Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by God View Post
The headphone is the antenna for the receiver.
ok, so it DOES work just like with other phones.
that calms me down.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Bakersfield, CA
I noticed that in my cars mitsubishi eclipse and nissan versa hatchback that if the n900 is strapped to the ceiling of the cars I get a very good reception. But I have to figure out a way to run the charger cable. Would it be possible to use a 8 foot usb extension cable to get the length I need to hide the cable? I think the max length to transmit data is what about 15 feet without having to boost the signal? But i will be just supplying power. I'll figure something out.

Hmm is the only way to use the fm transmitter through the media player?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I think that once activated, all device audio is broadcast via the FM transmitter.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
"I think that once activated, all device audio is broadcast via the FM transmitter. "

Yes it can be activated from general parameters for example

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=cddiede;396048]
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
It depends on how well the inside of the vehicle is isolated from the car antenna. The higher class of the vehicle, the worse for the transmitter.]

Well, I drive a Mercedes Benz E320 so I guess I'm screwed....
Thanks for the clarification!
I have an E320 CDI, on mine, there is a connector in the glove box for external audio. Can you use the TV out cable to connect to that?

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
[QUOTE=Novurania;396315]
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post

I have an E320 CDI, on mine, there is a connector in the glove box for external audio. Can you use the TV out cable to connect to that?

Yeah, I would love to do that, but I didn't get the external audio option on my car.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
The worst is when you manage to find a frequency that isn't being used so you get a nice sound coming through the cars speakers and then you actually drive somewhere.

It then wrong especially when you are not staying locally because as you drive radio stations decide to use YOUR frequency.

I have not tried this on the n900 but I imagine if you lived in the Antarctic or somewhere else as densely populated it work quite well. However, if you live in a large city with lots of commercial and pirate radio stations then save yourself the hassle and just don't bother.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Maybe you could do something hackish like attach a piece of wire to the antenna then feed it inside the car - so that you effective have an internal antenna.

Of course it would be even neater if you did that to the antenna connection behind the car stereo. If your car has a removable stereo it should be possible.

I know under the right conditions even the cheap iPod transmitter I bought off eBay can easily drown out local stations so it shouldn't even be a problem if you drift in/out of range of REAL stations using the same frequency. Its all down to how well the stereo is picking up your transmitter vs the real one. Obviously if its struggling to begin with then the real station is going to easily be stronger.

If you really want it badly enough you could completely disconnect the external antenna in favour of rigging one internally in the car but then you might lose reception of real radio stations, as you would have the reverse problem.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2009-11-27 at 19:05.

Posts: 3,391 | Thanked: 4,385 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
Another question would still be interesting, is the transmitter draining the battery alot (like 1-2 hours and the battery's down) or is it ok-usage?
Not at all. I have the feeling that playing through the speakers would drain battery faster than when using the FM transmitter.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 fm transmitter week