Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
IMHO, it is somewhere between arrogant and ignorant to start a thread called "were previous Maemo releases this buggy", because it implies that Maemo is quite buggy - when in fact it is a very stable OS. It also does not make a difference between the OS itself (Maemo) and the Application installed (Nokia default apps, 3rd party apps).

I've been extremely pleased with the featureset, quality and performance of my N900 during the last weeks (especially when compared to my wife's N97 :-)
Hmmm. May I draw your attention to N900 bugs

I am encouraged that most of the issues reported are for apps/clients and not with the underlying platform, drivers and services. (exception to that is Mail For Exchange support which should have worked 100% right out of the box in my opinion) The beauty of Maemo is that Apps/clients can be replaced by other products developed by the community, so issues with them are not as important in my mind than with the underlying platform.

I suppose reading the feedback on this forum I had expected a lot more "Wow!!"s and am surprised with the number of issues which have been reported. Seems there is just a lack of final polish as I'm sure that Nokia was under alot of pressure to get this out the door. Nothing that can't be fixed by software updates however.

This thread has helped me understand that:
- updates to this device are a lot easier to manage than other devices. (i.e. it requires a lot less overhead to do package releases than a whole firmware update)
- the Maemo community is in general more technically savvy than the average platform which will supplement the effort by Nokia to resolve these issues.
- Maemo is open and allows the community to develop alternatives to the stock set of applications provided by Nokia.
- we can expect Nokia to provide us with at least a couple of updates to the device and we can influence which items need to be worked on by raising and voting on them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to verhagke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
As written before you can choose "Update all" from the menu.
For installing, feel free to vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=601 .
Ok, thanks will do!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
Hmmm. May I draw your attention to N900 bugs
I think this is the list you're looking for (no 3rd party apps, no enhancement requests).

(Still, 79 items, 7 of which being of high or critical severity...)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think to be honest... the answer is yes... previous initial Maemo releases were buggy until a few updates later.

Diablo, the very last update that will ever come out for the N810 is very stable. Glad it is, to be honest.

This device is gonna be picked up by the general public, so this Maemo forum can expect to attract a number of people who are not particularly techy. Something that will help those people greatly is to feel that they are welcomed, rather than ridiculed, to this community. They can learn things by ASKING QUESTIONS or REPORTING PROBLEMS, neither of which should be treated with hostility. Obviously some people will just troll etc, but I think there is a real danger of elitism on this forum.

Not accusing anyone in particular, cant be bothered, but just felt it was worth saying.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stemfour For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
As a Diablo user, I can't wait for you to have to put up with "Fixed in Harmattan".

That said, the Diablo OS does seem to have gotten stable before they abandoned it. It's more the extra capabilities and apps that never seemed to have gotten updated.
What happened to your phrase "Handled in Harmattan"?

Originally Posted by stemfour View Post
This device is gonna be picked up by the general public, so this Maemo forum can expect to attract a number of people who are not particularly techy. Something that will help those people greatly is to feel that they are welcomed, rather than ridiculed, to this community. They can learn things by ASKING QUESTIONS or REPORTING PROBLEMS, neither of which should be treated with hostility. Obviously some people will just troll etc, but I think there is a real danger of elitism on this forum.

Not accusing anyone in particular, cant be bothered, but just felt it was worth saying.
That all depends on the first impression they give.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
exception to that is Mail For Exchange support which should have worked 100% right out of the box in my opinion
... Syncing things never work at 100% ... in every products sync has always failure exception ...