Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
Yes of course, but what actually is that feature? What does not work as advertised? Scrolling isn't 100% smooth when scrolling so fast that you can't read?

It's quite difficult to QA a device to perfection if you want to release something sometime. The thread starter is in my opinion an exception among users as the scrolling issues don't seem to bother other users anywhere near as much. Even if it did, the wording of the subject is populistic and sensational.

Based on hype and forum posts I would tend to think most early customers would have rather taken the device with much more bugs already 2 months ago than waited until now even.
Hi,

You have to realise that a number of people (not just on this forum) are not happy with the user experience and lack of features on this device. There expectations will be guided by the marketing material and their previous phone.

You can argue roadmap, you can argue community, but the bottom line is this is a commercial product which Nokia is selling and marketing to its end user customers, this is not a Devboard being sold to a developer.

I am sure there are many more people than the members on here waiting to get their hands on the n900. I suspect the delays are due to firmware updates!

Personally the n900 looks great, but seems not to offer support for features I have had on mobile devices (nokia) for years.

With this in mind I am seriously considering upgrading to the htc hd2 instead as it supports all the features I need out the box.

MB

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I still vote for some1 to close the topic since everythin has been discussed more than once ¬_¬

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
Hi,

You have to realise that a number of people (not just on this forum) are not happy with the user experience and lack of features on this device. There expectations will be guided by the marketing material and their previous phone.

You can argue roadmap, you can argue community, but the bottom line is this is a commercial product which Nokia is selling and marketing to its end user customers, this is not a Devboard being sold to a developer.

I am sure there are many more people than the members on here waiting to get their hands on the n900. I suspect the delays are due to firmware updates!

Personally the n900 looks great, but seems not to offer support for features I have had on mobile devices (nokia) for years.

With this in mind I am seriously considering upgrading to the htc hd2 instead as it supports all the features I need out the box.

MB
I think you missing the point of the N900...
And secondly it's not supposed to have all the Nokia phone.

This device is foremost a tablet/mini computer what ever want to call it and then it happens to have a phone in it. NOT the otherway around...

My Blog

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Honestly, I haven't seen those. Can you give me pointers to recent reviews?

I'm not arguing anything. To me the complaints just aren't 100% reasonable. But I'm probably more easily pleased than some.

Meaning they are upgrading the FW of packed phones before they ship to customers? Maybe, but sounds unlikely based on my knowledge of production, shipping etc.

Like what? That is your right of course, I just don't understand what is so wrong with N900 that voids all the really good/excellent/geeky things in it. Is the scrolling really that bad then?

Originally Posted by stobbsc View Post
I think you missing the point of the N900...
And secondly it's not supposed to have all the Nokia phone.

This device is foremost a tablet/mini computer what ever want to call it and then it happens to have a phone in it. NOT the otherway around...
Again, look at most of the reviews. And the maemo ui your tube videos which show phone functionality. This device is being sold to be used as a phone as well as an always connected internet device.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Its a duck!

lol!

MB

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Markina-Xemein, Bizkaia, Spain
Poor little ugly duck...

The Following User Says Thank You to kkhitzat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
Honestly, I haven't seen those. Can you give me pointers to recent reviews?

I'm not arguing anything. To me the complaints just aren't 100% reasonable. But I'm probably more easily pleased than some.

Meaning they are upgrading the FW of packed phones before they ship to customers? Maybe, but sounds unlikely based on my knowledge of production, shipping etc.

Like what? That is your right of course, I just don't understand what is so wrong with N900 that voids all the really good/excellent/geeky things in it. Is the scrolling really that bad then?
If and end user is not happy with a device, this is resnoble. Look im not interested in arguing with "fans" of the device who will love it no matter what.

I am talking about standard no programming end users which will pick up the device and have expectations based on the marketing and other nokia devices they have used.

They may well be processing firmware updates which would have explained the month + delay after the inital test review units.

Personally I am not bothered if there is a stutter and checkerboard on a device when im trying to scroll down a webpage like im on drugs lol.

Its just the basic stuff that nokia phones have had for years which the n900 does not have. Google maps, an office application which allows you to edit , decent email support which works correctly. Being able to backup all content on the device easily and restore without crashes e.t.c.

I know this will just start another arguments with a bunch of fanboys but its a fair comment as an end user.

MB

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
It appears that a lot of you want Nokia to become more Apple-like.

Considering the draconian nature of Apple and their ever secretive stance that adds an aura of mystery feeding the media frenzy culminating in never-ending nauseating ads plus utter 'distortion of reality', God forbid !!

NOKIA is rugged and RAW; can be annoying and disorganised but I'd rather have it that way than have yet another CATHEDRAL which does computing no good in the long run.

Read today's news on Apple, yuck.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11...snt_trust_you/

I honestly think, without any malice intended, that you should.

Clearly the N900 is not for you.

If Nokia did lowsy on communicating what the N900 is, then that is certainly their problem. I don't think, though, that this is whole truth - much of that misperception has occurred in the public. Also because the N900 is so attractive, a lot of people want it and want to like it - and are disappointed because their expectations were not in line with what the product was and was about.

But that indisputable fact is, the N900 was not intended to be what you are asking of it. It simply was not. If this was missed in the public or in the marketing, then that is a flaw, but N900 is not for you.

Check out the stuff Nokia chose to highlight on their product-page:

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

N900 is a bad product for your needs. Nothing wrong in saying that out loud. I knew this buying in, because I read the materials Nokia has put out, I read the roadmap. It is in their internet tablet lineage, not phone, and it has a special place in the Maemo plan.

If this was miscommunicated somewhere, or if Nokia made a unwise move in introducing a device that is bound to cause confusion, those are points to be argued. But you are asking, and disappointed when not, the product to be something it wasn't designed to be.

BTW: This is not to say N900 might have flaws that need fixing and are true flaws (like bugs etc.), but feature-wise it was never intended to be a consumer-ready, full-fledged smartphone.

I know this will just start another arguments with a bunch of fanboys but its a fair comment as an end user.
It would be, but the N900 is not a consumer-space end-user phone. You are asking for things it was not meant to be. Did someone miscommunicate it? Perhaps? That would be a flaw. Is N900 what it is because Nokia is late? Certainly. That is why N900 is the second-to-last step in taking Maemo truly consumer.

Last edited by iJanne; 2009-11-27 at 14:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
And I do get it: the N900 is confusing to people. Many say it is a phone because it is listed under "phones" in Nokia.com.

Yes, it is listed here.

But so is its predecessor, the N810. Which clearly is even less of a phone, no GSM/3G there.

It is a small niche Nokia plays in (and they don't have a clear place for it in their marketing) that now has big designs for the future. This is confusing and I'm sure overly eager salespeople world around have done their best to confuse this.

When one resets their expectations and perspective to N810 -> N900 jump and the Maemo roadmap's Maemo 5 before consumer Meamo 6 plan, it is clear where the product actually belongs to and what to expect of it.

I am sure there is confusion in the public (especially since many Nokia outsiders are actively comparing N900 with iPhone), and the argument that Nokia made a mistake in introducing a product bound to cause confusion is certainly an arguable one, but I just don't see how the truth behind it all could be confusing.

Clearly the N900's position and intent in the grand scheme of Nokia is not vague, when truly drilling into it, even if its public image might be? Right?

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever