Active Topics

Notices

Penguinbait: OK, I've installed OPEN-ROX apparently all right on my MMC, and it does look great. Now, I just have to figure out/get used to working it. On boot-up, it states the following:

1) "Applet quit without ever creating a widget!" What does this mean?

2) "Error saving panel /home/user/.config/rox/sourceforge/ROX-filer?pan_Default: Permission denied." Is this anything I need to be concerned with?

Anyway, as I said, it looks great, and it'll sure be interesting (and fun!) to run it through its courses. Many thanks -- and congratulations. Regards, Jim

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
How About some email -- This will create a Email Icon/Menu entry in Office

cd /
tar jxvf /path/to/sylpheed-install.tar.bz2

From Tools menu, > "Menu Refresh" (Note this will restart ROX) Any ROX windows will be closed, all other windows will remain intact.

http://penguinbait.com/sylpheed-install.tar.bz2

If you decide you want to remove it, from xterm, run rmEMAIL.sh

Note, its a little hard to setup the account because of the window size, once I filled out everything, I was able to press OK, with the dpad enter, even though I could not see it. Once up, it was pretty useable, Give it a try, you can always delete it. Also if you have any other versions of sylpheed on your system, you may not want to install this, I am not sure if it would mess it up?

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Penguinbait: OK, I've installed OPEN-ROX apparently all right on my MMC, and it does look great. Now, I just have to figure out/get used to working it. On boot-up, it states the following:

1) "Applet quit without ever creating a widget!" What does this mean?

2) "Error saving panel /home/user/.config/rox/sourceforge/ROX-filer?pan_Default: Permission denied." Is this anything I need to be concerned with?

Anyway, as I said, it looks great, and it'll sure be interesting (and fun!) to run it through its courses. Many thanks -- and congratulations. Regards, Jim
The error message can be ignored, it will happen everytime you drag items to the desktop/taskbar. When it is locked it will error, it will leave the item on the desktop/taskbar when locked, but restarting ROX they will be gone.

The error saving message is because your desktop and taskbar are locked, in order to not have to edit a file to fix accidental drags. If you want to add an ICON to the desktop or taskbar. You must first unlock them, (Tools > Desk-Task Settings > Unlock)

I recommend leaving it locked unless you want to change something. Everytime you try to drag something and you accidentally drop it on the desktop/taskbar, you have to edit a file to remove it. I will work on a better solution for this. So many little things to make better.

I can see, I am going to have to make a page, detailing more information. All of this is documented, it past versions and other posts.

Penguinbait: I will look forward to (and watch for) your eventual central collation/compilation of useful and accessible documentation. I recognize that this will no doubt prove rather time-consuming for you, and I will strive to exercise appropriate patience. Thanks again. Jim

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Thats Correct, it will use up a little more, because of whatever block size you used when creating your partitions. if you save a 2k file on 4k block, it will use the whole 4k. So it comes out to be a little larger, roughly 98-99 I think
Some 100 Meg uncompressed... That would be less than 60 Meg in compressed jffs2 format. Should fit fine in the flash memory unless your packed up already....

jlbrd, did you install python before, starting openbox? I have no 770 to test with, but it should be working? Are there other 770 users, using OPEN-ROX with it working?

I am going to have to buy a used 770, or see if someone will donate one
I have the same results as jlbrd on a 770. White Screen, then after reboot, stops at ~80%. Any thoughts?

OK, maybe this is stating the obvious, but. Do not attempt to boot from it if you can not switch to it. If it does not work one way it wont work the other. You need to boot to hildon, ssh to 770. as "user" run swm3.sh and see what if any output you get. You can also run "sh -x /usr/bin/swm.sh" this might give you better output.

ps -fe | grep ROX

ps -fe | grep openbox

Penguinbait: On my installation of OPENBOX-ROX on my 770, I in general cannot figure out how to close down whatever application I might be in (i.e., Rox-Filer), and more specifically, I cannot close down (get out of) the white Internet connection screen. Which buttons for accomplishing such am I not seeing?

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
OK, maybe this is stating the obvious, but. Do not attempt to boot from it if you can not switch to it. If it does not work one way it wont work the other.
This is confusing to me. Does it apply specifically to this new Openbox/ROX package ? Because with the previous WM6 archive, I was never able to switch from Hildon to WM on my 770 (as several others have also reported). However, I can boot to WM and back just fine...

It should be the same on the 770 as the n800 I think,.

minimize window option is bound to the (zoom -)
(Toggle) maximaze window/restore window is bound to (full screen)
close window is bound to (zoom +)

These are the three buttons on the top edge of the 770/800 You can also click on the x to close the window, its small but there, if it is not, perhaps something else it wrong?