Active Topics

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

The OP is right maemo.org is the real competition and membership should be almost a pre-requisite to purchasing a devise. If you can't handle membership then maybe the N900 isn't for you. If you somehow slipped through the cracks because of peer pressure or whatnot,
Hardly anyone knows about the N900 so exactly what peer pressure are you talking about?

I am the only one among my friends, family and work colleagues who know about the N900.

It was kinda cool demoing the multi tasking to my friends

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

The OP is right maemo.org is the real competition and membership should be almost a pre-requisite to purchasing a devise. If you can't handle membership then maybe the N900 isn't for you. If you somehow slipped through the cracks because of peer pressure or whatnot, bought the N900, and are not happy in some way, we could gently direct you to the "Wanted" thread and you can move on.

Actually I do think that Nokia should have sold the n900 to people in this community first. Then let all the newcomers have it in the later shipments so the community is first prepared. That way people that have the devices to develop software, test it, report bugs, etc..

As it is now anyone who pays the price can get in and wind up complaining (this doesn't do X like the other smartphones do) or misunderstanding things (such as us warning people away from red pill mode because it has the potential to brick your device or warrant a reflash).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The reason why people don't want other users to talk about red pill mode is because it's not meant for end users, can very easily (potentially) brick your device as well as make you lose all your data.
Exactly!
Telling normal users to enable red pill mode and telling normal users to use Extras-Devel or Extras-Testing is simply dangerous. Everybody please ALWAYS add a big warning when speaking about these. Also see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=343619

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
So

I mean wow

You're actually saying that people like myself, end users, those with little knowledge of linux should not have the device

I can't stop laughing

Unless another forum / community springs up the N900 is doomed

I post my thoughts and get told I shouldn't have the device

N900 and Nokia will die a real slow death if this attitude is prevalent as it appears to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to maemojedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Maybe i missed something but how did you install snesoid to N900? I thought it was android program.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by maemojedi View Post
So

I mean wow

You're actually saying that people like myself, end users, those with little knowledge of linux should not have the device
What the hell are you talking about? It's not that "you should not have the device", it's about "you shouldn't do stuff that can potentially brick your device"

If you are sure you want to take the risk, go ahead, enable Red-Pill Mode, enable Extras-Testing and Extras-Devel and do whatever you want, but don't complain if anything goes wrong.

We aren't being "mean bastards hiding information". These things are meant only for advanced users and developers. Can you say that you are an advanced user or an developer?

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-28 at 23:26.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by phreck View Post
this makes me lol like no other. cry because people dont just throw everything you want at you, then turn it around on the community? ****ing horsecrap man. your only competition is yourself. google things for crying out loud....
If only he owned a device that allowed him to use the web wherever he was. WHY WHY is there no such device .....

Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by maemojedi View Post
So

I mean wow

I can't stop laughing

Unless another forum / community springs up the N900 is doomed

I post my thoughts and get told I shouldn't have the device

N900 and Nokia will die a real slow death if this attitude is prevalent as it appears to be.
See here is what happens

Step 1: whine about not knowing how to install an extras package that can potentially brick your device
Step 2: Whine about us not sending you or directing you ROMs which is illegal and you could find yourself with 2 minutes of googling
Step 3: Finally figure out how to install package
Step 4: Brick device
Step 5: Whine about how you bricked your device and the n900 is stupid and we all suck because we wont help you fix it.

The issue here isnt that we are hoarding our information - its that we are trying to stop you doing something that can be potentially hazardous to your N900. If however you will sign a statement that allows us to point and laugh at you if/when you brick your phone - i am sure someone would be happy to help you and the rest of us would be happy to point and laugh.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
If however you will sign a statement that allows us to point and laugh at you if/when you brick your phone - i am sure someone would be happy to help you and the rest of us would be happy to point and laugh.
Sign me up for the pointing and laughing.

Here's an example of my performance:

Haha

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
What the hell are you talking about? It's not that "you should not have the device", it's about "you shouldn't do stuff that can potentially brick your device"
Amen. Maemojedi is missing the most important point of all: Personal responsibility. By not researching stuff yourself, you are not accepting that whatever unstable software you install is your own responsibility. You may say it is now, but once you sit there with your bricked N900, you'll probably come on here shouting at the person who made the program that bricked your device. And if not you, then someone else will.

* Developers create stuff and release it to repositories with different levels of stability.
* Only the topmost one (extras) are ok to install for anyone.
* If you don't know how to install stuff from extras-testing or extras-devel, then you shouldn't. It's a community built failsafe against screwing up your device.
* And finally: It is out of respect towards the developers that we don't spoon-feed you the solutions. What if one of the most anticipated applications ends up bricking your (and several other users's) devices while it's still in testing? You and the others will be shouting at the developer and worst case is that he/she calls it quits and we never get the anticipated program. We can't afford to lose any developers.

You are calling the community members elitist. They are the ones who risk bricking their devices by testing unfinished software (and the ones who likely know how to fix it when it happens). One of the perks is getting to try software before it's actually released to the public!

On a separate note, these "elitist" community-members also realize that telling you is a lot more work than it seems at first. You'll likely screw up your device sooner or later and perhaps they would be willing to help you screw it up, but no one is ready to help you fix it if you're unwilling to research stuff yourself and just ***** and moan about it instead.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money