sound clarity was insane compared to the iPhone3G I've been using for the last year.
What is the sound level from headphones compared to the iphone? I like my music very loud and worried the n900 may not be loud enough for me. I know it's apparently meant to have better sound quality from the 3.5mm jack than iphone but I'm not an audiophile and what matters to me is loudness.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
What is the sound level from headphones compared to the iphone? I like my music very loud and worried the n900 may not be loud enough for me. I know it's apparently meant to have better sound quality from the 3.5mm jack than iphone but I'm not an audiophile and what matters to me is loudness.
The EU will soon put in place regulation that will peg loudnesss to save nutters like you from destroying their hearing thus causing the taxpayer a lot on hearing aid.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The N900 headphone output is a LOT louder than the N810 was (no idea how it compares to the iPhone), I cannot listen to it on max settings even in ballads or non-orchestral classical music. But then again, my ears are not blasted yet

The bad news for loud-music listeners that it's like an addiction. As your body adapts, you will need bigger doses (more dB) just to keep the perceived level of loudness. And after you cross the physical damage level, nothing will sound loud anymore.

The EU regulation is AFAIK just for the *default* volume level. Yes, there were players that play on max volume so they would sound more powerful compared to others you might want to try out in a shop.

Also, the max limits will hardly work out as it can be (and already is) broken with recompressing/mastering with higher gain values. The output levels are the result of a mix of HARDWARE and CONTENT. If you calculate the limits for a worst case scenario, 'normal' music will be (literally) unusably quiet.

Originally Posted by franklinn View Post
The EU will soon put in place regulation that will peg loudnesss to save nutters like you from destroying their hearing thus causing the taxpayer a lot on hearing aid.
Lol. It's not like I always listen on the highest possible volume. But many songs I have are of much lower volume. If the device I am listening on has a very low maximum volume then those songs will be just too quiet to enjoy.

Although given that I have been paying £4k a month in income tax I think I have more than earned the right to have hearing aid provided to me for free.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The N900 headphone output is a LOT louder than the N810 was (no idea how it compares to the iPhone), I cannot listen to it on max settings even in ballads or non-orchestral classical music. But then again, my ears are not blasted yet

The bad news for loud-music listeners that it's like an addiction. As your body adapts, you will need bigger doses (more dB) just to keep the perceived level of loudness. And after you cross the physical damage level, nothing will sound loud anymore.

The EU regulation is AFAIK just for the *default* volume level. Yes, there were players that play on max volume so they would sound more powerful compared to others you might want to try out in a shop.

Also, the max limits will hardly work out as it can be (and already is) broken with recompressing/mastering with higher gain values. The output levels are the result of a mix of HARDWARE and CONTENT. If you calculate the limits for a worst case scenario, 'normal' music will be (literally) unusably quiet.
Thanks Dad!