Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
- Make the backspace key a universal back button. It will take you one space back from wherever you are, or take you back to the home screen. The backspace key is perfectly located for this, and would make it function just like the Motorola Droid.

- Make the shift key bring up the multi-task menu. As far as I know, the shift key doesn't do anything outside of a text entry field, so why not let the shift key also multi task when not on a text field? A long press could bring you to the home screen.

-Improve the icon quality, and allow the option for the name of the app to be displayed along side the icon when placed on the desktop.

-Allow the icons to snap to a grid on the desktop

-Improve phone. Yeah i know phone second, step 4 of 5 bla bla... the bottom line is that most people are going to be sorely dissapointed by the phone aspect.

- Allow the option for the arrow keys to navigate between links on the short press, and scroll on the long press.

-Reduce time to long press on the desktop when selecting icons.

-The auto screen rotation is wayyy tooo slow. It makes the auto portrait for the phone app almost pointless.

So yeah, the phone isn't perfect, and hopefully these issues can be sorted out, because it has tons of potential. The way it is right now, I don't think I would keep it, but I'm holding out to see if any new firmware updates fix these things. Also, when the device sees more hands some progress may be made.
Thanks for that - ignoring the winge winge people - i agree there are some good ideas (Havn't got mine yet, so still jealous!) ... but to me they sound like sensible requests
Brainstorm / bugzilla is your friend - would be good to get them put in there

And when i get my device finally, i'm hoping to pop over there n vote/request them too!

Good points! Dont mind the maemo fanboys.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
My cons:
-People writing this reviews

If you didnt know what was coming with the phone either you were too lazy to ask the seller or you were living under some rock in mars for the last couple of months...
So you have a problem with people writing reviews...since they should've already known about all issues....from, I suppose, reading reviews...that you have a problem with.... *head explodes*

There was nothing wrong about this mini-review, all these contain valuable information for people coming to the forums to find out about the device. These sorts of hostile posts are bad for the whole forums. In other words: HangLoose, please shut up.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Seems like iPhone pic is out of focus. No sharp point there.
I was like, wtf - is the iPhone camera THAT bad?

surely its out of focus...

My impressions after a week of usage, these are only points of that can be improved.
The list of what i like is just to long...

The fist few days the battery did go down quickly yes.
But currently now i am more in my normal usage, it can handle a full day pretty easy.
But i do think that there are things that drains the battery (like large inbox which is fixed for the next firmware if i am not mis informed)

First i miss voice dialing when i am in my car, this for example is a much higher prio then for example MMS, if it was me dont bother implementing that at all
What the use of MMS is besides paying a lot of money to the operators i don't know.

What i do find strange is that the DateFormat is depended on language not region setting. How come?
That is a region setting, not a language setting. But it should be completely configurable if you ask me. give me an option to set a date format completely free of language or region settings
I guess a fixed list could be possible if there are enough choices..
But currently i am ok with the UK language and the Dutch region (i don't want dutch language on my phone or on any electronic device that i have)

What i do notice is that not all clicks are really coming through. But this is not the hardware screen itself as far as i can see. Because the click is somehow coming through because i see selection, i hear the click sound,
the link being highlighted but the link in the browser (where i see it the most) is not really clicked. It seems to me that the balance between is it scroll or really a click is not completely configured right.
I think there is some area of improvements here.

Calendar
Birthday Alarm. Only day before? i want same day around 10..
I want to have default alarms on all my Birthday entries
Birthday: only in widget when within 2 weeks, i always want to see them..
Default view open view, remember last view i was on. I almost always want to be in month view.
New event, remember last used calendar, now it always goes back to the default N900 calendar.
better google exchange support (works a bit but not completely)

Music player
Sort by album artist, i really mis this option, now i always do artist but then it is garbage and with albums it is a random mess...
Album art? I cant figure out what it needs for image and what the name it should have. Some do have album art but most don't.

Email
imap idle support, this is really quite annoying that i don't have this. On my E90 with profimail i had perfect push email.. The current way of polling as much as possible drains battery.
many times the email doesn't open when clicking on it in the taskmanager.
when it does open through taskmanager that email cant be deleted you have to go through the inbox (the trashcan is disabled)
Deleting an email goes to the next email, i want to go to the list(inbox)
inbox is slow, but this is already fixed for the next firmware, i believe it was constant sorting of all the mail. the fix only does the top 200 or something.
i also hope that this fix is the same when deleting emails and so on. the cpu usage does spike then, which i dont always expect to happen.

Web
bookmarks view, if you start typing there it should filter/search the bookmarks (awesomebar of FF)
When i am in zoomed in mode like double tab and i click a link the browser should first zoom out before repainting the next page now it is a 2 step first if see a portion in the same zoom level as i was in and then it zooms out
weird thing is that this is not always the case on every website, but it is on my-symbian maemo forums.
The browser is 1 of the biggest cpu hog component (together the email client and large inbox currently). I really hope that this can be optimized further on

Contacts
skype birthdays are not mapped to contact/calendar birthdays

phone app
If i have a number that is not in the contacts but is in the call list, i have an option to sms. But a know contact/telephone number that is in the call list i suddenly don't have the option to sms it. I really have to open the contact card and then press sms.

IM
Sometimes i get a message but the contacts/im window isn't or doesn't open, only see it in incoming message widget, i guess this is the same thing with emails that don't open when pressed. I then have to go through the conversations app to really reply to it.
Incoming message widget should have an option to open the im window to reply on it
Incoming message widget does show last message fist this should be reversed else i read threads to the same person in reverse order thats confusing
No attachment support, it would be nice if a skype person sends me a file that i get to option to save it.
Incoming im seems to take a lot of cpu sometimes, i do have a large history maybe the same problem with sorting it like the email client had? Even when the im window is in the background i see the floating popup the cpu spikes and its very hard to open the im window fast, it really seems that displaying the history is taking a lot of time.
it would be nice if talk/skype/msn had 1 combined history

Maps:
This is really the worst part in my eyes..
On Sunday when i followed a route, the map was constantly jumping around, it seems to me that it constantly thought that i was on a different location. But when i turned of track me and clicked my self the Red button of my current position it always had it right..
The next day i tried it again but didn't have that constantly jumping around problem. But the map is lagging a bit behind. I was already stopped at a point and then the maps app did 3 more jumps before it was on the place where i was now.
Also when stopping it changes rotation sometimes. It shouldn't do that. It should only change rotation when i am moving again.
The general search box is nice, but we should really have a address search box including typeahead or how TomTom it does with a keyboard that only shows the possibilities that still can be pressed.
In general it missed a lot of features Maps 3.0 on Symbian already has
I hope they improve the maps a lot and that they add voice navigation and no it doesn't have to be free. If the program works like Maps 3.0 i have no problem paying for it.

Stability:

N900 did reboot now on its own 2 or 3 times in 8 days and one time had to take the battery out my self, are there any logs to see why?

What happens to me more often is that it looses contact with the sim card. i have to type my pin code for my sim card now and then because it did loose it.
I still have to look into this a bit more and see if it is not just my sim card or a problem with the connections.

what happened to me yesterday was that i got a out of mem error and it told me to close all applications before i could start another application.
It was a pity that i didn't have the Terminal open at that time because closing down all applications didn't improve it. I had to reboot myself
Weird thing is that the load applet didn't show any big memory use i think only 2 bars.. So i think some other type of handles (file handles) run out of something..
I hope if this happens to me again that i have a terminal window open and i can check these things. Any pointers what i should check then?

This is really quite a list of things that could be better or should be better, but don't think i don't like it.
I love the device, it is finally a replacement of the E90 but it could need some fine tuning.
And i know that i am an early adopter in that area so most issues don't bother me to much.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
So you have a problem with people writing reviews...since they should've already known about all issues....from, I suppose, reading reviews...that you have a problem with.... *head explodes*

There was nothing wrong about this mini-review, all these contain valuable information for people coming to the forums to find out about the device. These sorts of hostile posts are bad for the whole forums. In other words: HangLoose, please shut up.
Hostile post? I guess you are a very sensitive person... sorry if i hurt your feelings.

And if he can stick out the neck and write a review I have my right as well to say what I think. Oh sorry, was I too rude for you again?

My point is that either we have a "special place" to put this reviews, and we do is called Brainstorm, or we will be flooded with reviews in the forum, and we already are... What was the contribution to the product in a whole? Nothing. If people actually want change it in a good way we already have places for it.

Last edited by HangLoose; 2009-12-02 at 10:57.

Originally Posted by solpete View Post
I was like, wtf - is the iPhone camera THAT bad?

surely its out of focus...
I thought same thing. I retook it a few times, made sure the lens was clean as well. This was against a flat wall so it's not like it could have locked onto something at a different distance by mistake either.

The first one I took with iphone was even worse, but I noticed I somehow got a smudge print on the lens (really easy to do with iphone)

http://pi.pe/mcy6pq -- first attempt
http://pi.pe/c7dl1q -- best attempt

Alright, so here's a quick excerpt of how this phone has changed my life already as an IT professional using all the tools available for me.

Get called at 5:30 AM this morning to fix a WebLogic problem we were having. So I answer my phone, tell the operators I'll take care of the issue and hang up.
Flip open the phone, click on my quick link to VPNC which I have loaded my .pcf file onto from my work laptop, and quickly connect to my works VPN.

Once there, I open up my terminal and ssh to the adminstrative AIX box where I have written some scripts to automate a lot of my Weblogic administration tasks.
I connect to the AIX box, fire off my script, watch as the problem resolves itself, and go back to bed for a bit.

The phone alarm kicks off at 7:20 AM. I get up, take a shower, head to work.
Sit down, link up my phone to the USB adapter connected to my laptop, and sync all my calendar information in Lotus Notes. Meanwhile I check my personal Gmail email, fire up the radio and listen to my morning radio show via headphones.

For fun, I connect my phone into work on the VPN again and open up VNC viewer to connect to my primary LDAP machine which runs on Linux, and I have KDE running on it. So I login to it with VNC Viewer on my phone and play around just because I can and show some friends at work.

Everyone, including the iphone people, are amazed.

I check my phone and see I have a brief meeting at 8:30 AM due to the beauty of the calendar entry being copied over from Lotus Notes to my phone.

My wife sends me a Google Talk IM to tell me good morning as she is off today.

This phone is UN-BELIEVABLE.

Iphone, eat your heart out.

The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
I'm glad that someone is really happy about it.

But most users don't lead a life like you, so all those features are irrelevant to them. There's too much missing on this phone. It needs to adopt the regular day-to-day features.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
That's pretty cool. I need to get VPNC setup as well as rdesktop.

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny