Active Topics

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Creativity?
What?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Symbian has long had Python support, and it didn't turn it into the app superpower. But it does mean quick apps will be more plentiful. But Qt means much more, IMO. Good article, nonetheless.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets911 View Post
I'm a bit skeptical.

What kinds of things would be possible in Python that haven't already been possible (or have already been done) with the current languages already available? (On Android, iPhone OS, etc)

It might get more people to play around with hacking or developing sure. But that doesn't mean it'll lead to any new huge breakthroughs or anything. Am I missing something here?
Productivity. Python is (mostly ) clean and simple, plus it's dead easy to interface to libraries and has quality bindings for most frameworks, which gives a good potential for fast development. It's not a miracle cure, though.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I'm a bit skeptical.

What kinds of things would be possible in Python that haven't already been possible (or have already been done) with the current languages already available? (On Android, iPhone OS, etc)

It might get more people to play around with hacking or developing sure. But that doesn't mean it'll lead to any new huge breakthroughs or anything. Am I missing something here?
Did you read the points I listed in the article about why I think Python is so important and powerful for the N900? Did you follow the link to ESR's article on Python? Do you disagree with any of it?

Python on Maemo > Python on Symbian

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

I'm addicted to Python, but I'm also addicted to multi-threading. So, if the GIL of Doom isn't gone by the time I'm ready for a multi-core ARM, I sure hope someone will have figured out a single-source Python-prototype/Vala-production solution by then. Or something.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Easy on-device development.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm addicted to Python, but I'm also addicted to multi-threading. So, if the GIL of Doom isn't gone by the time I'm ready for a multi-core ARM, I sure hope someone will have figured out a single-source Python-prototype/Vala-production solution by then. Or something.
Have you seen the multiprocessing module ? Don't let the 2.6 sticker scare you, it has been backported to 2.5.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Python is really good with the Web2.0 stuff. It has ready made interface libraries to most common community web page APIs out there and it rocks with XML, JSON and HTTP. Someone also pointed out that Python on Symbian didn't attract people. No wonder, writing UI with Symbian (pre-Qt) is as painful as it can get.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Have you seen the multiprocessing module ? Don't let the 2.6 sticker scare you, it has been backported to 2.5.
If that's the silver bullet I'll be very happy, thanks. 2.5, 2.6, 3.0. I don't care; just give me something that works. This might be the best paragraph I've read in weeks:

multiprocessing is a package that supports spawning processes using an API similar to the threading module. The multiprocessing package offers both local and remote concurrency, effectively side-stepping the Global Interpreter Lock by using subprocesses instead of threads. Due to this, the multiprocessing module allows the programmer to fully leverage multiple processors on a given machine. It runs on both Unix and Windows.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Python is really good with the Web2.0 stuff. It has ready made interface libraries to most common community web page APIs out there and it rocks with XML, JSON and HTTP. Someone also pointed out that Python on Symbian didn't attract people. No wonder, writing UI with Symbian (pre-Qt) is as painful as it can get.
Don't get me wrong, Python for S60 has a large following, but what I meant to say was it didn't make it into the iPhone as far as apps go. The best thing for making lots of apps appear is higher quality toolkit support and a marketing push to get people interested in industrialized countries like the US interested in downloading the apps. The reason Symbian hasn't gotten the dev love that other platforms do is because it isn't as popular in the US, and the US drives the app wars because of the ubiquitous nature of always on all you can eat data plans vs the opposite in BRIC markets.