Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
X-File1=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bokeh_0.jpg
X-File2=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bokeh_1.jpg
X-File3=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bokeh_2.jpg
X-File4=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bokeh_3.jpg
Is that path correct? .images is not a directory, and is not where the images reside, as per your instructions.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Is that path correct? .images is not a directory, and is not where the images reside, as per your instructions.
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso26+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Nokia-N900-42-11:~# ls -d /home/user/MyDocs/.images/
/home/user/MyDocs/.images/
Nokia-N900-42-11:~#
For completeness' sake: Images in the File manager/File chooser dialog does map to that .images folder. So, yes, it is the correct path, and yes, it does exist.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
For completeness' sake: Images in the File manager/File chooser dialog does map to that .images folder. So, yes, it is the correct path, and yes, it does exist.
So is that a thumbnails directory?

PS: Never mind. I see it now. When you chose "Save Wallpapers", "Save to device", and choose the Images folder as the destination, that is where they are sent. Sorry. I am having to visualize this since I do not yet have my device. I am still waiting, waiting, ...

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2009-12-01 at 20:30.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Ok, I've tried that with two different sets - one .png, one .jpg and I get offered both sets in the 'change background' dialogue, but I'm not seeing any images, and they're not loading. They're definitely there though.

So what is not quite right on that text file? Have I done something wrong?
The fact that the sets show up in the background dialogue means your .desktop files are in place. The fact that you see no pictures is most likely due to an incorrect path in the .desktop file.

Are you able to open the .desktop file with a text editor? Can you confirm that the paths to the four image files are correct (that they point to an existing file)?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
As far as I can tell, it's all correct. But it's ot seeing the pics, despite them being in the right place (Where I think they're meant to be).

Using the bubbles set the .desktop now says:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Background Image
Name=Bubble Colours
Hidden=True
X-File1=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bubbles_0.png
X-File2=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bubbles_1.png
X-File3=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bubbles_2.png
X-File4=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/bubbles_3.png
X-Order=01
That's the MyDoc/.images folder correct. Though the n900 file manager calls it N900/Images. On the USB mass storage it appears as N900/.images - but the path as displayed is what the video says to use.

Maybe I just wait for Prismic.

BTW, I have an idea for a scrolling desktop and zero artistic skills... wuld anyone like to discuss a commission?

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Please can someone explain to a bear of very little brain how to actually get some of these onto the device. Do I need to download (and install?) prismic first? Do I d/l them to the pc and transfer? (If so which folder?) Do I just d/l direct and they'll have whatever is needed to make them install?

I'm not overly impressed with the wallpapers that n900 came with and some of these are amazing.

Pretty please?
Original thread - quite a bit of info in here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33410

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
BTW, I have an idea for a scrolling desktop and zero artistic skills... wuld anyone like to discuss a commission?
Just reading about your issues, sorry can't help for the moment (no device to play with), but what you have posted looks right, maybe that thread above will help you out.

I would be happy to make a desktop for you......or a least try......I have just started learning but if you send me some ideas I could give it a go? Some of my stuff is on N900wallpapers (under same username) - its very rough because I am a photoshop newbie but it would be nice to have a more complicated project to work on PM or here fine

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Doing it that way only gives me the single image on the single screen... and I don't get the 'looped' effect
Yep, you have to do it four times. Whichever desktop is showing when you launch the photo browser is the one whose background will be replaced.

So "save image" from n900wallpapers.com four times, then (one-by-one) set each of those images as the background image for one of your four desktops.

Voila! A new looping background without editing the .desktop file (not that people need to be afraid of editing .desktop files).

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by epilido View Post
I wish just once I would see you say here are some panoramic Dallas Cowboy Stadium, Six Flags over Texas, or Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

Instead all I see is request and complaint.

don't get me wrong complaint is useful, but anyone could easily search google for images and upload wallpapers.

Epi
wow. You hardly know me, yet you say that.

I ask for what I want. I see nothing wrong with that. I'm no imaging guru, so graphics isn't my forte. But writing, interface design, music production, mobile experience, and public relations are areas I'm always happy to help. I've offered FREE music to anyone needing it for videos, etc. It costs alot of money to produce the quality and type of music I specialize in. So it may seem like I'm always asking, which I see nothing wrong with, I bring something to the table as well.

I already have my own wallpaper. I wanted the site to feature some locally flavored options for the many users here in the Telecom Corridor and DFW in general, and possibly other locales for everyone to enjoy. I sited some artwork to give an idea of images to use. The ones I offered are actually copyright protected, and only inspirational pieces.

I'm actually in the process of making a community ringtone library, but getting the samples cleared takes time and sometimes money I don't have, and getting the ringtones EQed for the typical dynamic range of phone loudspeakers is tedious work.

When I'm done, feel free to ask for a copy. In the meantime, I didn't ask you for anything, even your opinion, but its all good. Your approval of my actions isn't something I'll ever need, and its absence won't be something I'll complain about anytime soon.

What do you know? I just GAVE you my two cents. See? I'm not all ask and take. I'm very generous.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
How hard can it be to take a working .desktop file (for instance .abstract1.desktop), modify it in notepad and put it back along with four images correctly referenced? Why are people having such problems?

One thing that comes to mind is that I only connect to my N900 using SSH. When I tried connecting using USB, I was suddenly unable to see any files in my home directory on the N900. Apparently mounting the N900 to a computer makes files temporarily unavailable to the device itself. If you are having problems, could you try unmounting first and then choosing the wallpaper you just uploaded?