Active Topics

My N900 came in today and I am trying to use the Nokia Multimedia Transfer tool for the Mac to connect to it. I was able to connect my N97 and E71 using this tool but I am unable to connect the N900.

I need to connect to this tool to my N900 so I can sync my iTunes playlists etc.

My Mac connects successfully to the N900 via bluetooth but the Nokia Multimedia Transfer tool will NOT find the phone (just spins and spins). I disconnect and successfully reconnect to the Mac via bluetooth but it will not connect with the Nokia Transfer tool. I connect the USB cable and select PC Suite but it still will not connect. In fact, it has forced me to reboot my Mac a couple times.

Has anyone successfully connected their N900 to their Mac using this tool? I have a Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM running Snow Leopard. I wonder if it is not compatible with Snow Leopard but the download page says "Leopard".

Nokia Multimedia Transfer Tool for Mac: http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...nsfer/download

Thanks!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
The Nokia Multimedia Transfer application 1.4.1 for mac to is not compatible with N900. You can find that out by typing "N900" into the provided "quick search" field under the "compatibility" tab in the middle of the page you linked.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Just use mass storage mode and drop your music in. I doubt you'll be able to sync your iTunes playlists anytime soon.

EDIT: you could actually use doubletwist to sync your music. I think that'll pull your itunes playlist info, allowing you to sync it to the N900. But essentially all it does is drop the music into a folder. So while you could sync your playlist content over, the playlists themselves wouldn't be preserved on the device. You'd have to download it and try it out.

The other thing with doubletwist is that it seems they force you to sign up for an account which I don't particularly like. I read that you can use it without signing up, but didn't see an obvious option to bypass the sign up.

Last edited by sadfist; 2009-12-02 at 03:40.

You can try iTuneMyWalkman. It works with any device that can be put in mass storage mode, i.e., any device that shows up as a disk on the mac.

I have been using it with my Nokia 5800 and mac but haven't yet set it up for the N900 - I only just got that yesterday.

iTuneMyWalkman:

http://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/itunemywalkman/

Hey sadfist, thanks for the heads up on doubletwist...I am going to try it tomorrow..needs me some sleep now.

I wonder if anybody has gotten it to work with the N900.....

Originally Posted by BigMaemo78 View Post
Hey sadfist, thanks for the heads up on doubletwist...I am going to try it tomorrow..needs me some sleep now.

I wonder if anybody has gotten it to work with the N900.....
I used it once but its pretty slow/lame. It lets you use an iTunes like interface to copy stuff to the N900, but it ultimately just dumps the music in a folder. The only advantage I saw was in copying a compilation, since iTunes organizes it in separate folders by artist, it allows you to select the whole album and drop it in.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
This one works with N900 and iTunes:
http://www.salling.com/MediaSync/mac/

basic free version works fine, can sync playlists

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uris For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uris View Post
This one works with N900 and iTunes:
http://www.salling.com/MediaSync/mac/

basic free version works fine, can sync playlists
Ah hey! I saw that a while ago and couldn't for the life of me remember the name. Thanks! Gonna give that a shot until I can find a decent iTunes replacement.

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
Ah hey! I saw that a while ago and couldn't for the life of me remember the name. Thanks! Gonna give that a shot until I can find a decent iTunes replacement.
Salling here. Remember to enable the option "Check for beta versions" in Salling Media Sync's settings, as the N900 is not yet supported in the public 1.1.4 version, only in the recent beta releases of 1.1.5.

The Following User Says Thank You to salling For This Useful Post:
I like using mass storage when able to connect USB and if there is something new i want to download i just wget it to my MP3 dir.

God I love this N900!